Golden ruined a stud career

Golden:
Gyt5nfi.jpg

Advertisement
Can someone tell me how exactly you ruin a CB's career?

Usually the only way to make a CB look worse is if you're always playing man. Never heard of a CB being "ruining" in a scheme that runs Quarters, Cover-2, Cover-3 and Man.

The only way scheme can ruin a CB is if you don't get a pass rush. You can use scheme to make CB look better. i.e. use zone to protect less athletic DB's. Now as far as developing the kid, that's on the defensive coaches. Its really hard to tell without being at practice to see if he's been coached properly and consistently and how receptive he's been to coaching.

Random thoughts on the matter:

We played a lot less quarters this past season than any other season before. Tracy did a good job playing that boundary read flat in years past. Unfortunately, he's much better in certain coverages than others. He had a tough time playing right now deep zones. He had a tough time feeling receivers with is body and he would get lost A LOT. He seems to be a very visual player. He's a quick thinker and he's good at baiting routes that in front of him. Maybe he would do well as a nickel. I'm not sure hes physical enough for that. He's definitely quick enough. Maybe he should bulk up and play safety (maybe it's too late for that).

Another factor to consider along with the change in our base coverages (we still run everything like Macho has been saying, we just changed the frequency we run certain coverages). Considering that we're mainly a single high team now, a player like Artie Burns was able to make some major strides. It's almost like he instantly became our number one corner. He's close to being a prototypical deep zone player. He has Good height, and great length. If Artie continues on this climb, he'll be as good as advertised coming out of high school. I almost want to cancel out his freshman season. Seldom do we see true freshman excel like Hargreaves did--kid is a stud. He can do it all.

As for the coaches ruining Tracy's career, I can see how a coach can negatively affect a player like that, but I think you're giving the coaches too much credit. The circumstances would have to be especially unique for that to be the case. If they really did **** over Tracy like that, then I would have expected him to transfer. Something that I've learned from my time coaching is that great players tend to find a way to succeed. Of course, a coach can still hinder that.

Just like with any team, the coach's job is to put his players in a position to succeed. I know that we game planned week to week according to what our opponent did and according to what we did well as a team. I distinctly remember installing specific checks for when a certain defender of mine was in the game. Is that ideal? Absolutely not, but that's what we needed to do to win games. Every coach wants players that allow you to run your entire system, but nothing is ever prefect. We either have to recruit guys that fit into the system, or we need to tweak the system accordingly.

All that being said, I have no idea if the coaches ruined Tracy. I don't know enough. I'm not around the team enough. All I know for sure is what I see with my eyes, and what I saw was Tracy getting lost in deep coverage like all the time. Who's fault is that? I don't know for sure.

This one isn't on the staff. Howard just isn't that talented. He lacks length, strength and speed.

He's a decent college corner but not much more. I think Elder and Burns are both better, as was Antonio Crawford.

Advertisement

Usually the only way to make a CB look worse is if you're always playing man. Never heard of a CB being "ruining" in a scheme that runs Quarters, Cover-2, Cover-3 and Man.

Coming out of high school majority of these kids were use to playing a certain way, that's what Antonio Crawford was complaining about. Plain and simple these coaches lied to most of these kids about changing the defense and they didn't.

I think with Ice and Beard on board they can help turn this thing around.

Coming out of high school majority of these kids were use to playing a certain way, that's what Antonio Crawford was complaining about. Plain and simple these coaches lied to most of these kids about changing the defense and they didn't.

Crawford does not exemplify the whole team. we all want golden gone for the most part but this lying nonsense or kids complaining. the majority of the kids actually like and support golden. thanks why he doesnt have alot of transfers out.

Crawford does not exemplify the whole team. we all want golden gone for the most part but this lying nonsense or kids complaining. the majority of the kids actually like and support golden. thanks why he doesnt have alot of transfers out.

Paging Cassandra Mitchell.......

Advertisement
How many interceptions did he have in 8th grade? These statistics from back in the day do not translate to big time college ball where the playing field is level. You can really tell who the star whores are in this thread or people who invested in the Tracy Howard hype machine.

Nothing about his play or athleticism in college screams all-american or future 1st rounder. I don't care the coach or system. He's not even the 1st or 2nd best corner on our team. Right?

He's has great instincts, and I hope he has a breakout senior season, but no career has been ruined with this one.

Advertisement
Here's the thing about Tracy, when he came out, his coach said "He's probably the best PRESS COVER corner in the nation." Tracy preferred bump and run...you know who else prefers bump and run, my frat brother Richard Sherman. Richard was considered, slow, as well. If he was 5'11 instead of 6'3, he probably wouldn't have gotten drafted. Richard's technique was always on point, especially in the bump system.

Tracy's skill set is suited for an aggressive, press coverage scheme. So, yes, I do blame the staff on this one. You recruit a guy who's not a burner, and play him 10 yards off the LOS?? That's not Tracy's game. Let him lock in, bump receivers off their route, so his speed will be even with theirs.

IMO, we've done a **** poor job of developing any DB talent here. JRock, can't get it together, yet some deemed him as the next great safety coming out of high school. Burns, a track guy, playing 10 yards off?? Elder, Mr. Football in the state of Tennessee, told to play 10 yards off?? Bush, probably the best pure FREE safety in the game, not allowed to be a rover to make plays. We've failed our DBs here, and the irony is that we are the Original DB-U. I don't blame Tracy one bit, I blame the ones who recruited a press cover corner and put him in a soft zone scheme.

Golden has done a **** poor job of not only developing talent here, but not even utilizing the talent.

Golden has ruined a lot of careers for UM players.

With the number of players drafted Miami had drafted, a lot of players on other teams probably wish Golden "ruined" their careers as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back