Gattis Discusses RPO Game

I'm more excited to see how Gattis evolves away from some of the Harbaugh influence. I have watched just about every Michigan game from last year and there are drives where they are rolling then randomly jump into some 22 personnel stuff or 2 fullbacks enter the game. Gotta think that was Harbaugh adding his influence. Gattis seems to be with the times and running most of this offense out of the gun.
I've watched a lot of their offense on Youtube over the last couple months and there's stuff like that happening in almost every game. I REALLY hope that's Harbaugh trying to play 1980's offensive coordinator. The other thing that got me concerned was the Rutgers game. They kept running into a loaded box over and over with minimal results. They won the game 20-13 but how can you justify running the ball 38 times at 2.9 ypc while only attempting 16 passes? Rutgers was literally daring them to throw the ball downfield and they just kept trying to force the run. They went almost the entire second half without getting a single first down.

Advertisement
It is interesting to see the changes to super heavy run last season. Don’t think they trusted Cade McNamara very much to open it up and went with their strength.

It was much more balanced in his 1st two seasons there. 2019 Shae Patterson threw for over 3,000 yards. There are a lot of similarities to what Alabama ran in 2018, but without the same level of talent.

I’m excited to see a lot of his concepts with our players. Getting the ball in space to some of our more explosive players will be fun to watch. Also the varied run schemes should allow us to hit some home runs.

I'm more excited to see how Gattis evolves away from some of the Harbaugh influence. I have watched just about every Michigan game from last year and there are drives where they are rolling then randomly jump into some 22 personnel stuff or 2 fullbacks enter the game. Gotta think that was Harbaugh adding his influence. Gattis seems to be with the times and running most of this offense out of the gun.
Some would say Mario and Harbaugh have similar philosophies and influence on their OCs

Because Miami averaged 34 points per game last year. Nobody on offense last year got drafted either. Why would you accept the offense getting worse? Aren’t our standards supposed to be higher than they were under Manny?

Our offense last year put a lot of pressure on our defense. We put up 34 points per game, but often we didn't give our defense a chance to rest or regroup. We scored plenty, but sometimes at the cost of what we gave up, even outside of our DC baboonery. Did you know our opponents cumulatively had the ball for over an hour more than our offense did last season? In fact, our opponents had the ball almost 20% more than we did. And that was with us running MORE plays than our opponents.

The spread between what your offense scores and defense gives up is the most telling metric IMO. I don't think you can just compare two different offenses solely by points scored. Scoring is great, but scoring more points than your opponent is a bit more important. :).

Advertisement
Unless you have specific examples I would disagree with this.
The offense with Herbert was pretty bad, then the moorehead and gattis hires kinda proves the style of offense Mario likes. Oregon fans say similar things about Mario that Michigan fans say about Harbaugh

Our offense last year put a lot of pressure on our defense. We put up 34 points per game, but often we didn't give our defense a chance to rest or regroup. We scored plenty, but sometimes at the cost of what we gave up, even outside of our DC baboonery. Did you know our opponents cumulatively had the ball for over an hour more than our offense did last season? In fact, our opponents had the ball almost 20% more than we did. And that was with us running MORE plays than our opponents.

The spread between what your offense scores and defense gives up is the most telling metric IMO. I don't think you can just compare two different offenses solely by points scored. Scoring is great, but scoring more points than your opponent is a bit more important. :).
How about the defense actually stops someone and then they can get off the field and rest? I just don't see how it's the offense's job to score slower so the defense can get more rest. Especially when moving at a fast pace makes a big difference in how efficient your offense is. Handcuffing the good part of your team to compensate for the weak part of your team doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Our defenses' struggles weren't a biproduct of having a fast offense either. If you look at per play metrics, they were still terrible.

Last edited:
The offense with Herbert was pretty bad, then the moorehead and gattis hires kinda proves the style of offense Mario likes. Oregon fans say similar things about Mario that Michigan fans say about Harbaugh
I think we are talking about slightly different things here. I am talking about specific things that Harbaugh did at stanford showing up in an offense that is more evolved at this point.

I feel like saying the offense was "pretty bad" is stretching it a bit, no?

In 2019, Oregon was:

16th in scoring at 35.8 ppg
26th in yards/play at 6.34

And Herbert's stat line was far from being a poor one.,

3,471 yards, 66.8%, 32 td, 6 int, 8.1 yds/att

If you want to say he wasn't maximized under Arroyo, I can understand that sentiment, but their offense still put up solid numbers despite being year 1 in a new system and Oregon lacking any true receiving threats that year.

There are reasons to be concerned with Cristobal and Gattis on the offensive side of things, but I do believe Herbert's senior year is often exaggerated, and so is his supposed, lack of development. The guy was clearly NFL ready his rookie season. Does Oregon not receive credit for that, or are we going to say that his coaching he received leading up to the draft and then with the Chargers is what got him ready for the NFL in such a short period?

Advertisement
I feel like saying the offense was "pretty bad" is stretching it a bit, no?

In 2019, Oregon was:

16th in scoring at 35.8 ppg
26th in yards/play at 6.34

And Herbert's stat line was far from being a poor one.,

3,471 yards, 66.8%, 32 td, 6 int, 8.1 yds/att

If you want to say he wasn't maximized under Arroyo, I can understand that sentiment, but their offense still put up solid numbers despite being year 1 in a new system and Oregon lacking any true receiving threats that year.

There are reasons to be concerned with Cristobal and Gattis on the offensive side of things, but I do believe Herbert's senior year is often exaggerated, and so is his supposed, lack of development. The guy was clearly NFL ready his rookie season. Does Oregon not receive credit for that, or are we going to say that his coaching he received leading up to the draft and then with the Chargers is what got him ready for the NFL in such a short period?
Im not a numbers guy when talking about how good a unit was but watching those games you’ll see that offense was terrible especially for a QB like herbert, maybe not maximizing him is a better way to say it lol but yea…And i don’t think many people has said he wasn’t developed

I'm afraid that could happen to miami. mc is former olineman they wanna pound n ground if u are paying 8 mill n he don't like what he sees with the o it could go to ground n pound! hope not! but he's paying gattis alot of money also. idk

take listen to menace 2 sports podcast talk about gattis. I don't like zack Smith at all after what happened with wife. but the gots good content.

Advertisement
I'm afraid that could happen to miami. mc is former olineman they wanna pound n ground if u are paying 8 mill n he don't like what he sees with the o it could go to ground n pound! hope not! but he's paying gattis alot of money also. idk
That has nothing to do with anything. Mario wants to run the ball but he never called plays. Harbaugh did.

I like Gattis. I think he’s a very creative play caller when it comes to running the rock. At Michigan he didn’t have any confidence in his QB room. But coming to Miami with TVD I think he knows he has something special and will try to get him drafted in the first round. With that being said though, we don’t have any Wide Receivers that can go in the league and produce on day one so keep that in mind. GO CANES.
Colbie Young is gonna feast. I expect that boy to be catching bombs.

Advertisement
What's the point of having a offense that gets stonewalling against any decent team. Lashlee offense, stone walled against Clemson and Bama. Not only that, inability to run against teams that were not even great. I don't know when running the ball became this taboo thing. When u go on the road or face big time opponents you need to run the ball and stay out of long yardage 3rd downs. Offenses change but that hasn't. We are here to win football games, not have man put up high yardage and win 8 games. Or be like OU under Riley, smoked everytime they play anyone decent.

What's the point of having a offense that gets stonewalling against any decent team. Lashlee offense, stone walled against Clemson and Bama. Not only that, inability to run against teams that were not even great. I don't know when running the ball became this taboo thing. When u go on the road or face big time opponents you need to run the ball and stay out of long yardage 3rd downs. Offenses change but that hasn't. We are here to win football games, not have man put up high yardage and win 8 games. Or be like OU under Riley, smoked everytime they play anyone decent.
The inability to run was an oline problem more than it was a playcalling problem. We definitely need to have an effective run game to win but football today is a passing game.

One of the National champions best WRs left the team to the loser lol, we aren’t even that established so imagine if we don’t have a WR friendly offense in south Florida and bama/osu are calling

The inability to run was an oline problem more than it was a playcalling problem. We definitely need to have an effective run game to win but football today is a passing game.

One of the National champions best WRs left the team to the loser lol, we aren’t even that established so imagine if we don’t have a WR friendly offense in south Florida and bama/osu are calling
We got stonewalled even by average teams running the ball. That was not just talent. Zero run game creativity. Don't get the infatuation with that offense.

We got stonewalled even by average teams running the ball. That was not just talent. Zero run game creativity. Don't get the infatuation with that offense.
I agree, needed more creativity but…If our oline cant get a yard worth of push vs Georgia tech then there’s a bigger problem

Advertisement
Back