Gattis Discusses RPO Game

For our offensive guys on this site, does Gattis know what he’s ta

I take the opposite approach. I think TVD made Rambo look better than he is. or more fairly, they were good for each other.
TVD will make our receivers look better this season than they might actually be
I dont really get into semantics but Rambo was balling with King also.. He was just ready last season to show out, especially with freshman QB who while talented was still just getting his first snaps I dont think its far out to say Rambo was like his safety blanket for the young QB. This season TVD will probably be in position to help the WR look better

Advertisement
The Lashlee/spread system vs Gattis is an interesting debate if you will, but the constant for either is the most important variable, TVD. We all know MC wants to run the ball so we're definitely running more than last year. But a guy like Gattis has the IQ to play to the strengths of his personnel while making his boss happy and pounding the rock too. Just give us 30 ppg consistently and that's all that matters.

I dont really get into semantics but Rambo was balling with King also.. He was just ready last season to show out, especially with freshman QB who while talented was still just getting his first snaps I dont think its far out to say Rambo was like his safety blanket for the young QB. This season TVD will probably be in position to help the WR look better
Very fair assessment. They were really goof for each other. But you’re right Rambo was balling regardless.

Good point. He set the single game receptions record against Michigan State with King.

Advertisement
Well be running it more and we 100% should with the RBs we have. Need to control the clock better. Hopefully a WR steps up though and the staff doesn’t shy away from letting TVD be TVD due to weakness in that area. This should be a top tier offense in year 1 regardless of the holes, esp in the context of the ACC outside of Clemson. No excuses.

Well be running it more and we 100% should with the RBs we have. Need to control the clock better. Hopefully a WR steps up though and the staff doesn’t shy away from letting TVD be TVD due to weakness in that area. This should be a top tier offense in year 1 regardless of the holes, esp in the context of the ACC outside of Clemson. No excuses.

what does control the clock mean?

TVD was great last year but alot of those deep balls were bad throws made good by rambo/bad db play. He loafed a couple and rambo made a play, but he also had some that were just dimes like the one vs FSU backed up against the endzone, my favorite TVD throw so far.

Advertisement
Im kind of torn with the WR convo, part of me understands we dont have any proven guys there and the staffs actions after spring showed they don’t trust that room…Other side thinks we have talent there even tho they aren’t proven I think they are ready to play and they’re having a harder time adjusting to this offense than they would a lashlee style offense. It’s probably somewhere in between but we wont know until like mid season lol

Advertisement
The Lashlee/spread system vs Gattis is an interesting debate if you will, but the constant for either is the most important variable, TVD. We all know MC wants to run the ball so we're definitely running more than last year. But a guy like Gattis has the IQ to play to the strengths of his personnel while making his boss happy and pounding the rock too. Just give us 30 ppg consistently and that's all that matters.
Game has changed.. 30 points a game will keep us as really bad. We were closer to 35 points a game last year and we bring back the majority of our offense from last year. We need to take steps forward not back. We should be closer to 40 points a game. 30 points probably dont even have you as a top 50 scoring offense last year lol

Game has changed.. 30 points a game will keep us as really bad. We were closer to 35 points a game last year and we bring back the majority of our offense from last year. We need to take steps forward not back. We should be closer to 40 points a game. 30 points probably dont even have you as a top 50 scoring offense last year lol
We may avg 30 but the defense will be night and day better so the 30 will win us 9 games east if we actually hit the point total

Alright, 40. But even if we averaged let's say 35 ppg last year our offense was incredibly inefficient and our struggles on 3rd/4th and short situations were embarrassing. The ppg metric can be a bit misleading.

Advertisement
When people use the Rambo argument for this year’s WR group they keep forgetting that Rambo’s record breaking season was mainly due to the offensive system & the high volume targets that are designated for the perimeter.

This Offense will feature the TE’s, Slot WR & RB’s more, the X & Z are not the primary routes on most plays.

We’re going to see a lot more Play Action with 12 & 13 personnel running Counters as well
Rambo was running alot of 9 and 8 routes all the time last year

If we’re not at 35 per game, we got worse. I don’t care about time of possession. I don’t care about fourth down conversions. I care about points on the score board.

Telling a high scoring offense to control the clock so the defense doesn’t have to work as hard is like telling a defense that’s holding opponents under 20 points that they need to force more turnovers in the opponent’s red zone to make it easy for the offense. Yeah, that’s great but the first priority for an offense is scoring and the first priority for a defense is stopping the opponent from scoring.

I hope people realize our biggest issue is on defense and not whether we score 35pts a game. We allowed over 30pts on defense. Solve the scoring defense problem and we will not be concerned if we are scoring 30pts or 35pts a game.

And a power run game with balance should be welcomed. That’s how you win games. We can’t put all the pressure on TVD to throw for 350+ and 4 tds just to win by 6pts against average ACC teams.

And not to be funny but what makes people think if we don’t score over 35pts than Gattis is a failure??? TVD and Zion are the only players on offense that would get drafted. We do not have an elite OL or dynamic skill position players. I mean none that would drafted in the 1-3 rounds of the NFL draft. Temper expectations on offense and focus on the defense. That will dictate if we are 10-2 or 8-4.

Advertisement
Back