Gilbert Frierson says he's playing STRIKER this season

Really like the move to striker. His length, ball skills, and agility should bring a different skill-set than Finley.

Maybe we use both against specific groups of personnel.

I like those ....BUT I'm more liking his ability to knock people out

Last edited:
Advertisement
Smith a transfer candidate now?

Hope he stays. Always loved his athleticism. Could be one of those guys who take a couple years for it to click mentally.

Interesting. Don’t forget, Jaquan Johnson essentially played that striker position as a third safety his first year on the field, before we had the striker name for the position. He then parlayed that early playing experience into an AA safety career holding down the back end.

Could be Frierson’s future, or maybe his body will develop into a future NFL linebacker and he’ll stay at striker as long as he’s at UM. Will be fun to see how his career unfolds. Hope he is bought in, it sounds like he is.

Advertisement
I dont understand the move. Did one of Smith, Finley, or McCloud enter the portal?

Loved the physicality and size he brought at CB. He looked like a good punt returner too from his hs tape too.

Don’t like the move. He has great ball skills and knows what to do with the ball in his hands. He looks too me like a more talented Rayshawn Jenkins.

I think he needs to be at Safety all the way. He is a natural fit for the Minkah Fitzpatrick type role in a 4-2-5. A guy who can line up over a receiver or in space.

This drives me crazy.

Were finally starting to build depth, and guys are ready willing and ABLE to changes positions to HELP the team win.

But there is a split as to why this and why that. Let it play out!

If I recall, most of our championship teams had the superstars, but they also had the worker bees. The guys that filled in for the starters and balled out. You hardly noticed that the starter was on the bench. Unlike the last few years, every time a starter came out, we cringed because we knew that Knowles was coming in or some other replacement that was sub par.

I for one just want to sit back and enjoy the ride for a change.

I thought Carter was the perfect candidate for striker. He's strictly an "in the box" type safety from what I've seen.

Finley is entrenched as the starter there. He was very good against the run and much better against the pass than I thought he'd be. With Georgia Tech going away from the triple option, we need to dump third linebacker completely outside of short yardage and obvious run situations. There's a ton of versatility on this defense and you need that if you're going to succeed against today's offenses.

Advertisement
People keep talking about Derrick Smith but that guy regressed last year IMO. Seems like he mentally was shot after losing that Striker job to Finley after being the odds on favorite to get it. We need competition behind Finley and we need to groom the next Striker after he leaves because that position is vital to our Defense. So moving Frierson makes complete sense to create that competition.

Frierson didn't have the hips to play CB and wasn't going to unseat Bolden/Hall/Carter at safety. This is a no brainer and kudos to the staff.

Baker probably walked into the weight room and saw this 6'1 215lb specimen with arms down to his knees and said "Who the F is that???" Frierson definitely looks the part. Gotta get him on the field.

Smith a transfer candidate now?

Hope he stays. Always loved his athleticism. Could be one of those guys who take a couple years for it to click mentally.

Same here. Love Smith's athletic makeup. He's entering his 3rd year here so I'm guessing this spring is make or break for him to find a spot with lots of PT here.

People keep talking about Derrick Smith but that guy regressed last year IMO. Seems like he mentally was shot after losing that Striker job to Finley after being the odds on favorite to get it. We need competition behind Finley and we need to groom the next Striker after he leaves because that position is vital to our Defense. So moving Frierson makes complete sense to create that competition.

Frierson didn't have the hips to play CB and wasn't going to unseat Bolden/Hall/Carter at safety. This is a no brainer and kudos to the staff.

Baker probably walked into the weight room and saw this 6'1 215lb specimen with arms down to his knees and said "Who the F is that???" Frierson definitely looks the part. Gotta get him on the field.

He needs to get himself on the field. He has no one to blame but himself for not playing last year. Hopefully he's got his head on straight this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We'd only have 5 corners left. Ivey, bandy, bethel, couch, and williams. Maybe smith comes back to corner, but I think coach baker has the personnel to run legit nickel and dime packages in addition to the 4-2-5 striker alignment. Should be fun seeing how all these chess pieces are moved around going forward.
You forgot little homey Nigel Bethel

Advertisement
Back