Give it to me straight

Everyone who lives in Broward and Palm Beach thinks this is a bad idea.
Yup!!! I live in WPB and I like hard rock ! Right off turnpike and easy to get in and out ! Stadium would be ****!! Parking in someone front lawn for $30 in Miami, is not my idea of a good time lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Insert Blutarsky 0,0 gif.
eyebrows flirting GIF

I keep seeing tropical park which I never been to but can someone explain why it would be better? Isn’t it a very small stadium
Tropical Park is a substantial piece of land right off of the highway and Bird Road. Forget the stadium that is there now. They would demolish and build a huge stadium in its place. I believe the reason that it is being touted as a better possibility is the size of a single piece of land (largest in the area besides killing a golf course that is unlikely). Also, the land is largely being unused, especially since Santa’s Enchanted $hithole is no longer operating, so there is more space on the periphery for parking, etc.

Also the proximity to a major highway is important for traffic control (could you imagine FLA Live - former BB&T Center without a highway next too it; it would be gridlock before and after games or shows). On the same note, which stadium in the area doesn’t have a major highway next to it (Hardrock - turnpike, Marlins - 836, FLA Live - Sawgrass and 595, FTX - 95 and downtown is a mess with Heat games until traffic clears). So putting a stadium on the corner of Le Jeune and US1 would be a nightmare since you can’t go through the gables since it would create a mess and you have 7 miles of traffic on US1 from the end of 95 that is already undesirable. The only thing redeeming about this is that it doesn’t have water on one side of it so you have 4 directions to leave from it instead of 3.

I live close to the stadium in Broward so I love it there. But if it had to be somewhere, the only way that you make it possible is Tropical Stadium due to ability to control traffic experience. Canes fans have been displaced all over South Florida beginning with Hurricane Andrew and you need to cater to all so that you don’t end up with a smaller empty stadium because it is too difficult to get into and out of.

Advertisement
I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?

I actually think it has a good chance but it won’t be in Coral Gables. Tropical park is the most likely spot that has the land available but couple things need to happen.

1. Ruiz is gonna have to show how this would be built without tax payer dollars. Miami Dade county taxpayers don’t forget the Marlins stadium debacle.

2. It would have to be a multi use facility and I believe Ruiz has alluded to that. Shops and restaurants around it etc.. show how the land would benefit everyone in the county not just the Hurricanes.

3. Probably would have to do something to expand traffic roads, off ramps etc

4. Finally, gonna have to make some promises and favors to get done. People in the county are gonna have their hands out and want their backs scratched to sign off on this… the dirty side of the deal

I'll give it to you straight: like any and everything in Miami the last 50 years, this is just another real estate hustle.

Don't forget the mayor of Coral Gables is a licensed realtor and (legally believe it or not) is allowed to profit off of projects.

I dont think this thing is as far fetched now as some would have you believe. Just have follow the money and see who really benefits (itll be about 3 or 4 names before you see UM Football on that list).

To be clear, it's a terrible idea from a logistics standpoint. I can't think of a worse place to build a stadium than Coral Gables.

If he is serious, i think the probability of it happening “somewhere” is HIGH. This new AD will view it as a no brainer. Would be one of the most transformative moves in UM athletics history, if not THEE most transformative. You dont turn down someone willing to basically gift a stadium, IF HE IS SERIOUS. You just dont say no to that. You stay up at nights and try to come up with proposals that will entice those that need convincing.
I fall on this side of the debate...they are putting together a team to get this accomplished. If they can make a few hurdles then we are home clear.

Advertisement
They'll kick around the idea for a few years for the free press then give up.
It’s not beyond belief that there’s no intention of actually building the thing, it’s all just for attention. Or there’s a plan B that’s really plan A.

Not the Gables site but definitely more possible that it happens somewhere with Radakovich on board. Tropical Park seems the most logical.

Exactly.

Ruiz's money and an athletic director on-board with an "on campus" stadium—Radakovich's words, not mine—have to believe something is going to happen in the area.

Advertisement
I mean Rad can give his alma mater an oncampus stadium (or near campus) and he's got the funds with ruiz.

i think it'll happen just will take a long time and I think it'll be tropical park or somewhere like that

I think it is high on one of the alternate sites, not CG High. They are not thinking CG High land or bust. If there will ever be a stadium for UM football not too far from campus this is the very best chance of it happening. Very rich and connected family determined to do what others failed and do it on there own dime.

I find my way to the Stadium no matter where it is.
If it can happen in the Gables, nice.

I know most of you guys don't care about the working numbers.
As one poster put it...."let the architects figure it out, that's what they get paid for".

Our best shot is to convince CG Board is similar to the approach Baylor took.

At Baylor, 120 acres are devoted to the stadium and other athletics venues across the Brazos River from campus, with the 45,000-seat football stadium consuming 13 acres of the site. As a general rule of thumb, between three and four people are expected to occupy every car coming to a spectator sports venue. “It would be great if you could say, ‘Okay, if we divide 45,000 seats by 3.5 for vehicle occupancy, we’re at about 13,000,’ ” Elmer says. “That said, you may not have the site area to accommodate 13,000 parking spaces, so you have to work with the ownership, and work with the municipalities in which the stadium, ballpark or arena is sited to determine how you’re going to get patrons to the venue.”

...Baylor’s stadium will be fed by a new $10 million pedestrian bridge. “Whether it be foot traffic or bicycle or moped, we anticipate that bridge will deliver about 5,600 people from campus on a game day,” says Elmer, adding that shuttle ridership will bring the number of patrons arriving by vehicle down further to approximately 37,000

Compensating for Baylor’s anticipated onsite parking shortfall will be lots around campus and in downtown Waco, Texas. “You now have to figure out how people who park downtown are going to get to the stadium,” Elmer says. “So we’ve developed a river walk network that runs adjacent to the river and connects to downtown. People can park downtown and walk 15 to 20 minutes along the river, which is a pretty pleasant pedestrian experience. Or they can park on campus and they can walk across the new pedestrian bridge that was part of the project.”

IMO, if this thing even works, the monorail that runs along South Dixie will play a big part in this.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/facilities/stadium-arena/article/15145172/designing-for-parking-fan-traffic-at-spectator-venues

Advertisement
Back