Off-Topic Golf Clubs?

native

Redshirt Freshman
Any suggestions on Irons and Woods, have not played in years and looking to buy some new clubs. Thanks.

Advertisement
g410_driver_300x400.jpg

Don't buy anything except a cheap driver and a mid-tron. Go to a driving range about a dozen times and see how well you can hit the ball. If it's been a long time, and you're a bit older now, your body has changed. You need to reestablish the form that's necessary to hit a golf ball. Then, when you're certain you're ready find a good pro shop and let them assist you in finding the right clubs for your age, body type and swing.

Advertisement
****’s has finally started selling used clubs. I would check there, they will be able to put you on the swing machine as well. Get your club speed and so on to fit you with the proper shaft

Budget is the determining factor here.

Guessing your going for some game-improvements to start. I would honestly go to Callaway or pga for used clubs. You can get some nice sets for reasonably priced.

Do not by the newest bestest anything, especially drivers. If you must have new, get new ones that are three years old. You can get a new set of Wilson 200s for under $250, and used Mizuno Jpx ez irons for under $200.

Advertisement
If you haven't played in years get super game improvement irons (something like Titleist T400s, TaylorMade M CGBs or Sim Max OS, or Callaway Maverik Max) preferably with graphite shafts if swing speex <90 mph w driver. Get a relatively high spin forgiving 460 cc driver like the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme or M6/Sim Max and same deal for 3 wood/hybrid. The Clevaland CBX wedges would probably be a good choice.

Steal a putter from a mini golf course or something because no amateur can actually sink putts.

Advertisement
Get some used clubs. You are probably going to suck, no offense. Spending a **** load on new irons won’t do anything for your game. If you enjoy after 6 months or so, go get a new set.
These fitters will rip you off , planet is a good spot

Srixon Irons, Ping hybrid, Driver/3W could be Titleist, Taylor Made...but don't listen to me or anyone else - go get fitted! If in So Fl see the Martinez brothers at Planet Golf. They know how to fit!
Planet golf is always the move for new clubs! I got Callaway mavrik irons from Planet earlier this year after having Mizunos. A lot more forgiving.

Advertisement
Many years ago, after a few years of buying no name golf clubs, a friend gave me the best advice in buying golf clubs:

YOU LOVE THE GAME. BUY WHAT YOU LOVE. GET FITTED.

So, I bought a Titleist iron set, Titeleist woods, Titleist Driver, and an Odyssey putter. I had my irons custom fit as I found out that I am + 1/2.

I NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!

I have a set of Titleist SM7 Wedges, almost brand new that I can sell you (since you are a canes fan, great price). Beautiful wedges and hardley used. You will need wedges, let me know if you want pics. Thanks, GO CANES!

You may find that your abilities have changed depending on how long you've been away from the game. When I got back into the game, after many years, I just assumed that I would pick it up from whee I left off. I bought Callaway clubs and headed out to the course. After the first nine holes I realized that I HATED the Callaways. Then I started changing clubs piecemeal to improve my game. Now I play a Cobra Driver and Adams 3 wood a cheap 5 wood (which is my go to club), Callaway 7 and 11 woods, a Thomas 19 wood a pitching wedge, sand wedge and putter.

I found that being away so long I had lost my touch for fairway irons so I play none....just woods. The last time I played was early September last year and I shot in he high 80s. I'm over 70 years old. I haven't played in almost a year because last September I had full shoulder replacement surgery for a totally destroyed rotator cuff. I'm hoping to play in a few weeks (nine holes). My shoulder is fine but there's still some pain in my right deltoid when I try to follow through on my swing.

Advertisement
Back