Georgia Tech Film Study

Advertisement
For those that worry too much about GT...don’t. We really match up well offensively vs their defense. They have played four bad teams and have not seen anything close to our offensive skill set. GT has problems defending the quick WR screens to either side...they also have problems defending the screen to the RBs.

Offensively...they put the ball on the ground quite a bit even against slow defenses that do not cause much penetration. GT’s OL might be great at cutting DL on their quick hitters but they cannot pass block to save their lives. I mean that our DL should feast on any obvious passing situations.

This is actually GT’s first road game of the year. The played Tennessee at a neutral site and followed that by three homes games vs terrible teams with minimal talent.

CMR owns Paul Johnson and we an expect that trend to continue on Saturday. It will not be a blow out but we win by 10-14 points.

Bump! So this offense worries you all to death!

So since our linebackers are the worst in the ACC we should get blown out? Pure sarcasm, no it will not be a cake walk, but an opportunity for us to get better.

You still here? I thought the board was mush and everyone was a softass ***** as you put it? That was after declaring you weren't watching any more Canes games this season. You're what makes the interweb so great. Keep it up.

Go Canes!

Yup! I changed my mind! I missed it after a few weeks. Got a problem then meat me somewhere.

Hahahahahaha. Did I trigger you?

Go Canes!

GT's best opportunity of beating the Canes was last year, with freshmen LBs and an offensive lead by their 3-year starting QB. Our front 7 has experience and our CBs can cover with man. Our only concern is safeties making clean tackles! As for our offensive, Rosier will run too, and RBs, TEs, and WRs will have explosive plays...GT plays off WRs and Safeties are deep too. Canes too nasty at DL and DE for GT to control the ball. 41-21 Canes!

Their quarterback is shifty as ****. If we don't play assignment football, we could be in big trouble. In order to beat Georgia Tech, a few other things are necessary, in my opinion:

First, don't let them control the clock. The more our defense gets tired, and the less our offense stays on the field, the less chance we have to win.

Second, create turnovers or get 3-and-outs; then, capitalize by putting points on the board. If you can get a few scores ahead of Georgia Tech, it throws their offense into a rut because they have to change their philosophy to catch up on the scoreboard.

Third, establish the run game early on. Georgia Tech actually has a decent secondary this year, so it is imperative that we get Homer going early on. This not only controls the clock in our favor but also opens up the playbook when they start selling out on the run.

Advertisement
Their quarterback is shifty as ****. If we don't play assignment football, we could be in big trouble. In order to beat Georgia Tech, a few other things are necessary, in my opinion:

First, don't let them control the clock. The more our defense gets tired, and the less our offense stays on the field, the less chance we have to win.

Second, create turnovers or get 3-and-outs; then, capitalize by putting points on the board. If you can get a few scores ahead of Georgia Tech, it throws their offense into a rut because they have to change their philosophy to catch up on the scoreboard.

Third, establish the run game early on. Georgia Tech actually has a decent secondary this year, so it is imperative that we get Homer going early on. This not only controls the clock in our favor but also opens up the playbook when they start selling out on the run.

We're not going to control the clock, we never do. We literally never win TOP and GT is a TOP team. Like every year, it won't matter.

We're not going to control the clock, we never do. We literally never win TOP and GT is a TOP team. Like every year, it won't matter.

I should have rephrased my post. I don't think it's necessary to do everything I outlined above to win, but checking off some of those boxes will ensure a win. Bottomline: we need to throw them off their game. I'm not expecting us to have more time of possession; however, if we can limit their offense, then we will be in a good position to run away with this game.

Yes, this is their first away game....Hard Rock will be rocking & LOUD...Can't wait. GO CANES!

For those that worry too much about GT...don’t. We really match up well offensively vs their defense. They have played four bad teams and have not seen anything close to our offensive skill set. GT has problems defending the quick WR screens to either side...they also have problems defending the screen to the RBs.

Offensively...they put the ball on the ground quite a bit even against slow defenses that do not cause much penetration. GT’s OL might be great at cutting DL on their quick hitters but they cannot pass block to save their lives. I mean that our DL should feast on any obvious passing situations.

This is actually GT’s first road game of the year. The played Tennessee at a neutral site and followed that by three homes games vs terrible teams with minimal talent.

CMR owns Paul Johnson and we an expect that trend to continue on Saturday. It will not be a blow out but we win by 10-14 points.

Yes, this is their first away game....Hard Rock will be rocking & LOUD...Can't wait. GO CANES!

We need a big crowd on Saturday. We want to make the first away start for Marshall a memorable one.

Advertisement
Three key advanced metrics on GT's running attack:

5th in the country in rushing success rate. Which is obvious elite.
56th in the country in IsoPPP rate, which means how explosive were you on successful runs. Which is bad.
13th in finishing drive rate, which is also very good to elite.

What this means is GT isn't capable of beating you with big plays. They have to 4 and 5 yard their way down the field. Which is exactly what Diaz's defense wants you to do. He wants to limit big plays, force you to dink and dunk down field, and gamble on his aggressive havoc forcing a turnover or big tackle for loss, making the dink and dunk offense a failure.
There's two ways to look at that:

1. GT's offense is tailor made for Diaz, so we should be able to get the drive killing big plays on defense that come with long drives.
2. Diaz is tailor made for GT. Since they are SO successful at the dink and dunk this year, and SO good at scoring after they get past the other's team's 40 yard line, a defense that concedes the easy stuff is in for a long day.

Advertisement
Back