Georgia Tech Film Study

Advertisement
Always key to come out strong on offense early in the game and make them get out of their offense as much as you can.

The key is shutting down the dive play. We have the monsters inside to make that happen.

The ball-control-at-all-costs aspect of playing Georgia Tech and that whiny stick in the mud coach of theirs always worries me. We need to get at least a couple 3-and-outs to mitigate that. If we don't, and our offense takes a half off as it sometimes does, we could lose. Tackles for loss will be of paramount importance....if we don't get those and force them into 4th and long, Johnson will just go for it every 4th and 3 and end up converting about 75% of them, adding to the annoying ball control nightmare that is playing Georgia Tech.

Advertisement
we have been getting gashed up the middle, if we can't stop the dive play, we're not looking good.

Our LBs better get their **** together.

And I'm just thinking about the 3 starters. Goes without saying that our backups will have their hands full when they're in, no question. Miss an assignment and GTs backs break off big chunk plays...which we've been giving up all season.

It's a great offense. It's not as **** as the spread-em-out, fun and gun offenses that are so popular today, but the triple option is a fantastic college offense.

If there were any team in major college football running this offense today with halfway decent athletes, they would be blowing teams out left and right.

There's a reason teams used to run this stuff a lot more
- because it WORKS.

There's also a reason why colleges abandoned the option. Just ask Jimmy Johnson.

It's a great offense. It's not as **** as the spread-em-out, fun and gun offenses that are so popular today, but the triple option is a fantastic college offense.

If there were any team in major college football running this offense today with halfway decent athletes, they would be blowing teams out left and right.

There's a reason teams used to run this stuff a lot more - because it WORKS.

Wrong. It only works against lesser talent. Miami destroyed the Nebraskas and Okalahomas of the world who used to run this crap.

Miami destroyed everyone at one point. They beat Oklahoma... they also beat Florida State. What does that prove?

Football is cyclical. There's nothing new under the sun. As teams get better at defending against the modern pass-happy offenses, option football teams are going to become more and more successful.

By the way, teams such as Auburn, Ohio State, and Clemson include option concepts in their offenses. They just don't call it "the option" because doing so would make it harder to recruit.

The option absolutely, 100% WORKS.

Advertisement
Honestly I'm pretty happy with this matchup. Could be much worse like playing Syracuse, VT, or any team that can throw with the miscommunication and coverage issues we had with Knowles in the secondary and assuming we could be without Redwine.

Diaz, Richt, and everyone on our D has seen enough of GT to be prepared. Just preach patience, gap accountability, and tackling and we won't have any problems.

Also, don't look at their defensive numbers and assume they are stout.. obviously they are going to be ranked that way based off time of possession. They give up chunk plays and they are vulnerable on the backend.

They have a tough athletic defense. I don't know what their numbers are, but I've watched them play 3 times this year. And they're good.

We've lost poked like guttersnipes trying to stop the option the 2 or 3 times Toledo and Puke ran it on us, and those QBs are far from proficient at running it.

We will have our hands full especially if we continue to be so undisciplined in our assignments. That fat old lady looking bytch Paul Johnson is licking his ghey chops looking at our players overpursuing and running themselves out of plays.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with this matchup. Could be much worse like playing Syracuse, VT, or any team that can throw with the miscommunication and coverage issues we had with Knowles in the secondary and assuming we could be without Redwine.

Diaz, Richt, and everyone on our D has seen enough of GT to be prepared. Just preach patience, gap accountability, and tackling and we won't have any problems.

Also, don't look at their defensive numbers and assume they are stout.. obviously they are going to be ranked that way based off time of possession. They give up chunk plays and they are vulnerable on the backend.

They have a tough athletic defense. I don't know what their numbers are, but I've watched them play 3 times this year. And they're good.

They're pretty highly rated in total D and then turns out their actually right behind us in yards per play on D.. 4.6 ypp vs 4.7 ypp. I watched them against Tennessee and briefly against UNC and wasn't too impressed but the numbers are better than I thought and not just because of time of possession.

We're in for a dogfight but I like the odds of bouncing back vs a team that is one dimensional than a team that would be able test our **** poor safeties

But you're right we have to get back to what made the defense effective last year. Disciplined play, tackling, and avoid over-pursuing the play. Our LBs (the SAM every time no matter who is playing) get sucked into the trenches every time there is an option or play action and they never set the edge. Then the play bounces outside for a big gain or they get sucked in and caught up in a block that never should have got to them and the plays breaks for 20 when it should only be 5

Last edited:
Advertisement
Georgia Tech actually played right into Manny Diaz's hands. I know everyone says gap discipline beats the option, and while that's true, the way you beat Georgia Tech is TFL's. They are averaging about 80 yards passing per game. 2nd and 13 or 3rd and 11 are drive killers for a team like them. They can pass the ball occasionally on 2nd and 1 when everybody is expecting another run, but on 3rd and 11, they're complete ****.

The problem with GT is that you can think you're dominating them and you look up, and because of their stupid offense, you're winning 14-7 in the 3rd quarter.

What was it? The 2014 game where it seemed like we only had about 4 possessions all game? God that sucked.

They should have been called on high/low chop blocks pretty much on every play! Especially inside against the 1 technique. Dirty ********
They always block to the lower body. In a lot of instances they hide their chops and get away with it. A dirty, gimmick offense.

Advertisement
The problem with GT is that you can think you're dominating them and you look up, and because of their stupid offense, you're winning 14-7 in the 3rd quarter.

What was it? The 2014 game where it seemed like we only had about 4 possessions all game? God that sucked.

Ya 2014. We had 6 possessions all game. Kaaya threw 2 picks in GTs red zone. GT had zero turnovers.

The key is shutting down the dive play. We have the monsters inside to make that happen.

SIMPLE rules: shut the dive (first option), make the QB pitch the ball, stay disciplined with the defensive assignments. Our DL will create penetration and that WRECKS the option play.

Georgia Tech actually played right into Manny Diaz's hands. I know everyone says gap discipline beats the option, and while that's true, the way you beat Georgia Tech is TFL's. They are averaging about 80 yards passing per game. 2nd and 13 or 3rd and 11 are drive killers for a team like them. They can pass the ball occasionally on 2nd and 1 when everybody is expecting another run, but on 3rd and 11, they're complete ****.

Half right. TFL are key but they need to be caused by a disruptive DL. Yeah, the option does not work very well when they face 2 and long or third and long. They fall behind and you have their out of their game.

Advertisement
Back