Guidry's Recruiting impact

Naw bro the talent has been there. It's the coaching.
Our talent has been way over rated and the coaching hasn't been great as well. What makes that statement true is our guys ain't going to the league and making multiple pro bowls. That's the evidence required to know. They get NFL coaching and most are maxed out at UM they were who they were.

Advertisement
Advertisement
not knocking any of his offers. Prolly offered under the radar players at those other places (Tulane/Marshall) from a position of weakness.

Now at Miami, he might be recruiting from a position of strength, especially if he’s passionate about his evals.

I’m willing to bet on his evals.

Marshall caliber players went to Notre Dame and beat them. It's about recruiting guys to fit your scheme, developing them, and implementing a game plan that is successful. Our defense last year could not have accomplished what theirs did against ND despite our "Miami" caliber guys.
If you mean could they have achieved it last year than the answer is no. But you give those same kids a year to learn a COMPLETELY new system than in year two that defense would beat the **** outta them. People don't seem to comprehend the differences when you go from a Mandy coached team and his scheme to a Steele coached team and his scheme. Anyone who thinks Steele was our problem on defense last season should simply jump NOW. We played previously under two states who were night and day. Both previous coaches recruited players that were system fits to a very specific system. It's not just a light switch you turn on and off and your good to go. Neither our offense or our defense succeeded last year. But the reasons why we saw those results were very different from one side of the ball to the other. One lacked talent and was decimated by injuries and the other was pure system fits and a horrible lb unit. I would've been perfectly happy if Steele was back.

Advertisement
If you mean could they have achieved it last year than the answer is no. But you give those same kids a year to learn a COMPLETELY new system than in year two that defense would beat the **** outta them. People don't seem to comprehend the differences when you go from a Mandy coached team and his scheme to a Steele coached team and his scheme. Anyone who thinks Steele was our problem on defense last season should simply jump NOW. We played previously under two states who were night and day. Both previous coaches recruited players that were system fits to a very specific system. It's not just a light switch you turn on and off and your good to go. Neither our offense or our defense succeeded last year. But the reasons why we saw those results were very different from one side of the ball to the other. One lacked talent and was decimated by injuries and the other was pure system fits and a horrible lb unit. I would've been perfectly happy if Steele was back.

I am more ambivalent towards him. He obviously has a solid track record and is competent but I heard some players stating he was not always engaged with them. From a player developmental standpoint he may not have been a good fit here at this time. I think he will fit better at Bama where he can just implement scheme and not have to do a lot of hands on teaching and developing of players.

sorry, wrong coordinator thread. Post is now here

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back