Hardest CFB jobs (from The Athletic)

I've heard our total staff budget is $10 million from HC all the way down to the support staff. Had Manny hired a DC they would have approved another $1 million give or take to make that hire. He opted not to.

Alabama's assistants and support staff budget is north of $10 million plus whatever Saban makes these days.

But if you take manny out of the equation and hire a DC - that is an $8 million budget for assistants and support staff. Only $2 million shy of Alabama who pays significantly more than anyone else. We're in that stratosphere nationally. The gap is what we pay our HC - around $3 million.

Saban makes $11 million

Advertisement
There's been a clear cut #1 and #2 about every year in the CFP (not necessarily always seeded 1 & 2). 3 & 4 are always a shot in the dark and up for grabs and usually come from Big10 or Big12 where they walked their way through the season. Clemson was no doubt the 2nd best team in the country last year but OSU had Fields and just out played them in that semi final game.

Can't be that hard to get on a ND level where they're walking into the playoff. Washington did it, Oregon did it, Michigan State did it. Sure none of them have pulled it off yet but tides are turning and the dominance is dissipating a bit. Like you said.. comes down to elite QB play to put you over the top.

id say OSU is pretty consistently in the playoffs since the inception. there's always a random fourth in there (MSU, ND twice I think, OU multiple times, UGA multiple times).

Is clemson elite? UGA? Just trying to ascertain what your bar for elite is. You think bama will be the same elite they are now once Saban leaves?

I think Clemson is an elite program. I don't think UGA is in the Bama/Clemson category (tho clem is down this year but they're the only multiple time title winners outside of Bama in the past 6 years). UGA recruits at an elite level though where I don't think well ever get to (we won't operate on their budget).

alos, i thnk at this point Bama is a machine. Maybe they have a downturn when Nick retires, but will they really? my guess is they throw money at the next ELITE coach to take over the program

Advertisement
I've heard our total staff budget is $10 million from HC all the way down to the support staff. Had Manny hired a DC they would have approved another $1 million give or take to make that hire. He opted not to.

Alabama's assistants and support staff budget is north of $10 million plus whatever Saban makes these days.

But if you take manny out of the equation and hire a DC - that is an $8 million budget for assistants and support staff. Only $2 million shy of Alabama who pays significantly more than anyone else. We're in that stratosphere nationally. The gap is what we pay our HC - around $3 million.

that's a big gap tho (Manny doesn't deserve Saban money or anywhere close obviously) but the HC money is the point where we gotta start ponying up if you want a proven guy

Hard Rock isn’t a bad stadium. I’m a Dolphins fan and I love it as an NFL stadium. It’s just a bad stadium for a college football team with a small enrollment. And it doesn’t belong to us, it belongs to the Dolphins…and that does matter.

If having luxury suites is a priority, then build a stadium with luxury suites.

As for location, nobody will care if it’s an on-campus stadium, as long as it’s ours. I lived in Chicago for a while, and I’m partial to city locations like Wrigley and Soldier Field, where you can walk to restaurants and bars from the stadium and it’s a whole atmosphere. Suburban stadiums are just worse…in my view. I think a Brickell location, like the Beckham team was trying to do, would be dope as **** in Miami.
People think of the Orange Bowl as ours, but it never was. It was the city's and we used it. As I said, the idea of stadiums built for just one team as all theirs was pretty rare back when it was built.

HRS is directly off the turnpike and I95. What you're suggesting is for anyone south of the school to drive through downtown Miami to get to a stadium. It will not happen. Let's say for a second that some donor ponies up a billion dollars just for a Canes only stadium and somehow they manage to put it down by Melreese where Beckham has supposedly settled, last I heard. You've added at least a half hour for anyone coming from Broward or Palm Beach. There is less space so parking would require a garage and tailgating would be limited more than it is now. A Thursday night game would be an impossibility. Nobody is going to voluntarily drive through rush hour traffic to see the ****** product we put out.

Do you know what's near Melreese? Nothing but the airport. Your vision of a downtown stadium like you find in Chicago will never happen. People just don't walk around Miami like that. It's hot as **** most of the year and everything is spread out. HRS is the best solution for maximizing attendance.

Actually bama‘s coordinators have generally not been among the highest (Top 5) O’Brien is at 1.1mm. Golding is at 1.5mm but they are not in top 3. Aranda was making over 2mm at LSU, venables is at 2.5mm at Clem and mike Elko is at 2.1mm at tamu.. Saban gets away with paying lower salaries because everyone wants to put that in their resume. The guys at Florida, Arkansas and Georgia all make more than Golding. Last year Golding was number 15.. sark was the top OC but that was sark.. bama has been able to get away with paying lower salaries because of the Saban mystique

Actually bama‘s coordinators have generally not been among the highest (Top 5) O’Brien is at 1.1mm. Golding is at 1.5mm but they are not in top 3. Aranda was making over 2mm at LSU, venables is at 2.5mm at Clem and mike Elko is at 2.1mm at tamu.. Saban gets away with paying lower salaries because everyone wants to put that in their resume. The guys at Florida, Arkansas and Georgia all make more than Golding. Last year Golding was number 15.. sark was the top OC but that was sark.. bama has been able to get away with paying lower salaries because of the Saban mystique
Their assistants that aren't coordinators make double and triple what they do at Miami. Coordinators are at pretty average salaries over the years, you're right.

Advertisement
I think Clemson is an elite program. I don't think UGA is in the Bama/Clemson category (tho clem is down this year but they're the only multiple time title winners outside of Bama in the past 6 years). UGA recruits at an elite level though where I don't think well ever get to (we won't operate on their budget).

alos, i thnk at this point Bama is a machine. Maybe they have a downturn when Nick retires, but will they really? my guess is they throw money at the next ELITE coach to take over the program

Will you think Clemson is elite after 2-3 consecutive 2-3 loss seasons?

But, I'll grant you Clemson, fine. Clemson, Baga. That's it? Where do you put OSU/UGA? Notch below elite?

People think of the Orange Bowl as ours, but it never was. It was the city's and we used it. As I said, the idea of stadiums built for just one team as all theirs was pretty rare back when it was built.

HRS is directly off the turnpike and I95. What you're suggesting is for anyone south of the school to drive through downtown Miami to get to a stadium. It will not happen. Let's say for a second that some donor ponies up a billion dollars just for a Canes only stadium and somehow they manage to put it down by Melreese where Beckham has supposedly settled, last I heard. You've added at least a half hour for anyone coming from Broward or Palm Beach. There is less space so parking would require a garage and tailgating would be limited more than it is now. A Thursday night game would be an impossibility. Nobody is going to voluntarily drive through rush hour traffic to see the ****** product we put out.

Do you know what's near Melreese? Nothing but the airport. Your vision of a downtown stadium like you find in Chicago will never happen. People just don't walk around Miami like that. It's hot as **** most of the year and everything is spread out. HRS is the best solution for maximizing attendance.

and the bears are planning to move away from DT too for the issues with traffic being a concern

Will you think Clemson is elite after 2-3 consecutive 2-3 loss seasons?

But, I'll grant you Clemson, fine. Clemson, Baga. That's it? Where do you put OSU/UGA? Notch below elite?
UGA notch below. OSU id say they're elite or have been under Meyer and now day (tho I thought this year would be their worst year in a while).

No. Thebig distinction between today and years past is a coaching staff that gets bottom 20 results with top 20 recruiting classes. That’s it. Everything else handles itself when the product on the field is good.
Yeah obviously the coaching is terrible. I’m referring only to the facilities discussion. Many people say lifting weights in a dump = lifting in a nice gym. That’s true but the sports science on recovery and training optimization is much more advanced.

Advertisement
UGA notch below. OSU id say they're elite or have been under Meyer and now day (tho I thought this year would be their worst year in a while).

we will never old Miami. just hard to pill for anyone to swallow but it is what it is. accepted it long ago. ****, the people leaking **** to the papers are telling you that. ill wait and see if we actually have this money to spend on a proven coach

Mango Juice Mascot GIF by Kiri Mioki
Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN
Night Of The Living Dead Horror GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
Miami is the easiest job. Iowa is ranked #2 in the nation with a bunch of unathletic farm boys. We have no excuse.

Lol. Well I think by not investing in football, Miami is ****ing away a new generation of fans. Those of us who remember Miami as it was are getting older, and I doubt many kids are hyped up about Miami.

Imagine if you grew up during the Al Golden era. Probably wouldn’t be a fan today
The al Golden era? Shannon bro and on

Sticking your head in the sand re the stadium and lack of fans at games will not change the facts. Ever gone to a game with a recruit at Florida or Alabama, or Georgia? It is an awesome experience for the recruit. I can only imagine how a recruit at a Miami game thinks about the game day experience. Miami's game day experience for almost all of the games is an embareassment.

Coach Mark Richt while at Georgia talked about it not realizing that he would find himself in Miami years later. Is the stadium and lack of fans at games the only problema? Of course not. But it's a big problem.
Different strokes for different folks.

After watching a game at UF the recruits get to go to a keg party at a fraternity.

After watching a Miami game in a professional stadium they go back to a Ritz Carlton in the Grove, out to dinner at Prime 112, and then taken to Club Liv.

If you're into jorts and big crowds then by all means keep pumping UFag

Advertisement
Back