Give it to me straight

Nobody likes to be shuttled somewhere.

My daughter wants the college experience and will transfer with one of the reasons being nobody goes to games because the stadium is too far. Not the reason but just one of the reasons

Hopefully with money and persistence they will figure something out
Miami is not the traditional college experience.

Advertisement
With enough money anything is possible. Density or not still squeezing same amount of people on similar type roads. On game days roads become one way.

Wasn’t the orange bowl in a dense area? This wouldn’t be the same size.

Don’t care but for those who think on campus stadiums don’t impact the mindset of recruits IMO are off. If not on UM campus needs to be close and their own.
The OB was built in '37.
Zoning restrictions and population are night and day.
Besides, did the OB really work when you have front lawns being used for parking?
(Well, It worked for me but CG doesn't want to hear about it).

I posted above on an architect's plan to get Baylor's stadium done.
They were pretty creative in convincing the local Board of alternate parking and egress solutions to get it passed.
As I said, that monorail (or whatever it's called- MetroMover?) can be key to a solution.

Not going to happen in Coral Gables. The bottom line is the tax paying residents of CG. They have all the power. They have an ordinance where they can't even mow their lawn on Sundays. NO way they will allow a stadium in their ctiy. Nobody will want the noise, traffic, or people.
They wont have to mow it after we flatten the grass with our cars the night before.

The most important fans to cater to are the students.
You really think so? The students pay for the most expensive tix and more than one each? And there are several thousands of them at the games to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

This is not a major university. If you had said this at Michigan, OSU, UF, UT, I could possibly agree with you. But to tell me that the corporate box that my company has at Hard Rock is meaningless to the revenue and bottom line and I will laugh. Oh, and Tropical park is close enough for the students to attend the games.

I also imagine that you are being facetious based upon the date that you joined CIS…or are in the really long tenured program for graduating with a bachelors, masters, doctorate and phd.

Advertisement
I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?
If Ruiz had the means to do it all by himself, like a Jeff Bezos type, I’d say 75%. Since Ruiz is not a multibillionaire and needs help, I’m saying 1%.

You really think so? The students pay for the most expensive tix and more than one each? And there are several thousands of them at the games to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

This is not a major university. If you had said this at Michigan, OSU, UF, UT, I could possibly agree with you. But to tell me that the corporate box that my company has at Hard Rock is meaningless to the revenue and bottom line and I will laugh. Oh, and Tropical park is close enough for the students to attend the games.

I also imagine that you are being facetious based upon the date that you joined CIS…or are in the really long tenured program for graduating with a bachelors, masters, doctorate and phd.
How many people going to the game and donating to the program and school in general are former students?

I didn't say it had to be directly on campus. But Students are what make College football games great. Don't get it twisted. And they are the ones that support the program in the future. They are the foundation on which the program is built and will be successful. A 40minute bus ride is not a good experience.

I graduated a while ago.

Not if you present the UCF model to the CG planning Board.
The density of the UCF campus and surrounding areas to Coral Gables does not compare.
I don't think the neighborhoods are comparable. The honest truth if you look is that stadiums are built where land is the cheapest. That's either rural, or in poorer urban areas where a stadium is seen as a boost to businesses.

Coral Gables is an upscale city by and large. There is NO way a stadium is being built there. Those citizens will have none of that. If I owned a home there, I wouldn't either. That city has money. They don't need any financial benefit a stadium would bring.

Advertisement
I say 51% odds. Very slightly more likely than not we will at least be partial owners of a new stadium somewhere in Miami. We know there is a 99.9% certainty a MLS stadium is getting built (I think it was a condition for getting the franchise awarded). The question is whether UM will be a partner. Cost of expanding a stadium from 30k to 50k of seats will cost about the same as another 20 yr lease at Hard Rock. Problem with the Hard Rock lease is in 7 or 8 years as we approach the end of the lease (2032), Hard Rock is likely going to be in need of another major face-lift, and there is a good chance Ross will have passed away. UM will have to beg whoever the new owner is to invest money in upgrades or it becomes a joke again that we are stuck playing in a dilapidated stadium we don't own. And if we had chosen not to partner with Mas on the MLS /football stadium, we are forked. Nothing can do except renew the lease at Hard Rock and pay whatever exorbitant rate they ask. Radakovich is smart enough to do the cost benefit calculation and realize that doing nothing except renewing the lease at Hard Rock in 2032 for another 20 years is a terrible business decision.

If Ruiz had the means to do it all by himself, like a Jeff Bezos type, I’d say 75%. Since Ruiz is not a multibillionaire and needs help, I’m saying 1%.

I don't know the exact financial status of John Ruiz, but he's supposedly on track to be worth $20 billion.

How many people going to the game and donating to the program and school in general are former students?

I didn't say it had to be directly on campus. But Students are what make College football games great. Don't get it twisted. And they are the ones that support the program in the future. They are the foundation on which the program is built and will be successful. A 40minute bus ride is not a good experience.

I graduated a while ago.
Is Tropical Park not close enough? It seems as if it’s the only option if they are to build a stadium close by. The original comments were about the possibility about a stadium at CG High, which growing up nearby and hating the traffic today, thought it idiotic. The comment was about the best alternative and someone asking why Tropical is mentioned frequently.

Yes, I agree, students and eventual alumni make the game great. I am a fan due to my parents being alumni and remaining involved and allowing my brother and I the opportunity to see some amazing games in the 80’s and 90’s. But the revenue comes from the brand.

I am not getting it twisted but have you traveled with the team anywhere? And have you traveled with another school? Even in 2002, the Fiesta Bowl was 75/25 OSU. We just don’t have the same base of alumni that larger schools do.

We are a unique animal as graduating classes are less than 10,000 where at other schools they are over 25,000. It’s not apples-to-apples.

well he said make the stadium like the original OB was, so location won't matter, I miss wading in **** but can they replicate that again?

Advertisement
Hard Rock is located in ****** Miami Gardens with nothing near it. The seats directly behind the home bench are always empty because they're serving champagne and caviar inside one of the million lounges designed to keep your attention away from the field. It's usually about 30-40% empty when UM plays there. The sightlines are generally not great and the place is simply enormous and only feels cozy and intimate when it's sold out. We can and must do better.

Is Tropical Park not close enough? It seems as if it’s the only option if they are to build a stadium close by. The original comments were about the possibility about a stadium at CG High, which growing up nearby and hating the traffic today, thought it idiotic. The comment was about the best alternative and someone asking why Tropical is mentioned frequently.

Yes, I agree, students and eventual alumni make the game great. I am a fan due to my parents being alumni and remaining involved and allowing my brother and I the opportunity to see some amazing games in the 80’s and 90’s. But the revenue comes from the brand.

I am not getting it twisted but have you traveled with the team anywhere? And have you traveled with another school? Even in 2002, the Fiesta Bowl was 75/25 OSU. We just don’t have the same base of alumni that larger schools do.

We are a unique animal as graduating classes are less than 10,000 where at other schools they are over 25,000. It’s not apples-to-apples.
Tropical park sounds like the most likely but who knows. The new mall area is probably the easiest, but provides the smallest improvement in fan experience - if not a full on downgrade tbh - though at least it would be the university owned...so still better than the current situation financially.

I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?
It's Dade, anything is possible.

Until some game changing development, at best <1%. Maybe they gain traction by making it available on Friday nights for HS ball.

Think of Mas/Beckham connections amd they are on what, choice #4?

Don't be surprised if they stay at Lockhart for a while.

Advertisement
I don't think the neighborhoods are comparable. The honest truth if you look is that stadiums are built where land is the cheapest. That's either rural, or in poorer urban areas where a stadium is seen as a boost to businesses.

Coral Gables is an upscale city by and large. There is NO way a stadium is being built there. Those citizens will have none of that. If I owned a home there, I wouldn't either. That city has money. They don't need any financial benefit a stadium would bring.
I was responding to a poster who compared UCF's stadium to a potential stadium in CG.

They are not comparable.
I agree.

Again, unless Ruiz can wrangle up well over $1 billion of private money, probably much more, this is a nonstarter. Public monies will not be spent on this, that I can guarantee you. And a Coral Gables stadium, including on campus, is 100% out of the picture. I can guarantee that will never happen.

Yup!!! I live in WPB and I like hard rock ! Right off turnpike and easy to get in and out ! Stadium would be ****!! Parking in someone front lawn for $30 in Miami, is not my idea of a good time lol
Once upon a time, It was the best … ever

IF any one of you ever even watch a Marlins game on TV, then you are part of the problem. Eventually, they will move to Charlotte or something and we will get our old stadium back.

Advertisement
Back