Off-Topic Golf Clubs?

@JBCanes-NC once told me that he plays ladies clubs because his swing speeds are very low and he is a tiny little man. I took this video of him last time we played
golfing-deadstream.gif

Advertisement
Gents,
This is coming from a Class A PGA Professional. I read all the comments and not a mention of lessons? Get some lessons before any club fitting. The swing must be repeatable before an accurate club fitting can happen.

Advertisement
Any suggestions on Irons and Woods, have not played in years and looking to buy some new clubs. Thanks.
Use an old set, get back into the game. Getting fitted is a good way to go, but don't rush and waste your money until you find where you are at. Good luck!

Advertisement
I got fitted last month and it came down to the JPX921's or PING G425's. I was smoking the 921's but my spin numbers were super low, ended up going with the PING's without giving up too much distance. Really liked the JPX's though.
Which JPX921'S? Hot Metal? Forged? The lofts are so jacked down on one of those. They travel a massive distance.

I am looking at the forged, but they do not make them in lefty. I am probably not good enough for Tour irons. Strikes are too inconsistent still

Which JPX921'S? Hot Metal? Forged? The lofts are so jacked down on one of those. They travel a massive distance.

I am looking at the forged, but they do not make them in lefty. I am probably not good enough for Tour irons. Strikes are too inconsistent still
Lefty here also. I was hitting Hot Metals, 7-iron w/29° loft. The PING 7-iron has 30° loft. Just checked my Trackman report and I was averaging 187 carry/203 total with the JPX's, 171 carry/183 total with the PINGS.

I have until Thursday to return the PINGs and get 100% store credit to put toward the JPX's, and its very tempting.

Lefty here also. I was hitting Hot Metals, 7-iron w/29° loft. The PING 7-iron has 30° loft. Just checked my Trackman report and I was averaging 187 carry/203 total with the JPX's, 171 carry/183 total with the PINGS.

I have until Thursday to return the PINGs and get 100% store credit to put toward the JPX's, and its very tempting.
Wow, that is a big 7. I haven't hit the Hot Metals, but I have seen and heard that they are extremely "hot" off the face if you will.

I know Mizuno makes a lefty set called SEL. It is a blended set. The 4 and 5 iron are forged with 6-Gap Wedge in the "tour" .

I'm in the market for a new set. I think I am just going to test them all out.

Have you ever hit the Taylor Mades? P790? Or P770?

Funny thread to revisit. When this thread happened last year, hadn't really played seriously in 20 years. I picked up my old set this March ('21) and realized it may be time, now getting closer to my dreaded 40s, to get serious about golf again. For those still interested in new golf sets, I picked up the Sim2s (5-A) + 3H, 4H, and an older model Sim driver. Kept my old 61 degree lob wedge and got a new 54 degree. Couldn't be happier with the feel.

Have tried to get back into this as serious as I can with limited time. Anyone have any suggestions and tips on local (Miami) courses, ranges, deals, etc.?

Advertisement
Wow, that is a big 7. I haven't hit the Hot Metals, but I have seen and heard that they are extremely "hot" off the face if you will.

I know Mizuno makes a lefty set called SEL. It is a blended set. The 4 and 5 iron are forged with 6-Gap Wedge in the "tour" .

I'm in the market for a new set. I think I am just going to test them all out.

Have you ever hit the Taylor Mades? P790? Or P770?
I haven't, I'm a game-improvement iron player. Still working my way through the mid-80's after cutting way back on playing due to kids/career.

I hit the TM SIM2's and they just weren't for me. Not the clubs fault, I think subconsciously I wanted to end up in a set of PINGs or Mizunos maybe, but I couldn't hit them to save my life.

Best advice I can give for anyone who isn't a low-handicapper is to swallow your pride, get some lessons because they'll benefit even a mid-handicapper, and when you feel your swing is consistent enough go get fitted somewhere you can try everything. 2nd Swing is a small, family owned operation and they're currently only in Minnesota, Maryland, Delaware and Arizona, but there are plenty of other places that can provide a professional fitting with a large selection of clubs. My only qualm with many fittings offered by club pros at local courses is they tend to have a limited offering of brands/club selection, in my experience at least.

Go into your fitting open minded to try and eliminate any brand-bias. Research the fitters you'll be working with. The guy who fit me qualified and competed in the Sr. Open a couple of month ago and people raved about him in a local golf group on social media.

Oh, and spend just as much time on the practice green as you do the range. I'm the king of turning birdie putts into double-bogeys. I know I should probably practice what preach but I rarely have time to squeeze a full-round in let alone hit a bucket to warm up.

Anyway, GO CANES and hit em straight.

golf-****-golf.gif

Last edited:
Good point on lessons first. I’m guilty of that myself. I did a fitting a Club Champion and loved it because they have anything you could want. Only thing I would advise is breaking up the sessions. I did full bag fitting and that was more Irving than playing a round.

Good point on lessons first. I’m guilty of that myself. I did a fitting a Club Champion and loved it because they have anything you could want. Only thing I would advise is breaking up the sessions. I did full bag fitting and that was more Irving than playing a round.
Yeah, I've been playing for 25 years and finally took my first lesson about a year ago. While it helped tremendously, I've been fighting off 25 years of bad habits while trying to build muscle memory with my new swing mechanics. It's been an uphill battle but when I strike the ball pure it gives me a chub.

I've heard great things about Club Champion, the only negative being that it's a bit pricey, but you can't go wrong getting fitted through them.

Advertisement
Funny thread to revisit. When this thread happened last year, hadn't really played seriously in 20 years. I picked up my old set this March ('21) and realized it may be time, now getting closer to my dreaded 40s, to get serious about golf again. For those still interested in new golf sets, I picked up the Sim2s (5-A) + 3H, 4H, and an older model Sim driver. Kept my old 61 degree lob wedge and got a new 54 degree. Couldn't be happier with the feel.

Have tried to get back into this as serious as I can with limited time. Anyone have any suggestions and tips on local (Miami) courses, ranges, deals, etc.?
Get the patron card for Miami Dade courses. Cost $50 and you get one free round. A round at Crandon costs at least that, so pays for itself, and reduced fees after that. Crandon is best course in the county.

Melreece (by the airport) is a nice track,but pricy on weekends. Play twilight there. Emerald Hills in Broward is now in good shape and reasonable on weekdays.

Mikosoukee is nice enough, but gets a lot of play.

There's also a premier card that included the beach course and Melreece, but it's pricey and you have to play a lot to make it worth it.

Get the patron card for Miami Dade courses. Cost $50 and you get one free round. A round at Crandon costs at least that, so pays for itself, and reduced fees after that. Crandon is best course in the county.

Melreece (by the airport) is a nice track,but pricy on weekends. Play twilight there. Emerald Hills in Broward is now in good shape and reasonable on weekdays.

Mikosoukee is nice enough, but gets a lot of play.

There's also a premier card that included the beach course and Melreece, but it's pricey and you have to play a lot to make it worth it.
Awesome. Thank you. Was looking into the Premiere Card already. It's heavily geared toward Summer, but might pay for itself anyway. It's $200 and you play for free (+Cart Fee, but I'm guessing free if you walk). I like playing 9 after work, so would love to take advantage of that till November.

For others: https://memberships.golfnow.com/premier-card/

I have some buddies who are members at Biltmore, so I've played there about once a week the last month or so. My game is shaky right now, but making an effort to get into single digit handicap level. Didn't touch a course the first couple months I got back into it. Just some things you can't work out on the range, so looking for 9 holes here and there to experiment.

Awesome. Thank you. Was looking into the Premiere Card already. It's heavily geared toward Summer, but might pay for itself anyway. It's $200 and you play for free (+Cart Fee, but I'm guessing free if you walk). I like playing 9 after work, so would love to take advantage of that till November.

I have some buddies who are members at Biltmore, so I've played there about once a week the last month or so. My game is shaky right now, but making an effort to get into single digit handicap level. Didn't touch a course the first couple months I got back into it. Just some things you can't work out on the range, so looking for 9 holes here and there to experiment.
Hit up Briar Bay, nice 9 hole track. Great to work on your irons and short game. Really don’t need to pull out the driver there. I usually play there once-twice a week for cheap (can walk it for $11), and then hit up the nice 18 hole courses on the weekend.

A lot of people walk the 9 hole course (Grenada) in north gables. It's cheap after 5.

Advertisement
Back