Gus Felder new S&C coach

Looks like Miami will be going back to the HIT school like it was in 1995-1998. Moffit was HATCH school for one year then Swasey with no school. The small coach in the video is still in the profession as the head S&C coach with Cincy (NFL). Michigan has a HIT guy that was with Miami from 1995-1998 and Stanford. Not a bad hire especially with Thomas.

Advertisement
Felder, who was actually involved in boxing before playing football, will continue and further develop the team's mixed martial arts program in additional to strength and conditioning duties.

Is that a typical component of training at schools? Seems cool, but wouldn't MMA be an injury risk?

image.jpg

No sunshine.

Advertisement
Fellow fans,

We now have a baseline to compare/contrast to now. Was UGAs S&C program better than what UM had under Swasey?

Im not qualified to answer, but lets not shout "this sucks because Ivey isnt here" too loudly...just yet.

Anyone with competent opinion on the compare/contrast above?

Why so?

Advertisement
Our last S&C coach wasn't even qualified to enter his own weightroom. Based on that, I'm not going to complain about these guys.

Advertisement
I got no problems with the hire, except for the Penn State connection. My god I hate that school.

Well, I gotta stop reading these boards. I was real pumped for Pat Ivey, Corey Raymond, etc. I have no idea how our hires will work out, but can't lie, bit of a letdown.

Uga players have been fine under these guys so i'm sure they can do the job.

Advertisement
Absolutely wanted Ivey.

That said, Ill take this guy any day.

Everyone on UGA's defense looks like a ******* freak of nature.

This may be a dumb question but we're hiring a team of S&C coaches like should be. But who worked with Swasey? He was the only name I'd ever hear with our guys.

From Penn state, mmm.......
ATHENS — Most of the men who ran Georgia’s strength and conditioning program last year are following Mark Richt to Miami.

Gus Felder, John Thomas and Kelin Johnson are set to join Richt’s strength and conditioning staff at Miami, according to multiple people familiar with the situation.

One person said Felder is likely to head up Richt’s S&C program, but that could not be immediately confirmed.

Felder is a former Penn State player who has been on Georgia’s staff since 2014. He ran the S&C programs at two smaller schools, Clark Atlanta and Cheyney, prior to coming to Georgia.

Thomas was Georgia’s associate strength and conditioning coach since 2012, essentially the No. 2 man on the staff, after serving as Joe Paterno’s head S&C coordinator for two decades.

Johnson is a former defensive back for Richt at Georgia. He re-joined the program as a graduate assistant a few years ago, then joined the strength program last year.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/more-georgia-staffers-headed-to-miami

Advertisement
Back