Gerald Willis

one has to speculate it could be grades. IF he failed to reach a GPA target for an out-of-season semester (i.e. spring, summer A, etc...) he would be ineligible for the season, I am pretty sure. I know out of season GPA req is in the 2s... 2.3 or higher maybe. In season was 1.9 the last time I saw compliance docs many yrs ago. Not sure if Miami's reqs are same as NCAA standard but that should apply for NCAA...

If it were grades they'd just say he's academically ineligible, not report it as a leave of absence

Advertisement
Numbers are dwindling 2 dt's from our 2 deep gone

What other DT did we lose? Courtel?

Just those 2 but yeah

So we have
Norton
Mcintosh
Moten
Bethel
Ford
Martin

Is Ryan Fines still at DT? Serious question, as I remember there was some rumor a few months ago that he was moving to guard (but he's still listed as a DT). Bottom of the depth chart either way, but at least he's a large body...

What about Tyreic Martin? That's the only guy Kool chose to bring over from Mizzou when he was hired IIRC. Haven't heard anything about his progress. Must still be a year away from contributing.

Martin has more size than some of the DEs that might slide inside to DT. Does he have any athleticism? He might not be starter material, but can he fill in when called upon? A three-star from Alabama, he can't be all bad. If Kool brought him over from Mizzou, there must be some potential.

Posters beginning to panic. End of our season. Maybe we should forfeit all the games this season and hope 2018 season will be kinder to us. Too many posters here over react at every little bit of information about the team.

You know the difference between a good teym and a great team? It's called depth, Einstein.

We are suddenly thin at DTackle after the losses of Courtel Jenkins and Gerald Willis. RB Position took a hit by the losses of Gus Edwards and Joe Yearby as well. This could easily make a difference in the win and loss columns this year.

We aren't thin at dt, stop with that nonsense

Norton
Mcintosh
Moten
Bethel
Ford
You know how many teams would love to have that at dt

After norton and mcintosh all i see is names. Depth isnt bodies but guys that can actually contribute.
Moten may get a solid look from an NFL team. He's not just a body. Bethel has almost the exact projected style of Willis. Even as a True Frosh DE getting limited burn, he showed he moves well. He's supposedly put on weight and looked solid during Spring. He is not just a "body." Ford is a great prospect, but merely a True Frosh. Unless unique, I don't count on TF DTs.
Agree

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] whats the inside scoop on why Willis is taking a leave of absence?

My money is on weed. I don't recall Richt (or any other coach for that matter) kicking a player off for one or two failed drug tests (weed specifically) and I believe it is an internal issue that doesn't have to be reported. Wasn't that what came out about Honey Badger at LSU? He failed something like 6 drug tests so they dismissed him for "violation of team rules" but he thought about returning. Would be shocked if this isn't the same deal. Richt said take a leave of absence and lay off the grass and you can come back if you do that.

Richt has high attrition rates but if he kicked players off for one failed drug test he wouldn't have a team left. He also cares about these kids and will try to make it right. Given his past history, Willis is likely out of good options and having to sit out a year without a team structure around him while transferring would probably erase any hope he had of making it to the league.

Advertisement
Not to speculate, but what if it isn't disciplinary but rather something going on in his life that he can't focus on football? Maybe family trouble or personal health.

First somewhat Quality player. Every other player that has left needed to leave. Including maybe 5 more. I take it back. Gus kind sucked too.

Depth has taken a hit though.

Allison
Edwards
Yearby
Haskins
Odogwu
Knighton
Jenkins
Willis
Wright
James
Henley

That's a lot of departures in one offseason.

According to your non playing football *** this is normal.

We've trimmed some of the fat but we've also lost several contributors.

It's been a pretty horrible offseason here.

Best of luck to Willis, still part of the family. Whatever the situation is i hope it can get resolved and he can come back focused for 18 to help us for the natty

Advertisement
Best of luck to Willis, still part of the family. Whatever the situation is i hope it can get resolved and he can come back focused for 18 to help us for the natty

He will never play another down for Miami.

Although I think you may be right, until we know for sure, lets just hope this kid can come back and be a contributor next year.

He will be like 24 years old. It's time for him to try to play CFL or something and make some money unless he stays somehow for a degree.

Suspended for FAMU, West Virginia. Wanted to leave for the NFL Draft after the season.

Writing has been on the wall. Wish we had pursued a grad transfer DT.

Advertisement
Just throwing this out there:

Tre Johnson recorded over 60 career total tackles and over 40 career solo tackles in just 16 career varsity games.

Advertisement
Back