Off-Topic Golf Clubs?

I'm torn right now between buying a new set of Ping G425 Irons or a set of Callaway Rogue ST max Irons. I can find both reasonably cheap but I can't make a choice.

Advertisement
I'm torn right now between buying a new set of Ping G425 Irons or a set of Callaway Rogue ST max Irons. I can find both reasonably cheap but I can't make a choice.
I bought the Pings from Second Swing golf after a custom fitting. Used them for a few weeks and didn't love them on the course. I was able to return them within 30 days and get full-store credit towards new Mizuno JPX921's. I didn't hit the Rogues, I think the Maverik's were the Callaway irons they were pushing back then.

If at all possible see if you can hit an indoor or outdoor range with a Trackman and swing both clubs. The data really helped me. Initially I went with the G425's bc I was getting them up in the air (96ft vs 90ft) and preferred the idea of them holding the greens better than the JPX's. I figured the accuracy would improve as I continued to practice and play so I wasn't as worried about the dispersion pattern from that fitting. After having them for three weeks, maybe 5 rounds and a few trips to the range I wasn't in love with them so I decided to take advantage of the trade-in policy and get a new set of JPX's. I really liked the G425's, and if you're a half-decent player you'll probably do well with them or the Rougue's, but seeing all the data was helpful even if I did end up second guessing my decision.

1681413207841.png

I bought the Pings from Second Swing golf after a custom fitting. Used them for a few weeks and didn't love them on the course. I was able to return them within 30 days and get full-store credit towards new Mizuno JPX921's. I didn't hit the Rogues, I think the Maverik's were the Callaway irons they were pushing back then.

If at all possible see if you can hit an indoor or outdoor range with a Trackman and swing both clubs. The data really helped me. Initially I went with the G425's bc I was getting them up in the air (96ft vs 90ft) and preferred the idea of them holding the greens better than the JPX's. I figured the accuracy would improve as I continued to practice and play so I wasn't as worried about the dispersion pattern from that fitting. After having them for three weeks, maybe 5 rounds and a few trips to the range I wasn't in love with them so I decided to take advantage of the trade-in policy and get a new set of JPX's. I really liked the G425's, and if you're a half-decent player you'll probably do well with them or the Rougue's, but seeing all the data was helpful even if I did end up second guessing my decision.

View attachment 235317
I'll have to get down to the Golfer's Warehouse in town and hit some balls with the Callaways and Mizunos. I tried a buddies Pings and they felt great at the range. I'm not great golfer by any means (typically up around 103-108) but I've only been playing really for 2 years sparingly. I wanted the Pings because I hear they are super forgiving, not sure if the same can be said about the Callways or Mizunos so I'll have to give them a whirl.

Did you buy the new set of Pings on 2nd Swing or did you buy used? The new set on 2nd Swing is the one I was looking at.

I'll have to get down to the Golfer's Warehouse in town and hit some balls with the Callaways and Mizunos. I tried a buddies Pings and they felt great at the range. I'm not great golfer by any means (typically up around 103-108) but I've only been playing really for 2 years sparingly. I wanted the Pings because I hear they are super forgiving, not sure if the same can be said about the Callways or Mizunos so I'll have to give them a whirl.

Did you buy the new set of Pings on 2nd Swing or did you buy used? The new set on 2nd Swing is the one I was looking at.
I bought new. Pretty sure you had to buy new and then the cost of the fitting went towards the clubs and you were eligible for the 30-day return.

I can't blame the Pings, I finally took lessons two years ago and the guy totally reinvented my swing, so when I got fitted I would hit one clean AF, then duff one, then a snap hook etc...I was still working on breaking old habits (probably not the best time to get fitted). But the grouping with the JPX's was much tighter than anything else I swung.

Btw, not trying to sell you on the JPX's at all, just wanted to show you how the data can help in making that decision. I'm a high-handicapper, usually able to break 100 and occasionally I'll flirt with breaking 90 (shot a 42 on the back 9 yesterday, front 9 was a different story lol).

Lessons were probably a better investment than new clubs, but my old set was 15 years old and pretty beat up so I decided to treat myself to a new set.

Good luck w/the decision!

I bought new. Pretty sure you had to buy new and then the cost of the fitting went towards the clubs and you were eligible for the 30-day return.

I can't blame the Pings, I finally took lessons two years ago and the guy totally reinvented my swing, so when I got fitted I would hit one clean AF, then duff one, then a snap hook etc...I was still working on breaking old habits (probably not the best time to get fitted). But the grouping with the JPX's was much tighter than anything else I swung.

Btw, not trying to sell you on the JPX's at all, just wanted to show you how the data can help in making that decision. I'm a high-handicapper, usually able to break 100 and occasionally I'll flirt with breaking 90 (shot a 42 on the back 9 yesterday, front 9 was a different story lol).

Lessons were probably a better investment than new clubs, but my old set was 15 years old and pretty beat up so I decided to treat myself to a new set.

Good luck w/the decision!
Might just have to invest in a few lessons. I struggle getting good contact consistently. Probably best to wait until I can get a bit more consistency in my swing. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mizuno's recently just never knew much about them and never hit them before.

Advertisement
Might just have to invest in a few lessons. I struggle getting good contact consistently. Probably best to wait until I can get a bit more consistency in my swing. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mizuno's recently just never knew much about them and never hit them before.
Consistency is the key to enjoying the game. I CAN hit every club in my bag well. ****, I can even shape my shots on occasion. I just can't do it consistently and it's maddening.

But when you do string together 3 or 4 solid shots and make par or birdie, it's rewarding AF.

I got myself a new sim2 driver and irons. I plan on replacing the rest of the bag over the next year or two.

Unfortunately, with 4 month old twins, I probably won’t be golfing much this year.

Advertisement
MY current setup: New woods and possible move to hybrid coming soon

Ping G425 LST 9 Ventus Velocore 7-s
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Graphite Design Tour AD Di6-s
Cobra Radspeed tour 17.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 2007 proto
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2
Mizuno T7 52 Satin Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
National Custom Works 56 Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
National Custom Works 60 Project X LZ 5.5 Blackout +1/2
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp

MY current setup: New woods and possible move to hybrid coming soon

Ping G425 LST 9 Ventus Velocore 7-s