Give it to me straight

I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?
He's already backed off the CG High site to a degree. It's possible if he's open to other areas.

Advertisement
I just don't see how it logistically works anywhere near campus. Transportation would be a nightmare.

We should just demolish Marlins stadium and rebuild there.

Oh ***nuts

Attachments

• 45585BC7-670F-41F8-97B4-27D9AC444F8B.gif
    45585BC7-670F-41F8-97B4-27D9AC444F8B.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Needs to be walking distance from campus.

Coral Gables High idea is the best one. Just do it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission I always say, just build the **** thing there

I will get season tickets for the Canes no matter where they go in South Florida. However, why are we feeding into this false recruiting line that Miami is not serious about football because it doesn't have its own stadium? Miami played for 70 years in the Orange Bowl which wasn't on campus. It played 20 of those years sharing the facility with the Dolphins. I'm sorry that the students have to drive a little further north to Hard Rock, but they will come if they are true fans. It is something to do on a Saturday and an opportunity to tailgate and drink. They still show up. After the 2017 ND and VT games, I realized that Hard Rock can be as intimidating as the OB. The key is the Canes need to put a winning product on the field so the games sell out.

If Ruiz is willing to pony up $500 million out of his own pocket, buy the land and build the stadium, and then gift it all to the university, go for it. This would allow the Canes to enjoy all the profits from ticketing, concessions, parking, etc. Then God bless him and let's get it done. Otherwise, just stay at Hard Rock.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Needs to be walking distance from campus.

Coral Gables High idea is the best one. Just do it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission I always say, just build the **** thing there
Yeah, that's not how it works, at all. 🤣 Sure, just show up and demolish a public high school without permission....that would lead to jail time and enormous fines.

Yeah, that's not how it works, at all. 🤣 Sure, just show up and demolish a public high school without permission....that would lead to jail time and enormous fines.

Sacrifices must be made sometimes, friend.

I was joking of course, but I do think on-campus or walking distance is the way to go. **** Coral Gables

Right, but it doesn’t need to be CG. The biggest thing is that it needs to be a state of the art stadium that UM owns and operates 100%. All revenue and any decisions regarding the stadium are that of UM. If that means it is somewhere other than CG then so be it.
Agreed.
I was just following the OP and reference to CGHS.

Advertisement
@Canedude08 is your man, but he has answered this so much, he may be bored with the subject now.

He’s not anymore connected than anyone else here answering this question. He’s just the most vocal pessimist. To answer the original question I think 20% overall, with gables itself/on campus being unlikely.

Odds dramatically increase though if his SPAC really does go through for 32B

I’m going to take a wild guess by presuming that when John Ruiz came out with his ambitious plan of building UM a new stadium near campus recently I thought the same thing as most of you...sounds great but will never happen. I’ve already read where school district leaders, former Gables High alum, and community leaders came out blasting the proposition and have thus started a petition. Surprising? No. Expected? Without question. There are people here much better equipped to answer this than me so I want the cold, hard truth; What percentage chance do you give this dream of ever becoming a reality?
Somewhere between zero and zero

I honestly don’t really care about any type of on campus stadium anymore. Hard rock with its upgrades in recent years has become a huge home field advantage. All you gotta do is win games and people will show.

Not going to happen in Coral Gables. The bottom line is the tax paying residents of CG. They have all the power. They have an ordinance where they can't even mow their lawn on Sundays. NO way they will allow a stadium in their ctiy. Nobody will want the noise, traffic, or people.

Advertisement
Not if you present the UCF model to the CG planning Board.
The density of the UCF campus and surrounding areas to Coral Gables does not compare.
With enough money anything is possible. Density or not still squeezing same amount of people on similar type roads. On game days roads become one way.

Wasn’t the orange bowl in a dense area? This wouldn’t be the same size.

Don’t care but for those who think on campus stadiums don’t impact the mindset of recruits IMO are off. If not on UM campus needs to be close and their own.

Advertisement
I think he is pushing for the improbable to get the possible.... forces them to compromise to the Tropical Park site without excessive demands from local officials for the Tropical Park location. ..

Last edited:
Building anything down south is a horrible idea.

Instead of trying to figure out how to get 10k students to the game efficiently, the stadium advocates want to figure out how to get 50 to 60k fans into Gables, plus their vehicles. Makes no sense.
Nobody likes to be shuttled somewhere.

My daughter wants the college experience and will transfer with one of the reasons being nobody goes to games because the stadium is too far. Not the reason but just one of the reasons

Hopefully with money and persistence they will figure something out

Tropical Park is a substantial piece of land right off of the highway and Bird Road. Forget the stadium that is there now. They would demolish and build a huge stadium in its place. I believe the reason that it is being touted as a better possibility is the size of a single piece of land (largest in the area besides killing a golf course that is unlikely). Also, the land is largely being unused, especially since Santa’s Enchanted $hithole is no longer operating, so there is more space on the periphery for parking, etc.

Also the proximity to a major highway is important for traffic control (could you imagine FLA Live - former BB&T Center without a highway next too it; it would be gridlock before and after games or shows). On the same note, which stadium in the area doesn’t have a major highway next to it (Hardrock - turnpike, Marlins - 836, FLA Live - Sawgrass and 595, FTX - 95 and downtown is a mess with Heat games until traffic clears). So putting a stadium on the corner of Le Jeune and US1 would be a nightmare since you can’t go through the gables since it would create a mess and you have 7 miles of traffic on US1 from the end of 95 that is already undesirable. The only thing redeeming about this is that it doesn’t have water on one side of it so you have 4 directions to leave from it instead of 3.

I live close to the stadium in Broward so I love it there. But if it had to be somewhere, the only way that you make it possible is Tropical Stadium due to ability to control traffic experience. Canes fans have been displaced all over South Florida beginning with Hurricane Andrew and you need to cater to all so that you don’t end up with a smaller empty stadium because it is too difficult to get into and out of.
The most important fans to cater to are the students.

Advertisement
Back