Gino

Advertisement
Casual fan here, why would it be hard to fire him? Is it just because of the Morris connection that would make it politically tough to get rid of him unless he completely bombs?

You cannot be serious. The Di Mare's are arguably UM's largest 'athletics donors'. UM borrowed $26M to complete the basketball arena and just finished paying off the loan (they could not raise the requisite funds...).

The baseball stadium came up $10M short, and that is after the Di Mare's compelled the Huziengas to donate. (The original plans called for a new building above the UM dugout, which they were unable to build. Moreover, the athletic department used its general fund to pay for the new permanent bleachers down the right and left field lines because they did not have enough money to build the stands dictated by the original design.)

You cannot be serious. The Di Mare's are arguably UM's largest 'athletics donors'. UM borrowed $26M to complete the basketball arena and just finished paying off the loan (they could not raise the requisite funds...).

The baseball stadium came up $10M short, and that is after the Di Mare's compelled the Huziengas to donate. (The original plans called for a new building above the UM dugout, which they were unable to build. Moreover, the athletic department used its general fund to pay for the new permanent bleachers down the right and left field lines because they did not have enough money to build the stands dictated by the original design.)

And yes I was serious.

Advertisement

A casual fan wouldn't know any of that. Don't be a ****.

Which has what to do with this conversation?

Here's my take on this topic, and we can all hope he does like he said in his press conference and wants to win more than anyone and that means winning a title:

There is nepotism and politics in every walk of life, especially in 2018. If you honestly think people make objective hiring/firing decisions based solely on merit and performance, you are living in some sort of fantasy world. That said, it's the AD's job to fire him if it comes to that. So, it's really a matter of which political body he fears most - one somewhat influential donor and member of the BOT or a bunch of angry alumni and fans.

And that pressure will depend on what the performance is. So, yes, I would agree that Gino will probably be allowed to coach for as long as he wants if he makes the post season regularly, gets to Omaha every now and then, etc. because there won't be enough heat from the masses like there is in football. But if his teams rarely make the post season and don't even sniff Omaha every three years or so, he'll be gone.

Advertisement
Blake is not going to fire Gino, ever. No one in the Sofler (sic) family ever attended a football game prior to her deciding to donate to the IPF. Di Mare has been a constant donor. I think that Gino would step down if he missed the Regionals two years in a row, though. He is definitely "non-dismissable".

Blake is not going to fire Gino, ever. No one in the Sofler (sic) family ever attended a football game prior to her deciding to donate to the IPF. Di Mare has been a constant donor. I think that Gino would step down if he missed the Regionals two years in a row, though. He is definitely "non-dismissable".
We just did that. Time for him to step down.

That wasn't the discussion. You brought up why he is bashed. That's simple. He is bashed because of the last two years. Not debatable.

This is really disingenuous or you just don't pay that much attention.

Gino hasn't just been bashed over the last 18 months.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fullerton's head coach is the West Coast version of Jim Morris, going 0-4 in Omaha in his seven years.

Florida State was a no pressure, low expectation hire considering that college baseball was an afterthought in America in 1980.

Louisville was a no pressure, low expectation hire considering that Louisville had one regional appearance in its entire history before 2007.

So, basically, your entire argument is "Kevin O'Sullivan had no HC experience". Which is funny because you've blasted Kevin O'Sullivan for losing early in the tournament.

None of this does anything to address the point I made. I see that you've conceded it.

And while I was blasting O'Sullivan for losing a lot in the postseason with some of the best teams, I was also saying that, of course, he had done a great job at Florida.

I'm reasonable like that.

Not sure we know that for sure, and not sure how you can be confident of that. That's what worries a bunch of us...miring in mediocrity while Gino plays HC for several years if he can't actually do the job - knowing all the while that how **** hard it's gonna be to fire him.

What evidence do you have for this "Gino will be content with losing and won't step down because of some kind of ego thing" claim?

You people just make stuff up.

Advertisement
Here's my take on this topic, and we can all hope he does like he said in his press conference and wants to win more than anyone and that means winning a title:

There is nepotism and politics in every walk of life, especially in 2018. If you honestly think people make objective hiring/firing decisions based solely on merit and performance, you are living in some sort of fantasy world. That said, it's the AD's job to fire him if it comes to that. So, it's really a matter of which political body he fears most - one somewhat influential donor and member of the BOT or a bunch of angry alumni and fans.

And that pressure will depend on what the performance is. So, yes, I would agree that Gino will probably be allowed to coach for as long as he wants if he makes the post season regularly, gets to Omaha every now and then, etc. because there won't be enough heat from the masses like there is in football. But if his teams rarely make the post season and don't even sniff Omaha every three years or so, he'll be gone.

The Dimares are not a "somewhat influential donor." It would be like Okie State firing T Boone Pickens' kid.

None of this does anything to address the point I made. I see that you've conceded it.

And while I was blasting O'Sullivan for losing a lot in the postseason with some of the best teams, I was also saying that, of course, he had done a great job at Florida.

I'm reasonable like that.

Right, saying that a school didn't have high expectations is a point against the other guy's list. When the same point is made against your list, though....

Really? Again, I'm not sure I get your end game you make statements that are irrelevant to the topic with nothing to substantiate them.

Advertisement
Back