Has there ever been a stranger time than this in modern Canes football?

The 2014 season was the last time I felt this bad about a Miami team in recent memory...

Starting with the opening asskickin by LVille, then losing on the road to Nebraska, then the GTech game & finishing off the season with a 4 game losing streak culminating with a loss to South Carolina in the Independence Bowl.

I never wanted Al Folden hired here in the first place, but by that time I had reached my breaking point, I really really hated that guy (and still do lol) & was so extremely frustrated we didn’t fire him. I wasn’t on this board at that time but I can tell yall without doubt yall would’ve thought I had a mental breakdown with how mad I was that season, I don’t think I’ve ever been that angry before in my life lol.

I’m not as angry about this season, more just tired & defeated. I don’t have any fire left for this year, I don’t even get mad when I see how bad we play, I just sigh & smh...

I felt almost this bad at the end of 2018. We looked awful, Richt looked frail and unhealthy, and we were stuck with the fact that Blake James had just given Richt an unnecessary raise and an extension at beginning of the season. I thought we were stuck with him through 2023. Then Richt did us a huge favor and retired. I had hope for about 3 hours (until the rumors started that Blake James was talking to Temple to bring back Diaz).

Advertisement
although the Central community college game was a win, I don’t count that **** as a win. That was a scrimmage against a HS team. I know, “a win is a win”

The App State game was a win but it was a moral defeat.

kick out the Central win and we should be looking at 0-4.

Right now the program is at a standstill. No one has any belief in the rest of the season. The only reason to watch is to figure out who may play significant time next year. Beyond that, there's nothing to see.

We are bad in all three phases of the game. There's not even a position group that you can point to as a positive. No coach has acquitted himself well on gameday. This season is a zero.

When the next coach comes in- and even if it is Mario- there isn't going to be an instant groundswell of excitement. We've been too mediocre for too long.

It's "show me" time for the whole program right now. No one's buying it anymore.

-I think that the preponderance of the fanbase has come to grips with the fact that the program sucks and is unlikely to ever reach the heights it once did.

-The ambivalence and incompetence of the athletic department is inarguable now. The cycle of despair / optimism has now been replaced by simmering dislike or apathy.

-It feels weird because, collectively, we don't really give a **** about Saturday: we're just holding out hope that, finally, someone will give a **** and demand that some competent, experienced people are given the keys, just to see if the vehicle still runs....

Advertisement
There's a better chance of me growing my **** an extra 6 inches than there is of us winning 9 straight games.
stuck.gif

seems crazy, but i think this is a turning point in program. Herbstriet turned on the nation to what our fan base has know for years.
issues in program start above HC, namely AD,President( who has no idea what a successful athletic program means to a school)
and the BOT. this is first time that a lot of folks are looking at what is really wrong under the hood at Miami.
new AD,( who cleans house) who hires HC, then reassign Frenk to stop the red ink at U health ...... hire a new president

Advertisement
-I think that the preponderance of the fanbase has come to grips with the fact that the program sucks and is unlikely to ever reach the heights it once did.

-The ambivalence and incompetence of the athletic department is inarguable now. The cycle of despair / optimism has now been replaced by simmering dislike or apathy.

-It feels weird because, collectively, we don't really give a **** about Saturday: we're just holding out hope that, finally, someone will give a **** and demand that some competent, experienced people are given the keys, just to see if the vehicle still runs....
Years ago I could never have imagined being apathetic about the Canes but, after 15 years of misery, I find myself feeling just that way.

Last edited:
every last year of the last 3 coaches has felt like this..... looking like chumps on the field... recruiting class going down the drain.. .no fans in the stands... message boards just a wasteland of negativity... hopeful for next coach, but also realizing UM keeps f*cking this up, so not sure if they'll get it right..

we just need a "that dude" to take over and get us top10 recruiting classes every year... 10+ wins every year... play for ACCCG every year.... then Saban retires and some stuff will start to level out again.....

The most disgusting 3 year period in Cane history. Our 2 worst coaches in the 70s were only here 1 year and 2 years
Who was the one year?
Kichefkie?
He inherited Tates 1970 team, after abruptly resigning.
We did beat Florida in the season ender..

Advertisement
I felt almost this bad at the end of 2018. We looked awful, Richt looked frail and unhealthy, and we were stuck with the fact that Blake James had just given Richt an unnecessary raise and an extension at beginning of the season. I thought we were stuck with him through 2023. Then Richt did us a huge favor and retired. I had hope for about 3 hours (until the rumors started that Blake James was talking to Temple to bring back Diaz).
The 2018 season was a rough one, that God forsaken onside kick vs UVA still has me shellshocked to this day lol

But there was still hope because we had just come off the 2017 season where we were playing in the ACC title game (even though we got shellacked by Clemson), we as a team were still just a competent OC & a QB away from turning things around.

I was 100% against hiring Diaz the way we did, I wanted Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell (whoops lol), or possibly a guy like Neal Brown, I absolutely hated the Diaz hire but I was willing to give him a chance because I’m usually pretty fair to most coaches (except for Folden I wanted Folden gone from day 1). It sucks how things completely turned against us a program because Flake James didn’t do his due diligence, but even with all the stress & drama of the 2018 season I still had hope for the program...

Right now, I don’t have much hope unless we get a good HC & find a new AD, I’m pretty certain Diaz gets fired sometime this year, but I have very little optimism this Admin & BOT will make the right hire to replace him. I still think they’re going to be dirt cheap & look for a bargain bin hire, I really hope I’m wrong though.

Kinda feels that way, huh?

2005:
* Coach who won a national title and runs a solid program yet the decline of the program was evident.

2010:
*. Head coach who was a local boy and won the top coordinator in CFB award but had no idea what the fuq he was doing. Fans could not believe he was handed the head coaching job after showing a complete inability to communicate effectively in any way. Seemed to hate his own players, especially the most successful ones.

2015:
* Head coach who was widely regarded and an up and coming hot commodity in the coaching ranks yet turned out to be an incompetent sociopath who only knew how to imitate his mentor, who incidentally turned out to be a child molester.

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

2021:
* A failed sports media analyst who tried his hand at coaching (in lieu of having to grow up and get a real job) somehow elevates to the rank of head coach despite having no real history in the sport. Gets exposed as a fraud yet has political connections that prevent his termination.

What will 2025 bring us???

The most incredible thing about that lists is:

Larry Coker - Promoted OC
Randy Shannon - Promoted DC
Al Golden - Outside hire
Mark Richt - via UGA, former Miami player
Manny Diaz - Promoted DC

That looks so lazy on paper. You could honestly say that Golden was the only attempt at a proper hire, even though it didn't work out.

The Washington win was 65-7. The Syracuse win the week before was 59-7. That still is the biggest combined rout of ranked teams in back to back games in NCAAF history.

For whatever reason, Coker wasn't willing to run up the score the same way against Nebraska. (I think he might have said he respected Nebraska from the Big 8 days or something.)
I thought one of those games was a shutout, no? Either way it was complete dominance. Then we almost blow the next two games before the championship

Advertisement
I thought one of those games was a shutout, no? Either way it was complete dominance. Then we almost blow the next two games before the championship

Yeah, Syracuse was 59-0. You’re right.

Boston College was actually the 8th game. Syracuse and Washington were the 9th and 10th games, and Virginia Tech was the last regular season game.

Yeah, Syracuse was 59-0. You’re right.

Boston College was actually the 8th game. Syracuse and Washington were the 9th and 10th games, and Virginia Tech was the last regular season game.
Good call… my bad memory again (except the shutout). But weird how we almost **** the bed against those two teams and Washington and cuse were the prime matchups. That’s how bad Coker was

Kinda feels that way, huh?

2005:
* Coach who won a national title and runs a solid program yet the decline of the program was evident.

2010:
*. Head coach who was a local boy and won the top coordinator in CFB award but had no idea what the fuq he was doing. Fans could not believe he was handed the head coaching job after showing a complete inability to communicate effectively in any way. Seemed to hate his own players, especially the most successful ones.

2015:
* Head coach who was widely regarded and an up and coming hot commodity in the coaching ranks yet turned out to be an incompetent sociopath who only knew how to imitate his mentor, who incidentally turned out to be a child molester.

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

2021:
* A failed sports media analyst who tried his hand at coaching (in lieu of having to grow up and get a real job) somehow elevates to the rank of head coach despite having no real history in the sport. Gets exposed as a fraud yet has political connections that prevent his termination.

What will 2025 bring us???
I think we’ve got a pretty good idea.

There's the head coach who spouts gibberish to the media, has lost the fanbase, his staff and probably the players, and who everyone knows (including him) is likely a lame-duck.

There's the AD who has effectively been silenced on football matters and could also be on the chopping block.

There are the current and former players who are posting cryptic messages on social media.

There are the fans who are in open revolt, waiting and hoping for the game that triggers the firings, and unsure whether to root for or against the team.

There is the administration being called out on national TV (albeit by a friend of the program), which ironically may be THE catalyst that brings about change.

And then there's the team itself with a 2-3 record but less than halfway through the season and on paper all their preseason goals are still attainable.

Let me know if I missed anything.
This is not strange if u expected this

Advertisement
Back