Guidry's Recruiting impact

Advertisement
Marcus Downs DT from SC offered today. No 247 ratings. Was previously offered by Guidry at both Marshall & Tulane. HOWEVER, several of the big $EC boys have offered too (UGA, Auburn, Arkansas). I think this permanently puts to rest the argument that if Marshall or Tulane offered, we shouldn't be offering. I don't think UGA cares if Marshall/Tulane previously offered, that's not how they do DT evals.

Marcus Downs DT from SC offered today. No 247 ratings. Was previously offered by Guidry at both Marshall & Tulane. HOWEVER, several of the big $EC boys have offered too (UGA, Auburn, Arkansas). I think this permanently puts to rest the argument that if Marshall or Tulane offered, we shouldn't be offering. I don't think UGA cares if Marshall/Tulane previously offered, that's not how they do DT evals.

My son will be playing on the same team with Marcus next season as a 9th grader. I watched him in person about five times last season knowing nothing about him. He stood out on a defense which struggled at times. He's going to be a BEAST in the fall on what should be an improved defense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looks like Mario & Nicholson have a lot of work to do to turn this one around.

T.J. Capers​

Miami Columbus, 2024 five-star defensive end (Louisville commit)
“Best of luck to them. Go Cards.”

T.J. Capers​

Behind paywall, cliff notes?

OTOH, @Geo305 says this about TJs recruitment

Capers recently committed to the University of Louisville; but despite this early commitment, I do not expect Capers to stick with Louisville. I don’t see Cristobal losing a blue-chip player of this caliber from his high school when Miami is actively recruiting him.

Advertisement

T.J. Capers​

If he really said good luck to us in that tone then **** that Louisville bag was no joke

Last edited:
Idgaf we should’ve hired strong as dc
Really seemed like Charlie wasn't totally dialed in to the full range of responsibilities. Wanted the head job but not the recruiting and development tasks that went with it. "Be the head man ... let others do the work". Believe Mario made a wise move.

Advertisement

T.J. Capers​

I still don't understand how this kid is going to loserville. Must be getting a MASSIVE bag. Hopefully we kick their *** this year...

I still don't understand how this kid is going to loserville. Must be getting a MASSIVE bag. Hopefully we kick their *** this year...
Let’s not worry too much just yet. Louisville was in this same position last year with the 5 star RB from Texas that stayed committed to them all the way until late Dec. He flipped and signed in State with Texas A&M. Similar thing could happen with Capers and us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Zo is a big believer in Guidry's evals, so watching his offers will be interesting.

The stuff about Dawson being first, decisive and impactful with Mac Jones and Stetson Bennett is pretty interesting. He had them both identified early when few else (or basically nobody else with Bennett) did.

Last edited:

T.J. Capers​

“Respect my decision” is next

Of course, coaching/development/schemes matter big time, but lets see who has the most players taken in the 2023 draft. Tulane, Marshall or us? Just one indicator, I know but ... our 'talent' has been overrated for years.

BTW, didn't Marshall beat ND in South Bend this past season? Or, am I misremembering?
Naw bro the talent has been there. It's the coaching.

Advertisement
Back