Gorlden to the Cowboys

Advertisement
Very smart move by the Cowboys. You always want to Buy Low. Anybody who was well respected enough to be considered for a high level college head coaching position and earn the nod is logically a more talented coach and person than typical from the assistant coaching pool.

Naturally the Bar Stool loud conventional wisdom crowd will hold hands and mock Golden regardless of where he ended up. I predicted this on Dolphins sites a couple of weeks ago when similar ridicule greeted the news that Joe Philbin was named offensive line coach of the Colts.

Golden could easily withstand a coaching change, if Garrett is terminated soon. He's going to impress Jerry Jones and anyone who deals with him day to day. Failing to land defensive tackles is not going to be an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden has a long career in the NFL, which may suit his strengths more than college coaching. I've certainly seen more unlikely success stories as NFL defensive assistant. For example, Mark Duffner was a run n shoot head coach of Maryland in the early '90s. He was initially praised for the attacking offensive schemes. Then it all fell apart in a wave of finesse and defeats. I loved it because I despise that type of football and bet against those teams. Duffner was fired. I never would have guessed he'd turn into a long time NFL defensive assistant, recently specializing in linebackers. He's had several jobs and never has to wait long to find another one when the coaching staff is let go. He was with the Dolphins in recent years until Gase took over. He was quickly hired by Koetter in Tampa Bay.

Very smart move by the Cowboys. You always want to Buy Low. Anybody who was well respected enough to be considered for a high level college head coaching position and earn the nod is logically a more talented coach and person than typical from the assistant coaching pool.

Naturally the Bar Stool loud conventional wisdom crowd will hold hands and mock Golden regardless of where he ended up. I predicted this on Dolphins sites a couple of weeks ago when similar ridicule greeted the news that Joe Philbin was named offensive line coach of the Colts.

Golden could easily withstand a coaching change, if Garrett is terminated soon. He's going to impress Jerry Jones and anyone who deals with him day to day. Failing to land defensive tackles is not going to be an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden has a long career in the NFL, which may suit his strengths more than college coaching. I've certainly seen more unlikely success stories as NFL defensive assistant. For example, Mark Duffner was a run n shoot head coach of Maryland in the early '90s. He was initially praised for the attacking offensive schemes. Then it all fell apart in a wave of finesse and defeats. I loved it because I despise that type of football and bet against those teams. Duffner was fired. I never would have guessed he'd turn into a long time NFL defensive assistant, recently specializing in linebackers. He's had several jobs and never has to wait long to find another one when the coaching staff is let go. He was with the Dolphins in recent years until Gase took over. He was quickly hired by Koetter in Tampa Bay.

I AM REALLY SMART. I SAID I WAS AS I TOOK MY ARTHRITIS MEDICATION AND WATCHED MATLOCK. I EMPLOY A LOGICAL FALLACY CALLED HISTORIAN'S FALLACY BY ANNOUCNING TO EVERYONE I WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING AFTER THE EVENT HAS TAKEN PLACE AND I MADE NO PUBLIC PREDICTION ON IT BEFOREHAND. I SPEAK CONDESCENDINGLY AS I AM WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING I SAY AND TRY TO INSULATE MYSELF AS I AM JUSTIFIABLY SMASHED ON HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIqx4rKNxc

Advertisement
I'd like to have seen his face when Rutgers turned him down. This guy goes from thinking he had the Penn State job to not even being a finalist for the Rutgers spot.

Advertisement
Well if he gets the job do we get our $ back, or at least get to stop paying him?

No. We may get to reduce the amount we owe him by the amount the Cowboys pay him, but even that's not certain (depends on the exact terms of the buyout). But we definitely are not off the hook.

More than likely, Golden gets all his UM money and Cowboy money, if he gets the job. If he took another college HC gig, then UM might have been spared the expense.

Advertisement
The Golden hire was the last of the comedy of errors that UM offered to their lovely alumni and fans. Dee extending Coker was #1 . Then firing Coker while owing him a decent amount of money was # 2 . This pigeon holed UM to go cheap on hiring Shannon which was # 3. By then the UM was so far from what we were that we decided to hire a promising up an comer whose best record was 9-4 and had a below .500 coaching record. to say we overpaid him and then extended him based on loyalty alone and with zero performance was # 4. Yet despite being unproven, the hope was he could do great things at UM.
There is a great German expression that says "When you go cheap, you end up paying double." We have paid much more than double. I am hopeful that Richt can return us to greatness, we shall see. However, UM perhaps has learned from their errors and so far under the new president have shown that they are recommitted to making us relevant instead of continuing to make trips to the bargain basement of coaching hires.

The-Rock-Rolls-His-Eyes-and-Smiles.gif

This is similar to the Charlie Weis deal, who is collectively owed about $20 million from both ND and Kansas for the remaining term of his contracts.

Advertisement
If its as DB coach maybe Bush or Howard come to my boys. They'll be playing 60 yards off the wr's but hey, you can't have everything in life.

Who cares

I find it important to follow this kind of thing. It was me (and a few thousand others around here) who screamed about Larry Coker's contract extension when it becoming very clear that Coker was not the right man for the job. The critical piece of the Coker extension contract was a $2 million buyout. Myself and others were saying that Coker's market value did NOT command such a buyout clause, yet donna put it in there because she thought Larry was a good Public Relations steward of the program.

The same goes for al golden. Shalala gave him ten year contract extension with a massive buyout simply because she wanted a PR steward. It was myself and many others here who said that golden's market value did NOT command such a contract. His next job is what will ultimately prove us right. For that reason, I'm VERY INTERESTED in seeing where golden (and to a lesser extent Dorito) land.

Well if he gets the job do we get our $ back, or at least get to stop paying him?

No. We may get to reduce the amount we owe him by the amount the Cowboys pay him, but even that's not certain (depends on the exact terms of the buyout). But we definitely are not off the hook.

than he shouldn't be allowed to get another job until the contract ends

Advertisement
Back