God **** It: It Is Time To Re-Examine Mario Cristobal

Advertisement
Would easily be the best coach Miami has had since Butch Davis. Not even close.
Yeah he's a "Miami guy" but he has been around the block learning his craft. I would take him in a heart beat. I don't think he will come here. Perhaps last year was a chance to pry him out but Blake gave Temple 4 mill instead

I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 11 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.

I have had a similar about-face on Mario. I'm not all-in on him, but am willing to consider the idea now.

That said, unless Blake is fired and the athletic department undergoes a wholesale re-tooling, he'd be crazy to leave Oregon to come here.

Advertisement
He’s a coach that will consistently win 8-10 games in the weak PAC 10 and never make the playoffs. He had a 1st rd qb and lost 2 games? Lol
If Oregon would make it they would get killed by the 4 teams that will make it to the playoffs.

I don't understand the contention with mario. Think he would be pretty solid for us as opposed to other coaches Miami would hire, I think worst case he's the harbaugh to our michigan. Also, I really don't think Herbert is as good as people make him out to be, not irreplaceable. Time will tell though.

I was not a fan of hiring Mario. But at the time I didnt think it was right to hire a coach that was fired from FIU. Clearly, that situation has changed.

I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 11 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.
Great recruiter.

knows OL.

can build a staff.

great recruiter.

Mario is a recruiting machine, he will continue to have great classes and field top notch teams.his O line was absolutely dominate last night and this will be his calling card. do not underestimate the amount of money that Oregon has to develop a championship program, facilities, support staff, S&C program everything is state of the art...... Mario learned well from nIck Congrats to him.
As far as our hires go was Howard a Miami guy? Jimmy ? Butch ? Dennis ?
all you need is to keep continuity with a HS coaches. if FSU hires Norvel , he will keep Haggins and a couple of key people in recruiting area. ask yourself was Urban Meyer a Fla guy NO but absolutely cleaned up on Recruiting trail.
its absolute hogwash , that we need an HC who understands Miami.... everyone understands a winner
this whole "he needs to understand Miami ?? sounds like Blakes latest excuse
main problem at Miami is bad hires and to much inbred personnel in University as a whole with no new blood to reinvigorate the AD dept.

Advertisement
Why would Mario come back here ? Way too funny as he has it going at Oregon which is a great place to be financially and the program has tons of money with support.

He’s a coach that will consistently win 8-10 games in the weak PAC 10 and never make the playoffs. He had a 1st rd qb and lost 2 games? Lol
If Oregon would make it they would get killed by the 4 teams that will make it to the playoffs.

Does this post really makes sense to you?? You’re dissing a HC that only loss 2 games just beat the #5 team in the country and is going to be playing in the rose bowl... Oregon would beat us by 50 points this year.

You guys are enjoying your group *********ion are you?

Mario and his ego is looking for a HC job in the NFL as soon as he establishes his bona fides at Oregon...

Him even thinking about a trailer trash program like Miami?

Psshhh..... keep fapping if it makes you feel good.....

Does this post really makes sense to you?? You’re dissing a HC that only loss 2 games and is going to be playing in the rose bowl... Oregon would beat us by 50 points this year.

Oregon would not beat us by 50. Let me make it easier for you to understand.
Let’s say we had Oregon money at Miami. U think we wouldn’t go undefeated in the weak coastal and be a top 10 team nationally?

Advertisement

Saban lost two games this year

Advertisement
18 returning starters this past season.

let’s see what happens next year when he loses 4 starting OL and a senior QB. Oregon is going to be drastically different next year and filled with players that Mario actually recruited and brought it.

Name me a coach who wouldn't have difficulty with that type of attrition

Our beloved "U" is now considered a second tier program. All the Blue-Blood programs raid our back yard for elite recruits. Let's just be honest ... We can win with the right Coach, but the top up-n-coming coaches want no part of this second tier program.

In holding pattern until I see what happens without an NFL QB

Advertisement
Back