Hardest CFB jobs (from The Athletic)

Did the people contributing to this article base their opinions from 20 years ago? I wish people would stop talking about bad facilities or the student section being the loudest part of the stadium historical. Gfafb
It’s sad honestly.

Advertisement
we will never old Miami. just hard to pill for anyone to swallow but it is what it is. accepted it long ago. ****, the people leaking **** to the papers are telling you that. ill wait and see if we actually have this money to spend on a proven coach

I think we all know that. The field has been leveled with athletes and money. That said, I argue that we don't have to spend like Bama to be a dominant team. We won't be decade long dominant, but we can consistently be a top 10 team (we could definitely be top 5 if we land a really good QB) and in the era of 8-12 team playoffs in the not too distant future, I think we're good.

Once we get to the level I'm hoping for (top 10 team consistently, good coaches, top 10-12 recruiting classes, etc.), I have no doubt we can compete with the big boys.

All that said, look at how far LSU has fallen. Just shows you how you are a corch/heisman QB away from being bad/good.

Maybe those talking points are talking points for a reason?

Seems like you’re wanting to shoot the messenger rather than blame the ones who really deserve the blame - the admin.

Not building a stadium when Schnelly wanted one, and then allowing the OB to be torn down is 100% on the admin. Now we play on a teal rent-a-field in Miami Gardens, and we’re supposed to be cool with that?

And academic support is 100% relevant because it affects how much time the kids have to hit the jugs machines or get in the film room. The best programs make classwork a breeze so the athletes can focus on their craft.
I made it abundantly clear that I agree with the messenger (fellow Canes fans/alumni that have major issues with the state of athletics) but disagree when the valid complaints get diluted and involve throwing EVERYTHING against the wall and using dumb dated or irrelevant talking points that you're more likely to hear from inbred UiF fans than anyone really focused on our actual issues.

Whining about the stadium? Really? Were we whining about it when Herbie was slobbering over the atmosphere for the Notre Dame game? The stadium is at worst a non-issue.

"Academic support" too? Really? You EVER hear our kids complaining about the academic rigors being too restrictive at UM? You ever hear any of our coaches EVER complain about it even off the record? You ever hear us recently missing out on recruits we really want due to academics?

Focus on the REAL issue and not all the other noise that other programs WISH were real factors with us.

We have a totally inept AD. We have people around him that have also shown to be equally inept when hiring a head coach (sans Richt falling into our lap). We have a school that hasn't yet made the next step in willingness to pay very upper echelon money to get a head coach.

Everything else is propaganda or minutiae.

I guarantee I miss the OB as much as anyone. Get over it.

I think we all know that. The field has been leveled with athletes and money. That said, I argue that we don't have to spend like Bama to be a dominant team. We won't be decade long dominant, but we can consistently be a top 10 team (we could definitely be top 5 if we land a really good QB) and in the era of 8-12 team playoffs in the not too distant future, I think we're good.

Once we get to the level I'm hoping for (top 10 team consistently, good coaches, top 10-12 recruiting classes, etc.), I have no doubt we can compete with the big boys.

All that said, look at how far LSU has fallen. Just shows you how you are a corch/heisman QB away from being bad/good.
Being consistently good isn’t a huge ask. It’s evidently clear you aren’t going to land every big fish right of the rip here but if Manny can land top 15 classes so can any decent coach. There’s absolutely no excuse other than bad coaching why Miami can’t win 9 games a year. Richt rolled in here and won 19 games his first two seasons. Get a decent coach and he’ll win.

Advertisement
People think of the Orange Bowl as ours, but it never was. It was the city's and we used it. As I said, the idea of stadiums built for just one team as all theirs was pretty rare back when it was built.

HRS is directly off the turnpike and I95. What you're suggesting is for anyone south of the school to drive through downtown Miami to get to a stadium. It will not happen. Let's say for a second that some donor ponies up a billion dollars just for a Canes only stadium and somehow they manage to put it down by Melreese where Beckham has supposedly settled, last I heard. You've added at least a half hour for anyone coming from Broward or Palm Beach. There is less space so parking would require a garage and tailgating would be limited more than it is now. A Thursday night game would be an impossibility. Nobody is going to voluntarily drive through rush hour traffic to see the ****** product we put out.

Do you know what's near Melreese? Nothing but the airport. Your vision of a downtown stadium like you find in Chicago will never happen. People just don't walk around Miami like that. It's hot as **** most of the year and everything is spread out. HRS is the best solution for maximizing attendance.

I didn’t have Melreese in mind, I was more thinking about the earlier proposals to put it next to the American Airlines arena.

That might not be probable, but, in my view, it would be optimal.

Elite to me would be a program dominating their conference and making the CFP on a regular basis. Beating other elite programs, using the same definitions, over of a number of seasons, lets say eight seasons for example. This group is Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

The next tier, pick your descriptor, would be OU and UGA. They're close but haven't been able to get over. OU doesn't field a playoff-winning defense, and UGA is faced with playing Bama, UF, LSU, and rest of the $EC without having the right QB.

Can Miami be elite? Can Miami be tier two? Yes, if they were forunate to hire the right coach and fund the neccessary coaching and support staffs. They can have an elite run if that staff were able to recruit a series of special QBs to lead the way.

Tier three would be teams like Penn State, Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Notre Dame, and a few others could have a special season with the right QB but lose to elite or tier two teams and suffer one or two upsets. Can also have a down season in there as well.

This is Miami with good coaching and support staffs.

JMO

We could force every single Miami student to attend the game and it wouldn't fill half the stadium. I swear people really don't understand that we're a small school. Nor do they understand who buys tickets and attends and why the NFL stadium with all its amenities suits us better than other colleges.
I stopped taking the article seriously once I read that. There’s ~12,000 undergrads at Miami and if every single one of them went to games, it would only fill 1/5 of the stadium. The whole “stadium is far from campus” line is just regurgitated garbage spewed by people who don’t know the area or the school. Yes, the stadium is half empty when the team sucks so if you want to play in front of a big crowd, win some games. Only in sports are customers expected to spend money when the product is poor. The facilities on campus are not on par with the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world but they exceed a majority of the ACC teams that consistently beat us. There was a time when the Miami fan was completely delusional with expectations but I think most have become more reasonable. Is winning 9 or 10 games regularly in a weak conference really un realistic? Is beating Virginia, Georgia Tech and Duke unfathomable?

I made it abundantly clear that I agree with the messenger (fellow Canes fans/alumni that have major issues with the state of athletics) but disagree when the valid complaints get diluted and involve throwing EVERYTHING against the wall and using dumb dated or irrelevant talking points that you're more likely to hear from inbred UiF fans than anyone really focused on our actual issues.

Whining about the stadium? Really? Were we whining about it when Herbie was slobbering over the atmosphere for the Notre Dame game? The stadium is at worst a non-issue.

"Academic support" too? Really? You EVER hear our kids complaining about the academic rigors being too restrictive at UM? You ever hear any of our coaches EVER complain about it even off the record? You ever hear us recently missing out on recruits we really want due to academics?

Focus on the REAL issue and not all the other noise that other programs WISH were real factors with us.

We have a totally inept AD. We have people around him that have also shown to be equally inept when hiring a head coach (sans Richt falling into our lap). We have a school that hasn't yet made the next step in willingness to pay very upper echelon money to get a head coach.

Everything else is propaganda or minutiae.

I guarantee I miss the OB as much as anyone. Get over it.

I agree that we have a potato an AD. I agree that our coaching hires have been **** for almost 20 years.

Agree to disagree on the stadium and academic support…I don’t see it your way but I get where you’re coming from.

Even if you’re right, though, bad press is still beneficial. The BOT is a problem because they’re apathetic, not because they’re stupid. There are some bright people on that board who, if they could be enticed to give a ****, could simply decide to fix this **** with the football program and it would be so.

For some reason, the BOT aren’t internally motivated to win - strange because most high achievers are - instead they only act on external pressure.

So that being the case, all pressure is good pressure. Whine away about the stadium…if it’s in the national press, it helps. ****…complain about the coffee in the coaches offices if you want. All negative press at this point is good…if it motivates our uninspired BOT to give a **** and do something.

Because they have to understand…WIN, and all this negative press is replaced with positive, enrollment goes up, and the coffers fill up.

Advertisement
I've heard our total staff budget is $10 million from HC all the way down to the support staff. Had Manny hired a DC they would have approved another $1 million give or take to make that hire. He opted not to.

Alabama's assistants and support staff budget is north of $10 million plus whatever Saban makes these days.

But if you take manny out of the equation and hire a DC - that is an $8 million budget for assistants and support staff. Only $2 million shy of Alabama who pays significantly more than anyone else. We're in that stratosphere nationally. The gap is what we pay our HC - around $3 million.
So double our HC salary and keep everything else the same and we're in the upper tier of spending at around $14M/year. That's a 40% increase -- pretty hefty. Doubt we get to that mark, but $10M is a number to remember. Idgaf how much it takes to buyout Manny and the new HC, if we go over that $10M annual mark it'll show the administration is serious. If not, it just goes to show they're content to keep buying lottery tickets on these HCs and hoping they strike gold.

"The Stadium Is 45 Minutes Away!"

I flew from Madison, WI because I planned a month in advance to attend the 2017 Notre Dame game.

When the team is exciting, the fans show up. Period.

Advertisement
None of this is true anymore. Stadium is far away.. sure. Top 25 facilities, we have just as many guys on our strength staff as anyone else, a football only nutritionist, a brand new nutrition center (2020) and the training table got a face lift a few years before that. The financial commitment is there... everywhere except the salary of the HC.

I've seen lots of facilities. We're not far behind. Our IPF is one of the 5 nicest I've seen, the weightroom is brand new, locker room is about to be renovated again.
Exactly but that doesn’t fit the rhetoric

These idiots don't have an original thought. You think they are drawing 90K at Florida Field or 96K at LSU if their fans had to endure the **** product we've seen the last 15 years?
10603664.jpg

ed4afffa-525f-44d5-9c9d-8a3179fc8e69-FSU_attendance_UL.jpg

I agree that we have a potato an AD. I agree that our coaching hires have been **** for almost 20 years.

Agree to disagree on the stadium and academic support…I don’t see it your way but I get where you’re coming from.

Even if you’re right, though, bad press is still beneficial. The BOT is a problem because they’re apathetic, not because they’re stupid. There are some bright people on that board who, if they could be enticed to give a ****, could simply decide to fix this **** with the football program and it would be so.

For some reason, the BOT aren’t internally motivated to win - strange because most high achievers are - instead they only act on external pressure.

So that being the case, all pressure is good pressure. Whine away about the stadium…if it’s in the national press, it helps. ****…complain about the coffee in the coaches offices if you want. All negative press at this point is good…if it motivates our uninspired BOT to give a **** and do something.

Because they have to understand…WIN, and all this negative press is replaced with positive, enrollment goes up, and the coffers fill up.
Agreed. Look at what just a small segment by an Ohio State dude on eSECpn triggered. I'm ALL for more national media attention and ridicule as that's one of the very FEW things that seems to get the powers that be in the Gables to actually take any sort of notice.

Like you said, agree to disagree on some of the ancillary complaints. I just think giving oxygen to certain narratives sometimes is detrimental to bigger causes but I digress and this all can be debated post the firings of Manny and Blake- sans that and EVERYTHING becomes irrelevant.

Advertisement
I didn’t have Melreese in mind, I was more thinking about the earlier proposals to put it next to the American Airlines arena.

That might not be probable, but, in my view, it would be optimal.
Traffic would be an absolute nightmare. If you think attendance is bad now, just put the stadium downtown and lose everybody from the suburbs as well as Broward and Palm Beach.

Miami will never be like one of the big northern cities where people walk and they have usable public transportation.

There's a reason people keep saying the stadium isn't an issue. It's because they know the area and have been to games. An on campus stadium or one even slightly closer to campus would actually draw fewer fans. Do you really think all those Golden Canes are going to write big checks to go and sit in bleachers after they've had luxury suites?

Show me an on campus stadium with stadium seats, plenty of room for tailgating and dining options like this.

Don't forget the $12 beers. LOL

1.). Not my problem. I’m a fan, not a construction worker. Just get it done, I don’t care how.

2.) Typical UM response, to blame someone else. Always willing to spend other people’s money, and never their own. Wasn’t Donna Shalala some kind of political whiz? She couldn’t use that to negotiate a deal? Again, it’s not my problem. The stadium crumbled on her watch. We ended up on a rent-a-field on her watch. That’s her failure, point blank.

3.) I have been to Hard Rock. It’s a nice stadium in a **** location that works for the Dolphins but not for a small private school like us.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

We could force every single Miami student to attend the game and it wouldn't fill half the stadium. I swear people really don't understand that we're a small school. Nor do they understand who buys tickets and attends and why the NFL stadium with all its amenities suits us better than other colleges.
We would have worse attendance with an on campus stadium imo.

Advertisement
Back