Gilbert Frierson Commits to Canes

Welcome to the :neonu:!!!
kid-so-excited-birthday-party.gif

giphy.gif

Untitled-31.gif

tumblr_n8i9f67FfY1smjc75o4_250.gif

Advertisement
I think it's closer to 25 years for Kuligowski - ever since he graduated from Toledo around '91 or so....

Why is Kuligowski getting a pass and not Rumph considering Rumph has done more since joining the staff?

What a dumb comparison.

One has been coaching college football for over a decade with great success, and he has one of the strongest track records of any position coach in college football the past 5 years. The other is a first time college coach who is an unknown in his coaching abilities and was thought to be a strong recruiter, but to this point, hasn't even been able to get interest from kids he coached 2 months ago.

I'm not on the **** Rumph wagon yet, but to compare those two is just ignorant.

Why is Kuligowski getting a pass and not Rumph considering Rumph has done more since joining the staff?

Huh rumph was high school coach. Not sureif serious that **** is suppose to go hand and hand. Should be in the fine print of his contract like john harbaugh did

Advertisement

Rumph was brought in strictly to recruit and Kul to coach and develop. big difference.

Rumph was brought in to coach and recruit just like every coach on the staff. You don't bring in a guy just to recruit at a important spot like corner.

You put recruiters at rb or te coach.

What a dumb comparison.

One has been coaching college football for over a decade with great success, and he has one of the strongest track records of any position coach in college football the past 5 years. The other is a first time college coach who is an unknown in his coaching abilities and was thought to be a strong recruiter, but to this point, hasn't even been able to get interest from kids he coached 2 months ago.

Wrong. Slaton, marco, houston, bryan, and herbet all played for rumph and according to 247 all are listed as having warm interest in miami now.

The 2018 CBs whose fathers played in the league (Blades Jr., Surtain Jr., and Samuel Jr.) get talked about a ton, but Tyson Campbell may be the best of the bunch among the currently uncommitted corners from our backyard in that class. And he's from American Heritage.

Make it happen, Rumph.

Advertisement
For the millionth time...

Coaches recruit based on region, not position. Just cause Rumph coaches CB's doesn't mean he recruits every CB we're going after.
Don't go ruining this discussion with facts

Henderson mentioned Rumph specifically. And Rumph is Frierson's main recruiter.

He's not talking this specifically. Every DB that we missed and landed has been attached to Rumph is what he means.

What a dumb comparison.

Wrong. Slaton, marco, houston, bryan, and herbet all played for rumph and according to 247 all are listed as having warm interest in miami now.

1. I was more referring to 2016 kids.

2. Who says they're considering Miami now that Rumph is here and they weren't considering us before. Or that Rumph is the staff member that is recruiting them hardest or has them interested.

The 2018 CBs whose fathers played in the league (Blades Jr., Surtain Jr., and Samuel Jr.) get talked about a ton, but Tyson Campbell may be the best of the bunch among the currently uncommitted corners from our backyard in that class. And he's from American Heritage.

Make it happen, Rumph.

I actually like Campbell over Surtain Jr.

Advertisement

Make it happen, Rumph.

Agreed bruh. Campbell doesn't get the hype that the Jr.'s do but he's just as good, maybe better. Kid was under wraps while the other guys were getting recruiting exposure as 9th graders but once his mid-season highlights went out, the P5 offers came rolling in. Watch 'em, some of your favorite 2016 signees like Bin Victor and Josh Hammond make guest appearances on there getting shut down & manhandled. He's the fastest man on Heritage's roster, Surtain Jr. included, and at 6'3" 185, he's bigger than those dudes as well. The relationship between Campbell and Rumph has already been built. Rumph had been his coach since his early optimist days, let alone their time together at AH. Recruiters and coaches from every P5 team nationwide will be breaking their necks over the next 2 years to establish with Tyson something that Rumph already with him before he got to high school. Now the decision will wholly be Tyson's and I'm no mindreader, but barring a total on-field catastrophe, I don't see how any team closes that gap relationship wise.

Coaches recruit based on region, not position. Just cause Rumph coaches CB's doesn't mean he recruits every CB we're going after.

Yes, we used to recruit based on areas, but I haven't seen any confirmation one way or another under this staff saying that still holds true. Perhaps things have changed.

Even if a recruits primary recruiter isn't their position coach, there would still be plenty of contact between a recruit and their position coach.

Rumph's position is getting plenty of hardware to work with. Those with an agenda won't acknowledge that though.

I'm not going to question what Kug's has done since he's gotten here, but when the animosity by some for Rumph in comparison to the love for Kug's considering their body of work since arriving, it does make one go hmmm. Yes, one has a good resume at this level and the other doesn't, but this is a results driven business. It isn't what you did somewhere else, but what have you done for me, in this case lately. In short, Rumph shouldn't be questioned at this point recruiting wise. IMO, nobody should this early in

Yes, we used to recruit based on areas, but I haven't seen any confirmation one way or another under this staff saying that still holds true. Perhaps things have changed.

Even if a recruits primary recruiter isn't their position coach, there would still be plenty of contact between a recruit and their position coach.

Rumph's position is getting plenty of hardware to work with. Those with an agenda won't acknowledge that though.

I'm not going to question what Kug's has done since he's gotten here, but when the animosity by some for Rumph in comparison to the love for Kug's considering their body of work since arriving, it does make one go hmmm. Yes, one has a good resume at this level and the other doesn't, but this is a results driven business. It isn't what you did somewhere else, but what have you done for me, in this case lately. In short, Rumph shouldn't be questioned at this point recruiting wise. IMO, nobody should this early in
I think there's some history with our fanbase since we were never able to do much good when Rumph was head coaching.

But then again, this is our fanbase. People were throwing tantrums when Banda was hired because no one had ever heard of him.

If Richt wants Rumph on his staff then I'm willing to give him time. We hopefully have years of building and recruiting in front of us.

Advertisement

Agree but he's not going to recruit a kid who doesn't fit what he wants at CB period. Gilbert frierson is one of those kids who will be wanted by everyone so I'm sure rumph was after him alot

It doesn't matter what Rumph wants at CB, it's what the DC wants.

You actually think individual coaches determine what kind of kid they recruit?

Last edited:

Agree but he's not going to recruit a kid who doesn't fit what he wants at CB period. Gilbert frierson is one of those kids who will be wanted by everyone so I'm sure rumph was after him alot

I know for sure they have input.... Are you really going to tell me they don't because they definitely do...

I know for sure they have input.... Are you really going to tell me they don't because they definitely do...

Yes, I'm really going to tell you that a 1st time college position coach has zero say in what type of CB a experienced college DC recruits.

A DC is not going to recruit a kid that doesn't fit his system and/or make his defense look good just because of what a position coach says. Now if the position coach and the DC have a longtime relationship and have been working with each other for a while then the position coach may have some more input. However, if that was the case then they most likely see eye-to-eye on players anyway cause they've been working together for so long.

Rumph can't recruit a lick. He better be able to coach thee kids up.

Yet we have landed 3 talented kids at his position since he has been here....

You've finally let go of Golden and have now attached to Rumph... Makes sense

Did Rumph do something to you or your family? I don't understand the hatred. We act like he's been here for decades and continues to underperform. At least give him one full season before you start sh*tt*ng on him. FFS, some of you people need to get laid.

I dont hate Rumph, actually the exact opposite. I've met him and he seems like a real nice down to earth dude. But, he has zero experience coaching in college or in the NFL and the sole value he brings to this staff is his influence amongst elite local recruits. Although he had a stronger relationship with Burns last year than any college coach in the nation, he couldn't even get the kid to consider us. And now we're hearing that we're not even in the top 5 for AH's top prospect(Slaton) this year....

Yet, Banda, that has zero local relationships is already outperforming him...

I like Rumph and hope he gets it going, but i don't care about liking a coach, i want him to be great at his job.

Advertisement
Back