God **** It: It Is Time To Re-Examine Mario Cristobal

Agree with you on Mario, but again, what reason would he have to come here, like seriously what kinda drugs would he have to be on to leave his great situation at Oregon to come to Miami?

And Mike Leach is trash, the most overrated Coach ever in Canes fans history. His disciples are 10x the coach he is.

I'll take Heupel over Leach all day.

He would have been better than anything we would have hired in the past 20 years.

We would have grown tired of him and he, too, would have had some laughable Ls that would infuriate us, but we would have broken passing records, had a huge tree of alumni in the NFL and throughout coaching circles, and overall, a worthwhile experiment that would put us in a better place today than we were yesterday. Probably would have a few conference championships, too.

You don't have to like him, but he would have done a few things here. He's been too successful and too historically significant for his influence to the modern game to dismiss him. We would have been ahead of the curve on the modern offense...instead, we still think pro style is whatever the fvck we've been doing.

Have we missed the boat? Probably. Has Mike Leach missed his shot at a major program? Probably. Would he have been a worthwhile experiment 12 years ago? You can't convince me he wouldn't have been.

Advertisement
I don't know what is rumor or fact, but supposedly a member of the BOT had talked to Cristobal immediately after Richt retired, Mario was very interested, the member told Carol Soffer, and she was willing to pay the 10 million buyout to Oregon for Mario. So everything was lined up for Cristobal. Then Blake James f#cked it all up and hired Diaz because they were friends (or had something to do with Mayor Diaz- I don't remember the exact reason why), even though he knew that the Cristobal deal was being worked.

Tannehill 1.0 looking pretty decent right about now, maybe the problem is the Dolphins?

I think it’s the coaching. Parker looked like a bust with two different coaches. Gisecki looks great right now. Dolphins have a coach making chicken salad out of chicken shiit. I’ll reserve judgment on Tannehill. He had an incredible ability to string together a few days and make you think he was turning the corner then go back to average.

He would have been better than anything we would have hired in the past 20 years.

We would have grown tired of him and he, too, would have had some laughable Ls that would infuriate us, but we would have broken passing records, had a huge tree of alumni in the NFL and throughout coaching circles, and overall, a worthwhile experiment that would put us in a better place today than we were yesterday. Probably would have a few conference championships, too.

You don't have to like him, but he would have done a few things here. He's been too successful and too historically significant for his influence to the modern game to dismiss him. We would have been ahead of the curve on the modern offense...instead, we still think pro style is whatever the fvck we've been doing.

Have we missed the boat? Probably. Has Mike Leach missed his shot at a major program? Probably. Would he have been a worthwhile experiment 12 years ago? You can't convince me he wouldn't have been.
He's a phenomenal offensive mind in terms of revolutionizing the passing game. As a Head Coach, he's severely overrated by Miami fans but not by the rest of College Football.

He's only had TWO 10+ win seasons in his entire career, one at Wast St & one at TTech, that's it after 18-19 years as a HC, never won a conference title & 7-7 in Bowl games.

Would he have been better than Shannon, Folden or Diaz, sure, but that's not a very difficult thing to do, we're talking about 3 absolute Corches, that's not a major accomplishment.

It's not about liking or disliking Leach, it's about people not seeming to understand why he's NEVER been hired to be a HC at a major program & why he will never be much more than Passing Offense guru, because being a great P5 championship contending HC is about more than just passing the ball 60 times a game, his refusal to run the ball & complete ignoring of building a Defense or putting any effort into recruiting is exactly why major programs never seriously considered him & have never wanted him.

His students like Lincoln Riley, Heupel & the many others all realized that his style of extremist Pass only Air Raid doesn't work & is not sustainable. That's why they've been significantly more successful in a much shorter time because they took the great passing concepts from the AR & combined it with the Spread rushing attack & got the best of both worlds.

All those great coaches that came under the Leach & not one of them run the Air Raid the same way he does, why do you think that is? Because those guys all know that his style doesn't work if you're trying to do more than win 8 games a year.

Just look at what happens every time they play Washington & Cal, that Pass only Air Raid gets exposed & they get shellacked, not to mention the games he's lost to multiple FCS schools.

What would've happened if he were here? We would lead the nation in passing attempts, beat the GTechs of the world & lost to any team with a viable Defense while finishing with 7/8 wins a year & he would've gave some quirky bizarre post game press conferences after getting his sh*t pushed in by a Pitt or UVA team we were suppose to beat.

We wouldn't have won the ACC with Leach, that's a fact. Again is he better than Shannon, Folden & Diaz? Sure no question, is he this elite HC that deserves to be mentioned every single year on here as if he's Urban Meyer or something, no he doesn't... Not even close.

Advertisement
I love Mike Leach, one of my favorite coaches and people in sports...But I don't want him or that system at Miami...Don't get me wrong...He's better than coaches we have and have had... but he's way too air raid. Total disregard for running the football.

So would I take him and cheer for him...Yes? But he has a ceiling imo, as does basically every one dimensional offense in cfb.

Last edited:
He's a phenomenal offensive mind in terms of revolutionizing the passing game. As a Head Coach, he's severely overrated by Miami fans but not by the rest of College Football.

He's only had TWO 10+ win seasons in his entire career, one at Wast St & one at TTech, that's it after 18-19 years as a HC, never won a conference title & 7-7 in Bowl games.

Just shortening this up for posterity...but, that's pretty impressive. Texas Tech and Washington State are the Tatooine of college football.

He's basically the greatest coach in Texas Tech history. He took them to their ceiling.

He's currently pushing Mike Price as the greatest coach in Washington State history. He's taken them to **** near their ceiling as well.

The critiques are valid, brother...I get it. Trust me, I do.

In an alternative universe where Donna Shalala listens to Donald Trump, I think Mike Leach's story turns out different and our story, too, turns out differently.

I used to be on the side of those against Leach...he doesn't run the ball, and you know I hate that ish, brother. But...I think we've made too many mistakes and turned down too many good coaches - Leach included. If I'm writing Mike Leach fan fiction...he ends up pretty good here at minimum.

I love Mike Leach, one of my favorite coaches...But I don't want him or that system at Miami...Don't get me wrong...He's better than coaches we have, but he's way too air raid. Total disregard for running the football.

I think he is smart enough to adapt him system to the players available. Last year not running the ball didn't keep him from winning 11 games. Some of the problem is it that it is a self fulfilling prophecy. Good example is TEs. Leach said he'd love to use TEs in his air Raid but he can't find ones that are good all around. He can get TEs who block but can't catch or get ones who can catch but can't block. So it's more efficient to just use an OL who can block or a WR who can catch than have someone who doesn't do either exceptionally. So then recruiting wise, elite TEs who CAN do both aren't going to be Guinea pigs for his TE usage and he is stuck in his dilemma. You use what you have.

Riley did the same at Oklahoma. He was a textbook air Raid guy at E. Carolina. Then he got to Oklahoma and said, "Wow we have talent RBs, we have to incorporate them." He didn't suddenly decide to run the ball in an air Raid and start recruiting RBs. It was there when he arrived. Leach has said he would have no problem changing his air Raid to suit the talent. If he'd been at Miami I don't think there is any reason to doubt that he'd have incorporated a run game and TEs into his air Raid since that is what would have been on the roster.

18 returning starters this past season.

let’s see what happens next year when he loses 4 starting OL and a senior QB. Oregon is going to be drastically different next year and filled with players that Mario actually recruited and brought it.
So is that on mario that a school goes through normal growing pains? Was that same line he has now even mediocre when willie was there? How bout that all star qb yall speak of? How bout their defense? How bout their depth & recruiting classes? How bout their coaching staff? Stop sounding like blind trolls and hating on the man just for the sake of hating on him. He did what was best for himself and his family AND what um royalty advised him to do when he left alfraud. Grow up and move on. Most likely the window to get him back here is past now anyhow so it wont matter to yall who dont want him. This program would rather swindlers and car salesman as coaches cause that's what the admin & fanbase deserves. Just put thought into what yall say not just blind animosity.

Advertisement
So is that on mario that a school goes through normal growing pains? Was that same line he has now even mediocre when willie was there? How bout that all star qb yall speak of? How bout their defense? How bout their depth & recruiting classes? How bout their coaching staff? Stop sounding like blind trolls and hating on the man just for the sake of hating on him. He did what was best for himself and his family AND what um royalty advised him to do when he left alfraud. Grow up and move on. Most likely the window to get him back here is past now anyhow so it wont matter to yall who dont want him. This program would rather swindlers and car salesman as coaches cause that's what the admin & fanbase deserves. Just put thought into what yall say not just blind animosity.

you sound like you need to grow considering the only thing I posted was fact.

18 returning starters is a huge number in college football especially when You bring 4 starting OL back. The team will be different next year, but I guess I should just get down on my knees for a former Miami player that won a ****** conference.

I don't know what is rumor or fact, but supposedly a member of the BOT had talked to Cristobal immediately after Richt retired, Mario was very interested, the member told Carol Soffer, and she was willing to pay the 10 million buyout to Oregon for Mario. So everything was lined up for Cristobal. Then Blake James f#cked it all up and hired Diaz because they were friends (or had something to do with Mayor Diaz- I don't remember the exact reason why), even though he knew that the Cristobal deal was being worked.
If that's the case, why hasn't the ******* been fired.

Advertisement
Is his wife from Miami and wants to move back home? If both those are true then he will be back here. In all seriousness there are trustees that wanted him and had the buyout from Oregon ready but James panicked cause he is in over his head. He has really turned around that O-Line and physicality of that program something we could use.

Fans don't deserve this breh but everything else u said was facts

Oregon doesn’t win because of Herbert. They win because of their OL.

Watch their playcalling in big moments. They don’t really trust Herbert. They trust their physicality.
Atleast someone pays attention. Herbert is pretty good but what separates them is their physicality & their running game.

Advertisement
Cool a Cristobal thread that turned into a Leach thread.

How refreshing.

As for the OP I think a lot of people said a few years back when his name was popping up and people were clamoring for him that we should wait and see how he does. Fast forward a little while and he seems to be doing a solid job.

Atleast someone pays attention. Herbert is pretty good but what separates them is their physicality & their running game.

The 2 defense i respect they played......

they barely ran for 4 yards a carry.

Mario is smart to recruit and emphasize on physcality...especially in that conference of finesse. He can win long term being Washington like.

Advertisement
Back