Gino

Advertisement
I think next year's team is strong. If Amditis lasts throughout 2017, they make the tournament. They also lost both Reyes and Amditis for most of 2018. They should be top-20 next year, and the team is predominantly freshman.

Gino is going to produce very good teams for a number of years. My only concern is him becoming complacent. Arteaga is a "workaholic". Gino has a large family, beautiful wife and vast monetary sums. Am dubious as to how long he will remain motivated for.....

I believe he will field very solid teams for 3-5 years, but again that is an opinion.

Let's use the 8 CWS teams as examples:

Oregon State Head Coach - Previous HC experience
North Carolina Head Coach - Previous HC experience
Texas Tech Head Coach - Previous HC experience
Arkansas Head Coach - Previous HC experience
Mississippi State Head Coach - Previous HC experience
Florida Head Coach - 1st time HC
Washington Head Coach - Previous HC experience
Texas Head Coach - Previous HC experience

That's a mighty fine one year sample size you've got there.

Let's go all the way back to last year and do the same thing.

Cal State Fullerton - 1st time HC
Florida - 1st time HC
Florida State- 1st time HC
Louisville - 1st time HC
LSU - Previous HC experience
Oregon State - Previous HC experience
TCU - Previous HC experience
Texas A&M - Previous HC experience

Also, it's embarrassing for you to insinuate that you'd be OK with the Gino hire if he had been a head coach at DIII North Carolina Wesleyan (Mike Fox), DIII George Fox (Pat Casey) or Grayson Junior College (Tim Tadlock).

Advertisement

Florida - 1st time HC
Louisville - 1st time HC

50% last year and 88% this year. Most* power 5 coaches have experience as a HC when they are hired. Sure, some are hired as extremely good pitching or hitting coaches like O Sullivan, but it's not the majority (I also would not put Gino in the good hitting coach category)

Also, it's embarrassing for you to insinuate that you'd be OK with the Gino hire if he had been a head coach at DIII North Carolina Wesleyan (Mike Fox), DIII George Fox (Pat Casey) or Grayson Junior College (Tim Tadlock).

Those schools went outside the box and hired proven winners at smaller schools. It seems to be working out pretty well for them. I would be okay with the Gino hire if they did a national search and he was the best candidate. They didn't do a national search and he's not the best candidate for the job.

50% last year and 88% this year.

Yeah, there are only two kinds of coaches you can hire. Those with head coaching experience and those without.

So 50/50 is right down the middle.

2016 was 3/8 without head coaching experience.

See, you just picked the outlier and sold it as the rule.

Very stupid what you did.

Sure, some are hired as extremely good pitching or hitting coaches like O Sullivan, but it's not the majority (I also would not put Gino in the good hitting coach category)

That's because you don't really follow this program.

Let me know if you want me to post the resume because I could embarrass you on this.

Advertisement
Those schools went outside the box and hired proven winners at smaller schools.

First off, you're proving your ignorance here.

Tim Tadlock had to leave the JUCO ranks and be a D1 assistant before he got got his first major head coaching gig.

And you'd be killing Blake James at this very moment if he had hired a DIII head coach. Get real.

The two schools who made those hires were basically nobody (Oregon State) or next to nobody (North Carolina) on the college scene. Those were no pressure, low expectation hires.

Anyone on here want to have an intellectual conversation about the coaching hire? Because this "little" guy doesn't

:zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Says the guy who has gotten every fact wrong so far or has sold one year sample sizes as the rule.

You also have no idea if Kevin O'Sullivan was a great pitching coach. You just say that he was great because he's become a great head coach.

Gino is a lazy knucklehead. Anyone who thinks he was THE BEST hire that UM could make for this job is seriously delusional.

He could have been the best, most qualified person for the job (he isn't), and it still would have been a dumb move because he can't be fired.

Advertisement
I'd be more than willing to go over his track record on this.

It would probably surprise a lot of the people who don't really follow this team.

That wasn't the discussion. You brought up why he is bashed. That's simple. He is bashed because of the last two years. Not debatable.

Advertisement

Florida - 1st time HC
Louisville - 1st time HC

Fullerton's head coach is the West Coast version of Jim Morris, going 0-4 in Omaha in his seven years.

Florida State was a no pressure, low expectation hire considering that college baseball was an afterthought in America in 1980.

Louisville was a no pressure, low expectation hire considering that Louisville had one regional appearance in its entire history before 2007.

So, basically, your entire argument is "Kevin O'Sullivan had no HC experience". Which is funny because you've blasted Kevin O'Sullivan for losing early in the tournament.

He cannot be fired. That is true, BUT he will resign if he has a couple of poor years.
Not sure we know that for sure, and not sure how you can be confident of that. That's what worries a bunch of us...miring in mediocrity while Gino plays HC for several years if he can't actually do the job - knowing all the while that how **** hard it's gonna be to fire him.

Not sure we know that for sure, and not sure how you can be confident of that. That's what worries a bunch of us...miring in mediocrity while Gino plays HC for several years if he can't actually do the job - knowing all the while that how **** hard it's gonna be to fire him.

Casual fan here, why would it be hard to fire him? Is it just because of the Morris connection that would make it politically tough to get rid of him unless he completely bombs?

Casual fan here, why would it be hard to fire him? Is it just because of the Morris connection that would make it politically tough to get rid of him unless he completely bombs?

DiMare's father is one of the most influential donors to the University.

Advertisement
Back