Gilbert Frierson says he's playing STRIKER this season

We'd only have 5 corners left. Ivey, bandy, bethel, couch, and williams. Maybe smith comes back to corner, but I think coach baker has the personnel to run legit nickel and dime packages in addition to the 4-2-5 striker alignment. Should be fun seeing how all these chess pieces are moved around going forward.
6, don't forget about bethel.

Advertisement
Wow. I knew he wasn’t a CB but I thought safety all the way. Very interesting move here. So we got Finely, Smith and then Gil? I don’t see many reps being available for whoever is third on that depth chart with all the other LBs we got on this roster.
Striker is basically a Hybrid position for Nickel coverage, which means he would be a Safety that covers Wide outs or the flats depending on the coverage we call.

On Passing downs you could line him up in an outside position but have him dropping coverage, as a Blitzing DB or rotating in coverage when we're Zone. He won't strictly be a LB.

Advertisement
This basically means our defense is a bunch of interchangeable parts.
That's the whole point of the 4-2-5 scheme & why it's so effective in creating upfront pressure, but can also leave you open for big plays if you don't have athletic Safeties on the backend.

Jaquan Johnson has lead the team in Tackles the last 2 seasons & before that in 2016 it was Jamal Carter. Diaz's Defense is predicated on using the Safety as a multi-purpose Swiss Army knife, they can act as an extra LB in run support, a Blitzer to bring pressure, a Deep Centerfielder in rotating coverage over the top, or a Rover in Nickel that gets the INT's from disguised looks.

You guys do realize the striker position is more of a box safety than anything? This is actually the perfect position for a kid like this. I don’t think anyone believed he had the hips to be a boundary corner. This allows him to cover in short areas against TEs and backs, utilizing his size. Anything near the LOS is where this kid will thrive. Not on the boundary and not in centerfield.

Advertisement
Wow. I knew he wasn’t a CB but I thought safety all the way. Very interesting move here. So we got Finely, Smith and then Gil? I don’t see many reps being available for whoever is third on that depth chart with all the other LBs we got on this roster.
Striker pretty much is just a sub package..so yes it’s a “safety” in the box over the slot or a TE split out. We use it as a base look which I love to combat the spread looks..In simple terms it’s a nickel package. 5 DBS

Advertisement
Who wins the other outside cb spot is the question....Pulling for Blades JR.

If I had to bet I’d say it’s Ivey.

Ivey is exactly the kind of athlete that Rumph has proven he can develop. Not that he can’t develop Blades or Blades won’t contribute, but right now my money is on 2 and 8 playing the first snap against the lizards.

Advertisement
Could Finley possibly play safety like he did in 2016 & 2017? His role at SS would be full time instead of splitting reps with McCloud, Smith, and now Frierson. Bolden is an intriguing prospect but he hasn't played much and won't arrive until the summer. Carter has been okay but hasn't separated himself. Hall is a good prospect but did not flash much in limited action. Derrick Smith played safety against FIU. Maybe give him a look at FS?

DE Hill / Rousseau / Harvey
DT Nnoruka / Bethel / Blissett
DT Silvera / Ford / Miller
DE Garvin / Patchan / Joyner

LB McCloud / Wilder / Huff
LB Quarterman / Jennings
LB Pinckney / Steed / Brooks

ST D. Smith / Frierson

CB Bandy / Williams / Bethel
CB Ivey / Blades / Couch
SS Finley / Carter / K. Smith
FS Hall / Bolden / Knowles

This is my question. I think DSmith’s ideal position is striker. So what does this mean for smith and Carter?

I think Smith gets lost in the shuffle, at least for this year. With Hall, Bolden, Carter, Finley, and Frierson all in the mix, I don’t see where he’s gonna get primetime snaps.

Could Finley possibly play safety like he did in 2016 & 2017? His role at SS would be full time instead of splitting reps with McCloud, Smith, and now Frierson. Bolden is an intriguing prospect but he hasn't played much and won't arrive until the summer. Carter has been okay but hasn't separated himself. Hall is a good prospect but did not flash much in limited action. Derrick Smith played safety against FIU. Maybe give him a look at FS?

DE Hill / Rousseau / Harvey
DT Nnoruka / Bethel / Blissett
DT Silvera / Ford / Miller
DE Garvin / Patchan / Joyner

LB McCloud / Wilder / Huff
LB Quarterman / Jennings
LB Pinckney / Steed / Brooks

ST D. Smith / Frierson

CB Bandy / Williams / Bethel
CB Ivey / Blades / Couch
SS Finley / Carter / K. Smith
FS Hall / Bolden / Knowles

That secondary is not your best players on the field imo. Not with Bolden on the sideline.

Advertisement
Back