Give it to me straight

Advertisement
1% on a great day.

Rad talking about it feels as if he wants to placate a big time donor, but anyone who has been in CG over the last 4 decades can easily see that there isn't anywhere to build, AND the politics of the area make it impossible. Can you build at Trop Park? Maybe, but there are also huge challenges there, including convincing the county that removing a very popular public park and turning it into a site for a private University is politically sensible(If you vote for that and the people revolt, kiss your career goodbye)

Why not build a fancy high school that just happens to look like a football stadium? Come on people, think outside the box. :D

I find my way to the Stadium no matter where it is.
If it can happen in the Gables, nice.

I know most of you guys don't care about the working numbers.
As one poster put it...."let the architects figure it out, that's what they get paid for".

Our best shot is to convince CG Board is similar to the approach Baylor took.

At Baylor, 120 acres are devoted to the stadium and other athletics venues across the Brazos River from campus, with the 45,000-seat football stadium consuming 13 acres of the site. As a general rule of thumb, between three and four people are expected to occupy every car coming to a spectator sports venue. “It would be great if you could say, ‘Okay, if we divide 45,000 seats by 3.5 for vehicle occupancy, we’re at about 13,000,’ ” Elmer says. “That said, you may not have the site area to accommodate 13,000 parking spaces, so you have to work with the ownership, and work with the municipalities in which the stadium, ballpark or arena is sited to determine how you’re going to get patrons to the venue.”

...Baylor’s stadium will be fed by a new $10 million pedestrian bridge. “Whether it be foot traffic or bicycle or moped, we anticipate that bridge will deliver about 5,600 people from campus on a game day,” says Elmer, adding that shuttle ridership will bring the number of patrons arriving by vehicle down further to approximately 37,000

Compensating for Baylor’s anticipated onsite parking shortfall will be lots around campus and in downtown Waco, Texas. “You now have to figure out how people who park downtown are going to get to the stadium,” Elmer says. “So we’ve developed a river walk network that runs adjacent to the river and connects to downtown. People can park downtown and walk 15 to 20 minutes along the river, which is a pretty pleasant pedestrian experience. Or they can park on campus and they can walk across the new pedestrian bridge that was part of the project.”

IMO, if this thing even works, the monorail that runs along South Dixie will play a big part in this.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/facilities/stadium-arena/article/15145172/designing-for-parking-fan-traffic-at-spectator-venues

And this is how the professionals figure things out. Its not for us to figure out. The fanbase just needs to have the appetite for it. It is the AD’s job to show the fanbase HOW this launches the program up another level. You still have folks talking about commute time, how loud HRS is, and traffic. They dont get it YET.

Advertisement
I'll give it to you straight: like any and everything in Miami the last 50 years, this is just another real estate hustle.

Don't forget the mayor of Coral Gables is a licensed realtor and (legally believe it or not) is allowed to profit off of projects.

I dont think this thing is as far fetched now as some would have you believe. Just have follow the money and see who really benefits (itll be about 3 or 4 names before you see UM Football on that list).

To be clear, it's a terrible idea from a logistics standpoint. I can't think of a worse place to build a stadium than Coral Gables.
100% facts, great post. I doubt "love of school" is the Ruiz motivation. Who is gaining power? Who is gaining influence? Who is gaining public cache? Who is gaining economic value?

Advertisement
And this is how the professionals figure things out. Its not for us to figure out. The fanbase just needs to have the appetite for it. It is the AD’s job to show the fanbase HOW this launches the program up another level. You still have folks talking about commute time, how loud HRS is, and traffic. They dont get it YET.
Although I mentioned Baylor's approach to solving their problem, the Baylor stadium and immediate parking area is twice the size of CGHS.
The pro's involved in this have to be even more creative...or, should I say, "convincingly creative".

I went to a Notre Dame/UCLA game at the Rose Bowl, which happens to be 20 miles off campus. But, most of the parking is done in lots in downtown Pasadena and buses take you to the stadium.

Although I mentioned Baylor's approach to solving their problem, the Baylor stadium and immediate parking area is twice the size of CGHS.
The pro's involved in this have to be even more creative...or, should I say, "convincingly creative".

Right, but it doesn’t need to be CG. The biggest thing is that it needs to be a state of the art stadium that UM owns and operates 100%. All revenue and any decisions regarding the stadium are that of UM. If that means it is somewhere other than CG then so be it.

Advertisement
Tropical Park is a substantial piece of land right off of the highway and Bird Road. Forget the stadium that is there now. They would demolish and build a huge stadium in its place. I believe the reason that it is being touted as a better possibility is the size of a single piece of land (largest in the area besides killing a golf course that is unlikely). Also, the land is largely being unused, especially since Santa’s Enchanted $hithole is no longer operating, so there is more space on the periphery for parking, etc.

Also the proximity to a major highway is important for traffic control (could you imagine FLA Live - former BB&T Center without a highway next too it; it would be gridlock before and after games or shows). On the same note, which stadium in the area doesn’t have a major highway next to it (Hardrock - turnpike, Marlins - 836, FLA Live - Sawgrass and 595, FTX - 95 and downtown is a mess with Heat games until traffic clears). So putting a stadium on the corner of Le Jeune and US1 would be a nightmare since you can’t go through the gables since it would create a mess and you have 7 miles of traffic on US1 from the end of 95 that is already undesirable. The only thing redeeming about this is that it doesn’t have water on one side of it so you have 4 directions to leave from it instead of 3.

I live close to the stadium in Broward so I love it there. But if it had to be somewhere, the only way that you make it possible is Tropical Stadium due to ability to control traffic experience. Canes fans have been displaced all over South Florida beginning with Hurricane Andrew and you need to cater to all so that you don’t end up with a smaller empty stadium because it is too difficult to get into and out of.
Tropical is the absolute most logical lace in terms of a huge site. Over 250 acres.
Access to several freeways. 3 miles from campus.
I’ll guess that at least 80 percent of the people within a 5 mile radius are long time Miami natives.
The park is so big you can add shops and dining. To the stadium.

The other site I’ve been talking about has been the new Miami mall off of i75.
Instead of trying to build around an existing community the stadium will be hilt with no boundaries and as that area grows the surrounding areas will have to build around it instead.
Yeah it’s literally 10 minutes from hard rock. But at least it will be the schools’s stadium and you can get all the profits from the stadium.
You don’t have to limit the capacity.
It can be the home to the orange bowl.

Having it next to a mall that size will make that stadium the top choice for concerted and events.
If you find a way to make it retractable then your talking about unlimited potential as a destination for concerts, ufc, boxing etc.

It’s gonna be the largest mall in America, skating rink, roller coaster, ice skating, hotels, water park.

The official visit will be unparalleled to recruits and their families

Then the most Miami of all moves would be to make it close to the water. Places like bay front, or one of that parks by one of the marinas.
Of course key biscayne has plenty of space. Imagine a park like oracle in San Fran where the giants play.
Playing an afternoon game and having a west end zone open to the skyline.

Then the lee is always Hialeah Race track.
About as close to an orange bowl experience as you can get. I can only imagine opposing fans stopping for gas in that area of Hialeah. I can see the opposing team buses wondering if they’re still in America and asking the bus driver “what’s with all the dead chickens in the road”?

There are several places if the money is there’s but coral gables despite being close to campus is the worst location that anyone has mentioned.

I agree with the hustle angle. Why would anyone in their right mind want to build a stadium there.
I see the appeal. The same city as the school. The proximity to campus.
The proximity to Merrick Park. Tailgaiting? Forget about it.
Parking, nightmare on elm street level.
Traffic? Day of the dead level.

I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?
The Coral Gables High plan. Less than 1% since it involves Coral Gables (most anal retentive city in Florida, if not the nation) and approval by the county and state to relocate a public school. However, the real hope comes from the fact that someone is now thinking outside the box AND is willing to commit substantial resources, so other options may come into play.

Think of it as a mixed use development that will be build around UM extending their campus to that area, and have a stadium as a component. Will also have different types of housing, including student housing, class rooms, retail, dining, office, etc. Any chance to connect the new campus with the main campus by rail?

Advertisement
Think of it as a mixed use development that will be build around UM extending their campus to that area, and have a stadium as a component. Will also have different types of housing, including student housing, class rooms, retail, dining, office, etc. Any chance to connect the new campus with the main campus by rail?
Will open in 2031.

In more encouraged that Ruiz seems to be open to ideas of it located somewhere else if need be as I don’t see the CGHS thing happening.

Advertisement
Back