God **** It: It Is Time To Re-Examine Mario Cristobal

Let's stop torturing ourselves.

That ship has sailed and is NOT coming back...EVER.

It is simply NOT in his best interest to leave Oregon. We cannot match or even approach their resources and super booster S. Balmer.

We tend to overestimate our attractiveness to others outside of Miami.

Yes the athletes are here but they have consistently shown that they do not get homesick and can easily be enticed to leave.

Very few people leave smooth sailing and rush to join what is now considered a sinking ship....the ones that do are called IDIOT'S.

Mario is not an idiot

Advertisement
Look at the dopes continuing to move the goal posts because he won the PAC 10 and is headed to a big time bowl.

Mario is kicking *** at a major program and all the butthurt boys can’t take it.

He’s a coach that will consistently win 8-10 games in the weak PAC 10 and never make the playoffs. He had a 1st rd qb and lost 2 games? Lol
If Oregon would make it they would get killed by the 4 teams that will make it to the playoffs.

So now you have resorted to making up **** to justify your dumb opinion.

Sure sign of a complete buffoon.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators

Did not know that. Am impressed
Me either. This means he has an eye for talented coaches. THose are very good coaches. Additionally they also see something in Mario if they jumped on his wagon. Mario hired two quality coaches for Oregon. OC Arroyo and DC Avalos. He dismissed , I think Levitt, which is a quality DC. Went with the younger Avalos. Avalos turn the defense around, which is solid. They're quick and physical . I'm sold on Mario He's a smart , passionate and relentless. But, I doubt highly he'll come here now. He's got full support from Oregon administration He's got Oregon going in the right upward direction. Meanwhile, our Athletic Dept. is controlled by behind the curtain feminists.

Advertisement
I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 11 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.
They weren’t overruled. Blake went rogue. Mario will be our next hc if Blake is gone

Advertisement
Diaz is likely in the same situation Taggert was in this season. 5 games MAX next season to get things turned around. If he can't get it done in those first 5 games, he's gone.

Cristobal is an obvious choice (assuming of course Oregon doesn't have a massive fall off next year), but certainly not the only one.

This job despite what some may think has enough clout to draw in a top notch coach.

James Franklin seems like he's waiting for the right job to leave Penn St.

Matt Rhule won't be a Baylor long.

Matt Campbell at Iowa State.

Steve Sarkisian wouldn't be a bad hire.

Chris Petersen will likely return for 2021 (although USC will likely scoop him up)

This is a pretty comical thread, all in all. The premise that a hot commodity like Cristobal could somehow be cajoled or coerced (or bribed, for that matter) to risk putting a massive blemish on his resume by coming to Miami is just pure fantasy, not rooted in any sense of reality. Let's be honest - there are exactly two kinds of coaches available to us (under the equally unlikely assumption that the BOT/James actually did fire Diaz) are up and coming coaches without great HC pedigrees, and elderly has beens that need twenty mule teams to haul their baggage. We're pretty much screwed.

How can you certain what these guys will do? As D-Money has emphasized, it's **** hard to identify a great coach.

If I knew that Mario Cristobal would prioritize a physical running game combined with an attacking defense, then absolutely I would have wanted him. We already knew he can recruit. That advancement from 16 or 20 recruiting level where Oregon had been -- alongside the Canes -- up to late Top 10 cannot be understated. That is a full touchdown per game, whether posters here want to accept it or not.

Everyone wants a supercharged spread offense. But it has to be Lincoln Riley level of several standard deviations above the norm. If you somehow get there, then defense doesn't mean as much. Obviously that is an extreme outlier. For the rest of the coaching world you still need to do it both ways. Legitimate defensive intensity is the best ticket, as I've pointed out countless times. The national leaders in pass defense are again leading the polls and playoff rankings.

Most likely Cristobal cannot take Oregon to the next level. That next level requires Top 5 recruiting classes year after year. The rest of the nation is basically shut out of that right now. It is hilarious around here when we go nuts over a Gregory Rousseau. That's one of many on the truly loaded teams. They have players of that caliber at one position after another.

Justin Herbert is going to be a maddening pro evaluation. He was only a 3 star recruit and plays like it quite frequently. The Oregon offense doesn't allow a great perspective because of all the ridiculous sideways passes behind the line of scrimmage. If Cristobal deserves criticism in any area, that is it. The passing game is absurdly conservative given what they have. Then Herbert will fake a sideways throw and pivot to throw downfield. That play is frequently wide open, given the defensive spotlight on the parallel play. But that style doesn't translate at all to the NFL. How will Herbert fare in a traditional offense when he's forced to drop back square and aim at targets in middle seams? His instincts and accuracy don't look to be anything special.

Advertisement
Put yourself in Cristobal's shoes...

Either stay at Oregon, where I have top notch facilities, an on campus stadium, large fan base, Billionaire booster base, elite recruiting & oh... I just won the fckin Pac-12. OR, come to Miami to coach under a complete sack of shít in Blake Mangina James & The Funeral Home Director Julio Frenk who doesn't even like Football. Oh, and my Boosters don't give two shít about Football either & just see Miami as a tax write off and give the least amount of support possible & a "Lovely" fanbase that will want me fired in year one... Hmmm I wonder which team I should choose? 🤔
Yep Look at the situation without the orange and green shades and it's pretty obvious that Miami is far from a dream situation for a proven top tier HC. Even if money isn't an issue (which it always seems to be because, well.....hey, this is Miami and the school always screams about how poor it is).

Advertisement
We could do a lot worse than Mario Cristobal at this point.

I know, with Mario, we'd get monster recruiting classes, have a pretty good to great OL, and have a defensive line that is stout af.

Will we lose some unnecessary games every year? Yeah. But it'll be like one unnecessary game a year as opposed to the unnecessary five we currently lose annually.

This fanbase has scoffed at Mario and Mike Leach for years...yet we continuously trot out slop that those same fanboys clap clap fistpump until its overly obvious that the current coach is an absolute bum.

We could do a lot worse than Mario Cristobal at this point.

I know, with Mario, we'd get monster recruiting classes, have a pretty good to great OL, and have a defensive line that is stout af.

Will we lose some unnecessary games every year? Yeah. But it'll be like one unnecessary game a year as opposed to the unnecessary five we currently lose annually.

This fanbase has scoffed at Mario and Mike Leach for years...yet we continuously trot out slop that those same fanboys clap clap fistpump until its overly obvious that the current coach is an absolute bum.
Agree with you on Mario, but again, what reason would he have to come here, like seriously what kinda drugs would he have to be on to leave his great situation at Oregon to come to Miami?

And Mike Leach is trash, the most overrated Coach ever in Canes fans history. His disciples are 10x the coach he is.

I'll take Heupel over Leach all day.

Advertisement
Back