Gattis Discusses RPO Game

I got no issue with Gattis’s Offense whatsoever, it’s just when people use the Rambo argument for this year’s WR group they keep forgetting that Rambo’s record breaking season was mainly due to the offensive system & the high volume targets that are designated for the perimeter.

This Offense will feature the TE’s, Slot WR & RB’s more, the X & Z are not the primary routes on most plays.

We’re going to see a lot more Play Action with 12 & 13 personnel running Counters as well
Don't disagree. Just hope that Gattis expands his playbook to incorporate the X & Z wr's more....probably why you're seeing such WR position in recruiting being tougher to land given the perception toward the utilization of the offense. Those type of WR's are waiting to see what Gattis does.

Advertisement
Don't disagree. Just hope that Gattis expands his playbook to incorporate the X & Z wr's more....probably why you're seeing such WR position in recruiting being tougher to land given the perception toward the utilization of the offense. Those type of WR's are waiting to see what Gattis does.
Gattis will exceed their expectations.

it's hard not to xcited what mc has done with recruiting but we all knew he would do great at that as u can see! my only worried is about offense I've seen plenty oregon games it wasn't all that. hopefully they know what they got in tvd! rember one of those conferences title game oregon wasn't supposed to be in Washington had covid! trying not to xcited its hard not too

Advertisement
X will be putting up some great numbers in this offense. The rest of the wrs will be okay. Hopefully they improve as the weeks go by and TVD gets into a good rhythm.
TEs will absolutely dominate in this offense.

Also, it seems like we say this every year but I think it really is true this season: Whoever can run, catch the ball and block the best will be playing the most at RB.

Last edited:
I don’t agree - the problem with the O last year was it was feast or famine. Lots of big plays, but also too many 3 & outs and not being able to get first downs on 2nd and 3rd and short.
It was our highest scoring offense since 2002. A bit more consistency in the run game was needed but the shift in offensive philosophy could really negatively impact our offense. It’s going to take years for our offensive line to get re-tooled to the point where we can rely on them as the strong point of our offense. We’re still running out four of the five guys from last year.

My hope is that we can transition gradually. My fear is that they try to force the transition and then complain about the players when the results aren’t showing. The excuses are already coming out. “We don’t have the receivers we need” “we don’t have the linemen we need”. Oh well, work around it. If we don’t have the players to run a power rushing scheme, don’t force it. Work with what you have while you reshape the roster to what you eventually want.

TVD demonstrated very good decision making with RPOs last year if I remember correctly.

So at least those plays or similar concepts will still be utilized in 2022.

Advertisement
It was our highest scoring offense since 2002. A bit more consistency in the run game was needed but the shift in offensive philosophy could really negatively impact our offense. It’s going to take years for our offensive line to get re-tooled to the point where we can rely on them as the strong point of our offense. We’re still running out four of the five guys from last year.

My hope is that we can transition gradually. My fear is that they try to force the transition and then complain about the players when the results aren’t showing. The excuses are already coming out. “We don’t have the receivers we need” “we don’t have the linemen we need”. Oh well, work around it. If we don’t have the players to run a power rushing scheme, don’t force it. Work with what you have while you reshape the roster to what you eventually want.

I don’t think they are going to run as much as you think this year. I would expect it to be balanced and closer to 50/50. He had Shae Patterson, Joe Milton and Cade McNamara under center. If you watched the games in 2019-20 there were a lot of open receivers that they flat out missed. TVD has 1st round potential so I think they will put up some great numbers this year.

I like his run concepts so much better than Lashlee’s. I think integrating the pin/pull gap schemes will actually benefit the O-Line. It seemed like teams were just shooting gaps and blowing up the zone last year. I remember the Notre Dame game from 2017 when we added some counters etc that were huge plays instead of the obvious zones that Richt was running.

Finally I think it will help our D if we can be better moving the chains and using some clock will help the defence. We ranked 121st in TOP last year.

When people use the Rambo argument for this year’s WR group they keep forgetting that Rambo’s record breaking season was mainly due to the offensive system & the high volume targets that are designated for the perimeter.

This Offense will feature the TE’s, Slot WR & RB’s more, the X & Z are not the primary routes on most plays.

We’re going to see a lot more Play Action with 12 & 13 personnel running Counters as well

TrumpyCane thinks Gattis is perfect for this offense with the personnel we have

Good TEs, good slot WR, no true game breaker on the outside

TrumpyCane hopes once Mario grabs some WRs who can create themselves that he changes his offensive philosophy, even Saban changed his mindset and I believe Cristobal was at Bama when Kiffin was hired and saw firsthand what a dynamic offense can do

TrumpyCane is calling it now

Once Sarkisian is fired by Texas he will be our new OC

Advertisement
When people use the Rambo argument for this year’s WR group they keep forgetting that Rambo’s record breaking season was mainly due to the offensive system & the high volume targets that are designated for the perimeter.

Not only that, but Rambo was probably the best receiver we've had in years at making the 50/50 catches. He made TVD look alot better than he really was at times.

Do we have the receiver on our depth chart this year?

I don’t think they are going to run as much as you think this year. I would expect it to be balanced and closer to 50/50. He had Shae Patterson, Joe Milton and Cade McNamara under center. If you watched the games in 2019-20 there were a lot of open receivers that they flat out missed. TVD has 1st round potential so I think they will put up some great numbers this year.

I like his run concepts so much better than Lashlee’s. I think integrating the pin/pull gap schemes will actually benefit the O-Line. It seemed like teams were just shooting gaps and blowing up the zone last year. I remember the Notre Dame game from 2017 when we added some counters etc that were huge plays instead of the obvious zones that Richt was running.

Finally I think it will help our D if we can be better moving the chains and using some clock will help the defence. We ranked 121st in TOP last year.
I have no doubt we’ll see an improvement running the ball. ****, we could have run the exact same offense and seen an improvement just by having more/better running back options than we did last year. The new run blocking scheme puts more of an emphasis on execution than the old zone scheme which didn’t do much to mask weak spots on the line. It should help running backs too with more specifically designed run lanes vs picking a lane in the zone blocking scheme. Honestly, I have no doubt we’ll be improved there. I just don’t want to see our strong armed quarterback who’s strength is vertical passes to the outside get relegated to dump off passes to running backs and 6 yard drags over the middle. We had defenses SCARED last year because Tyler and Rambo worked so well together that even good coverage wasn’t good enough.

Advertisement
For our offensive guys on this site, does Gattis know what he’s ta
Not only that, but Rambo was probably the best receiver we've had in years at making the 50/50 catches. He made TVD look alot better than he really was at times.

Do we have the receiver on our depth chart this year?
I take the opposite approach. I think TVD made Rambo look better than he is. or more fairly, they were good for each other.
TVD will make our receivers look better this season than they might actually be

I don’t think we know yet who’s going to be “running out” as starters on the offensive line. Competition will be fierce and nothing will be given. I think LT is the only position we can say in July that we know who the starter will be.

Gattis loves the slot fade route….B. Smith should have a zillion yards on this route alone. The best part about Van Dyke is he loves to chuck it deep so that’ll probably be where he looks first. He ain’t no dink and dunk qb so it’s going down field no matter what.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back