Gilbert Frierson lack of playtime

Advertisement
As far as size and athleticism, I don’t see how Keontra can be an LB, but Gil can’t.
Keontra played lb the whole time in high school while Gil was a safety/corner. One can mix it up a lil bit the other doesnt or wouldnt know how to read keys and strike from the lb position. Which is why i lol every time folks say put JAMES at lb...he wont be that good there as he doesnt like to mix it up with lineman and that fast action closer to the line aint him.

It really is a mystery but I guess it's because they can't find a position for him, now I see why we're trying to recruit 4 backers this cycle
I just wish they'd play more of a hybrid defensive scheme with smaller, but faster players at LB. You can just rotate more of the smaller faster guys at LB so they don't get worn out. It solves pass coverage and makes us quicker to the ball in the run game.

I think Frierson would erase a lot of issues. He's just a guy you want on the field.

I just wish they'd play more of a hybrid defensive scheme with smaller, but faster players at LB. You can just rotate more of the smaller faster guys at LB so they don't get worn out. It solves pass coverage and makes us quicker to the ball in the run game.

I think Frierson would erase a lot of issues. He's just a guy you want on the field.
He isn’t a LB. He doesn’t get off blocks well and he isn’t a great tackler

I believe the biggest reason is he has no position. He’s way too small for lb unless it’s on third and longs. He’s too slow and stiff to be playing Couch’s spot. There’s some other things that could have something to do with it but being positionless is the obvious choice.
Always thankful for clear thoughts & great insight. Like the player & thought he was excellent as striker under the old regime, but the position has significantly changed & requires pure cover skills. So, where do you play him? Who's job does he take? Questions may be a clue to low snap numbers.

Advertisement
I believe the biggest reason is he has no position. He’s way too small for lb unless it’s on third and longs. He’s too slow and stiff to be playing Couch’s spot. There’s some other things that could have something to do with it but being positionless is the obvious choice.
Coaches with any intelligence across CFB and the NFL find roles for guys exactly like him. Only thing I can figure is something we don’t know about is going on and this is a culture benching / dog house.

We no longer have a "Striker". I guess he can have a few more snaps but i dont know where he would actually be with that or whos taking out?.

I like his game a bit and he can blitz a bit..take Couch out i guess
I haven’t rewatched any of our games because they sucked the first time through, but I recall seeing 4-3 personal against 4 WR sets. I could see Gilbert in zone concepts against 4 WRs or as a big nickle who matches up with bigger targets like split out TEs or slot guys who don’t deal well with physical coverage / redirection.

I haven’t rewatched any of our games because they sucked the first time through, but I recall seeing 4-3 personal against 4 WR sets. I could see Gilbert in zone concepts against 4 WRs or as a big nickle who matches up with bigger targets like split out TEs or slot guys who don’t deal well with physical coverage / redirection.
You might wanna watch because I haven’t seen 4-3 vs 4 WRs since manny in 2018 lol

Advertisement
Coaches with any intelligence across CFB and the NFL find roles for guys exactly like him. Only thing I can figure is something we don’t know about is going on and this is a culture benching / dog house.
“Some other things “ was for a reason lol. Tbh he left a bad taste in my mouth last year with some of the issues in camp and how he played during the year. He definitely regressed last season. There’s a reason A Carter won the job.

they don't care.
That play at the end of the UNC game is the epitome of his game. He single handedly got the ball back for the offense with a chance to win. Everyone else was blocked or misdiagnosed the qb keeping it. He sniffed it out. If he doesn’t make that play it’s game over.

I‘m not even the biggest 11 guy but he’s played some good ball this year and deserves the starting job. Fans see one bad angle or a rb beat him on a route and they lose it. While ignoring all his good plays. I imagine most fans didn’t even notice the play i‘m referencing.

He does a lot more positive than negative but the bad is highlighted ten fold. He’ll never be a Morgan or Lewis but he’s solid.

Last edited:
“Some other things “ was for a reason lol. Tbh he left a bad taste in my mouth last year with some of the issues in camp and how he played during the year. He definitely regressed last season. There’s a reason A Carter won the job.
Was the showing up overweight part of that?

Advertisement
Keontra played lb the whole time in high school while Gil was a safety/corner. One can mix it up a lil bit the other doesnt or wouldnt know how to read keys and strike from the lb position. Which is why i lol every time folks say put JAMES at lb...he wont be that good there as he doesnt like to mix it up with lineman and that fast action closer to the line aint him.
I mentioned this other day. He likes hitting wr’s but mixing it up with OL , te’s and rb’s every play is a different world. There’s lots of trash to deal with down there lol.

That play at the end of the UNC game is the epitome of his game. He single handedly got the ball back for the offense with a chance to win. Everyone else was blocked or misdiagnosed the qb keeping it. He sniffed it out. If he doesn’t make that play it’s game over.

I‘m not even the biggest 11 guy but he’s played some good ball this year and deserves the starting job. Fans see one bad angle or a rb beat him on a route and they lose it. While ignoring all his good plays. I imagine most fans didn’t even notice the play i‘m referencing.

He does a lot more positive than negative but the bad is highlighted ten fold. He’ll never be a Morgan or Lewis but he’s solid.
Objective analysis. Rare to see on CIS.

Advertisement
I didnt check the accuracy of this but one of the podcasts said he is the leading tackler on the team by a very very wide margin

Gil is just one of those players we will never know what happened to. It seems like at one point 2 years ago he would be the best player on this D..and it seems like is a playmaker. But we cant find anything to do with him. Seems like hes a casualty of the lost "Striker" position.

Anyone dogging Flagg after how he played last game is just hating at this point. That one on one tackle he made in open space alone should have got people off his back for at least this week. NOBODY would have thought he could bring down Drake Maye in the open field one on one if we are talking athlete for athlete. NOBODY. Leave the kid alone for a week.

What’s funny is I was told by somebody I trust more than about anyone on this stuff ” to not expect a lot of GF this year“. The comment shocked me because 90 % of the info he gives is dead on. It was confusing because everything on the outside seemed like GF was setup to have a big part in the defense. I get he’s kinda positionless but I figured he’d get more pt. Even if it’s only on pass downs.

what one of my coaches used to call a "three way tweener."

typical tweeners are caught in the middle of two positions: e.g., too small for DT, not twitchy enough for DE

a three way tweener looks like he could be any one of three spots, but misses the mark on all of them: e.g., too stiff for corner, too limited in range for safety, too frail for LB.

GF hits the trifecta, unfortunately

Gil is just one of those players we will never know what happened to. It seems like at one point 2 years ago he would be the best player on this D..and it seems like is a playmaker. But we cant find anything to do with him. Seems like hes a casualty of the lost "Striker" position.

Anyone dogging Flagg after how he played last game is just hating at this point. That one on one tackle he made in open space alone should have got people off his back for at least this week. NOBODY would have thought he could bring down Drake Maye in the open field one on one if we are talking athlete for athlete. NOBODY. Leave the kid alone for a week.
Great play by Flagg. Just curious, who else on the D takes down Maye in space like that?

Advertisement
Back