Gattis Discusses RPO Game

I hope people realize our biggest issue is on defense and not whether we score 35pts a game. We allowed over 30pts on defense. Solve the scoring defense problem and we will not be concerned if we are scoring 30pts or 35pts a game.

And a power run game with balance should be welcomed. That’s how you win games. We can’t put all the pressure on TVD to throw for 350+ and 4 tds just to win by 6pts against average ACC teams.
If the defense improves but the offense gets worse, we’re still going to be in tight battles against average ACC teams.

Advertisement
And not to be funny but what makes people think if we don’t score over 35pts than Gattis is a failure??? TVD and Zion are the only players on offense that would get drafted. We do not have an elite OL or dynamic skill position players. I mean none that would drafted in the 1-3 rounds of the NFL draft. Temper expectations on offense and focus on the defense. That will dictate if we are 10-2 or 8-4.
Because Miami averaged 34 points per game last year. Nobody on offense last year got drafted either. Why would you accept the offense getting worse? Aren’t our standards supposed to be higher than they were under Manny?

If the defense improves but the offense gets worse, we’re still going to be in tight battles against average ACC teams.
If we average 30pts a game we will be fine. I do not expect us to go 2019 Dan Enos level bad where we avg 21pts a game.

Because Miami averaged 34 points per game last year. Nobody on offense last year got drafted either. Why would you accept the offense getting worse? Aren’t our standards supposed to be higher than they were under Manny?
Different scheme and we went 7-5. The running game was terrible and we had to rely on streaky QB play to win games. Pull up the offensive stats in big games. Bama, Clemson, Michigan St. The offense was not balanced.

If we average 30pts a game we will be fine. I do not expect us to go 2019 Dan Enos level bad where we avg 21pts a game.
I’m not settling for an offense that’s significantly worse than last year’s. There’s no excuse to score five points less per game

Advertisement
I’m not settling for an offense that’s significantly worse than last year’s. There’s no excuse to score five points less per game
It’s highly unlikely we average anywhere close to 40pts with our current personnel. Be prepared to settle.

We scored 34 per game last year and the only guys not back are two undrafted receivers and an undrafted lineman. There’s NO excuse for them to not get 35 a game
Those undrafted receivers set UM records. We have no one at the moment that can replace their productivity. And the majority are second year players. Expect growing pains for them in a new offense.

And not to be funny but what makes people think if we don’t score over 35pts than Gattis is a failure??? TVD and Zion are the only players on offense that would get drafted. We do not have an elite OL or dynamic skill position players. I mean none that would drafted in the 1-3 rounds of the NFL draft. Temper expectations on offense and focus on the defense. That will dictate if we are 10-2 or 8-4.
Not saying steele is a miracle worker or anything but i have less worries about the defense lol. Going from a gimmicky scheme to a sound scheme is gonna clean up alot on its own.

Manny to Steele is a way bigger upgrade than Lashlee to Gattis imo.

Advertisement
Don't disagree. Just hope that Gattis expands his playbook to incorporate the X & Z wr's more....probably why you're seeing such WR position in recruiting being tougher to land given the perception toward the utilization of the offense. Those type of WR's are waiting to see what Gattis does.
TVD throws such a good deep ball, idk how Gattis can’t get the outside guys involved. Why clip his wings? I’ll be super disappointed if there isn’t an concerted effort to stretch the field not only vertically, but horizontally.

I would think that a gap blocking scheme, combined with more play action (and less RPO), should get our outside guys some great looks in 1-on-1 situations, assuming the run game works.
It’s highly unlikely we average anywhere close to 40pts with our current personnel. Be prepared to settle.
I’m not saying we average 40, but Mich was 16th in the nation at 35.8 last year. That is with basically no WRs, and QBs that can’t hold TVD’s jock.

To score points, you need to be efficient and explosive. That doesn’t necessarily have to happen by throwing it 50x/game. Play with tempo, have good weekly game plans that attack weaknesses, attack mismatches, and be able to dial up explosive plays when the opportunity arises.

Personally, I’m in wait and see mode. The finishing whistle of the aTm game seems like the right time to start truly judging.

Those undrafted receivers set UM records. We have no one at the moment that can replace their productivity. And the majority are second year players. Expect growing pains for them in a new offense.
And what had Rambo done before he set records at UM? Get passed on the depth chart by a freshman at Oklahoma. It’s not like Rambo and Harley are these incredible talents that can’t be replaced. I’m sure one of the guys from our highest rated receiver class ever will be able to step up and be the go to guy opposite Restrepo.

Last edited:
The whole scoring thing has so many variables to it.
We will probably score more points overall if :

1) We are more efficient in short yardage/ goalline.
2) If we can cause more turnovers than last year (score off them and have shorter fields)
3) If we can improve on special teams (returns, blocked punts/kicks, the soph kicker being more accurate etc.)

The offensive system is important of course but I am not going to get all worked up about it not knowing the other variables.

Last edited:
I hope people realize our biggest issue is on defense and not whether we score 35pts a game. We allowed over 30pts on defense. Solve the scoring defense problem and we will not be concerned if we are scoring 30pts or 35pts a game.

And a power run game with balance should be welcomed. That’s how you win games. We can’t put all the pressure on TVD to throw for 350+ and 4 tds just to win by 6pts against average ACC teams.
Wasnt talking about the defense, thats a whoooooole other deal but look at the top teams and look at the teams that have been in playoffs last lets say 2,3 or 5 years and see if they are in bottom half of scoring in nation and win 10+ games.. I think we have potential for that, I think defense just because of low bar set last year will have major gains also.. But if the offense that many people saw issues with last year was able to avg 35 pts/game then I can see them making improvements with better run game, more experienced QB, many returning players. I expect TVD to light up the score board AND have a good running game, all the pieces are there (yes I think a WR or 2 will step up)..

Even if just run game that will allow you to score more TDs in redzone and such.. Going down to 30 pts a game is a step backwards.. We need to show recruits we can light up scoreboards to compete for players with Bama/OSU/USC/etc. 30 points is like we scored 10 points against A&M while scoring 70 against bethune.. Top teams score against everybody

Advertisement
Let me shock some people. We only averaged 30.9 pts against power 5 teams last year. I just don’t get how we expect this big jump in scoring when we have a lot of variables with personnel and new scheme. If we do average 35pts or more this year, than we will have a special season. I’m talking playoff contention if we get improvements on defense.

Let me shock some people. We only averaged 30.9 pts against power 5 teams last year. I just don’t get how we expect this big jump in scoring when we have a lot of variables with personnel and new scheme. If we do average 35pts or more this year, than we will have a special season. I’m talking playoff contention if we get improvements on defense.
Thats the standard we are tryna get to. Miami is paying Mario 8 milli and bought in the broyles award winning OC from last year. Taking steps backward with a projected NFL QB will be a major dissapointment

Im kind of torn with the WR convo, part of me understands we dont have any proven guys there and the staffs actions after spring showed they don’t trust that room…Other side thinks we have talent there even tho they aren’t proven I think they are ready to play and they’re having a harder time adjusting to this offense than they would a lashlee style offense. It’s probably somewhere in between but we wont know until like mid season lol
There is a lot potential there but they are young and by all accounts most of those guys had inconsistent springs.

We’ll see in a few weeks hopefully they’ve been working and are ready to roll.

Advertisement
So we averaged over 30 a game against P5 last year and you’re ok with averaging 30 a game against the entire schedule?

The defense will be better but that’s not saying much because last year they were horrible. This team is not going to win a bunch of 24-17 games. They’re likely still going to have to outscore opponents even if the defense is much better.

The best teams win by large margins on average. The top 5 teams in average scoring margin last year were the four playoff teams and Ohio State. If the offense can average 35+ and the defense can hold opponents to 25 or less that would put our average scoring margin somewhere in the top 20. By contrast Miami’s scoring margin of -.01 last year was 69th. The rankings don’t take into account FCS opponents so the 67-0 game against Central Connecticut didn’t count.

TVD said it himself at the ACC kick off. He said they HAD to throw the ball 40 times a game because they had no run game. It was too much. He seems excited about the offense and getting the TE and RBs more involved. He'll get his explosive plays through the air. Who cares what the point total is as long as they win?

I don't think the ACC is going to be the cakewalk so many of you all do...

I'm more excited to see how Gattis evolves away from some of the Harbaugh influence. I have watched just about every Michigan game from last year and there are drives where they are rolling then randomly jump into some 22 personnel stuff or 2 fullbacks enter the game. Gotta think that was Harbaugh adding his influence. Gattis seems to be with the times and running most of this offense out of the gun.

PFF Ranked Miami the #6 Pass Blocking OL last year
TVD hasn't been sacked in his last 90 attempts

If we've got a great QB and a great pass blocking OL - let that sh*t fly.

Passing should still be our strength, so lets play to our strength. IMO replacing in Rambo & Harley isn't that hard of a task. We should at least be close.

Advertisement
Back