Has there ever been a stranger time than this in modern Canes football?

South AfriCane

Freshman
There's the head coach who spouts gibberish to the media, has lost the fanbase, his staff and probably the players, and who everyone knows (including him) is likely a lame-duck.

There's the AD who has effectively been silenced on football matters and could also be on the chopping block.

There are the current and former players who are posting cryptic messages on social media.

There are the fans who are in open revolt, waiting and hoping for the game that triggers the firings, and unsure whether to root for or against the team.

There is the administration being called out on national TV (albeit by a friend of the program), which ironically may be THE catalyst that brings about change.

And then there's the team itself with a 2-3 record but less than halfway through the season and on paper all their preseason goals are still attainable.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Could you imagine if the internet and social media were around Jimmy's first year (narrative would have been he ruined the program after a natty) or during the time banners were being flown around calling for Butch's head?

*this post is in no way an endorsement of Manny who needs to go yesterday

That sounds like an every three year occurrence round these parts

Lol jk. To be completely honest, this current feeling is the most sure I've ever been of a coach getting fired eventually. Richt saved us by stepping down, he wouldn't have been fired. Golden, I hated that guy so much that every minute felt like an eternity, but I didnt get the feeling g of he would for sure be fired...until he was.

With Manny, the whole world knows it. Hes done. The only thing he can do to save himself is win 9 straight games in very convincing fashion. And we know dam well that aint happening.

Advertisement
I think this is the most important time for the program in the past 20 years. If they get another ****** coach, and the program continues to be dog****, Miami won't be attractive to any major conferences. I still think there could be more realignment but Miami isn't that attractive right now as I think everyone knows the current admin is just happy to cash checks and don't care about attempting to raise the school's brand.

I think this is the most important time for the program in the past 20 years. If they get another ****** coach, and the program continues to be dog****, Miami won't be attractive to any major conferences. I still think there could be more realignment but Miami isn't that attractive right now as I think everyone knows the current admin is just happy to cash checks and don't care about attempting to raise the school's brand.
This is correct.

Advertisement
There is the head coach who spouts gibberish to the media, has lost the fanbase, his staff and probably the players, and who everyone knows (including him) is likely a lame-duck.

There is the AD who has effectively been silenced from football matters and could also be on the chopping block.

There are the current and former players who are posting cryptic messages on social media.

There are the fans who are in open revolt, waiting and hoping for the game that triggers the firings (of coach and AD), and unsure whether to root for or against the team.

And then there's the team itself, less than halfway through the season, with a 2-3 record but with all their preseason goals still attainable on paper.

Have I missed anything?
This happens every 4 years.

Could you imagine if the internet and social media were around Jimmy's first year (narrative would have been he ruined the program after a natty) or during the time banners were being flown around calling for Butch's head?

*this post is in no way an endorsement of Manny who needs to go yesterday
Jimmy did beat ranked teams that year.

Advertisement
This happens every 4 years.

Kinda feels that way, huh?

2005:
* Coach who won a national title and runs a solid program yet the decline of the program was evident.

2010:
*. Head coach who was a local boy and won the top coordinator in CFB award but had no idea what the fuq he was doing. Fans could not believe he was handed the head coaching job after showing a complete inability to communicate effectively in any way. Seemed to hate his own players, especially the most successful ones.

2015:
* Head coach who was widely regarded and an up and coming hot commodity in the coaching ranks yet turned out to be an incompetent sociopath who only knew how to imitate his mentor, who incidentally turned out to be a child molester.

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

2021:
* A failed sports media analyst who tried his hand at coaching (in lieu of having to grow up and get a real job) somehow elevates to the rank of head coach despite having no real history in the sport. Gets exposed as a fraud yet has political connections that prevent his termination.

What will 2025 bring us???

Advertisement
Kinda feels that way, huh?

2005:
* Coach who won a national title and runs a solid program yet the decline of the program was evident.

2010:
*. Head coach who was a local boy and won the top coordinator in CFB award but had no idea what the fuq he was doing. Fans could not believe he was handed the head coaching job after showing a complete inability to communicate effectively in any way. Seemed to hate his own players, especially the most successful ones.

2015:
* Head coach who was widely regarded and an up and coming hot commodity in the coaching ranks yet turned out to be an incompetent sociopath who only knew how to imitate his mentor, who incidentally turned out to be a child molester.

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

2021:
* A failed sports media analyst who tried his hand at coaching (in lieu of having to grow up and get a real job) somehow elevates to the rank of head coach despite having no real history in the sport. Gets exposed as a fraud yet has political connections that prevent his termination.

What will 2025 bring us???
This is a depressing timeline. The entry about Golden was scathing. Ouch.

Last edited:
2018:

Let's not forget his stubborn defense of his son (nepotism learned from the master Bobby B himself) .....
the saving grace was that he stepped down with dignity or we would have been where we are currently since Richt was insistent on calling plays.

For some weird reason I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I didnt see that light when Richt retired and Diaz got hired.
I was driving on i15 in California on my way to San Diego when I saw a big sign says exit i210 Pasadena. Suddenly, all the memories of me jumping on i210 from the same spot and driving to Pasadena to the Rose Bowl about 20 years ago came back. The memories of the championship game when we crushed Nebraska.
For some odd reason I felt the resurgence of the U is coming and I will be going to the Rose Bowl again and soon.
Yeah. It is weird I know.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back