Gattis’ 2019 install at Michigan

🤣🤣🤣🤣only thing im mad at is X and Jacoby being out, I think we would’ve saw guys emerge and change our opinions on the wr room
Someone has to step up. Its the perfect opportunity for some young bucks in that room to shine. There is no excuse anymore, you get playing time, use it wisely. If they dont produce now, they won't produce at all.

Advertisement
Gattis has more to prove than any coach or player on this team. He was touted as the TE master ... but at Michigan his TE coach from 2018-2020 was given credit for the TE development and successes. That guy was made Co OC in 2021 (co oc and OL coach). Michigans offense has become more productive since Gattis left. The run game is now more effective ... and Gattis gets some credit for that along with Alex and Mario for OL technique improvements ... but so far Gattis has shown NO skill set for creative passing play installs. If you can't pass the football in 2022 your offense is dead in the water.
You make some good points with the last sentence being right on the money. It's true that Gattis has not shown any creativity in regards to passing concepts. I realize we have a serious issue at WR but my main issue is the lack of the TE in this offense so far. We have a very talented group yet so far despite the need for playmakers in the passing game there has been zero effort to utilize the talent at TE in the offense. Arroyo and Skinner on the field together would pose huge problems for most defenses and defensive coordinators. It's only been 3 games into their first season so I'm willing to be patient while they try to figure this out. Knowing how thorough and detail oriented Mario is I doubt that Gattis is a complete fraud as some are suggesting. He may not be the right fit for Miami but we will see.

Gattis has more to prove than any coach or player on this team. He was touted as the TE master ... but at Michigan his TE coach from 2018-2020 was given credit for the TE development and successes. That guy was made Co OC in 2021 (co oc and OL coach). Michigans offense has become more productive since Gattis left. The run game is now more effective ... and Gattis gets some credit for that along with Alex and Mario for OL technique improvements ... but so far Gattis has shown NO skill set for creative passing play installs. If you can't pass the football in 2022 your offense is dead in the water.
Fair points.

Michigan was trying to run that offense effectively for years, they broke through last year and now they have much more experience in the system and you see the results. Gattis was very good for them and the coaches that replaced him are very good too (so far).

All the Xs&Os experts on this site told us that this type of offense needs time and the right players. Although I'm not thrilled so far, I'm going to have patience here before calling for firing people.

FSU? ohh dont eb shocked if its tight esp w how we look right now.

their D is athletic and will give us fits.

Clemson is gonna destroy us w their D.
My only concern with FSU is Travis' scrambling ability turning a big play out of nothing. Our d line has lost contain way too often so far and Travis will test that.

My only concern with FSU is Travis' scrambling ability turning a big play out of nothing. Our d line has lost contain way too often so far and Travis will test that.

Yep. On Achanes second touchdown, the end went WAY upfield for no reason and JHH got blown off the ball. Left a huge hole for the track star. We have to be more disciplined in this regard.

Advertisement
This argument that we just happen to have ****** 4 stars across the board is a joke and nothing more than a flat out excuse for the lack of coaching, development and lackluster scheme that sets them up to fail.

First, you don't need 4 stars, let alone 5 stars to have WRs that produce. There are COUNTLESS amount of FBS teams who have WRs who were 2 and 3 stars coming out of high school that produce at an insanely high level at the FBS level. And not just FBS, but P5. We don't even need to look far to see those results. Below are stats from the 2021 season of receivers in the ACC who were extremely low ranked coming out of high school, who put up absurd numbers in 2021.

STOP WITH THE **** EXCUSES already that we don't have enough talent at WR. We have more than enough. The OC and WR coach, possibly the HC have failed them and this team thus far through the first 3 games of this season on the offensive side. There is is still plenty of time to turn this around, but the excuse that we don't have enough talent at WR is just that, an excuse.

NC State - Emeka Emezie
60 Receptions 802 Yards 6 Touchdowns
Stars: 3
WR Rank: 80
Overall: 533

Virginia - Dontayvion Wick
57 Receptions 1203 Yards 9 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 888
Overall: 679

Wake Forest - A.T. Perry
71 Receptions 1293 Yards 15 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 205
Overall: 1,418

Wake Foresrt - Jaquari Roberson
71 receptions 1078 Yards 8 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 193
Overall: 1,393

View attachment 209009

Above is Michigan’s scoring results from 2019 when Gattis installed his offense there.

There are a few things I noticed.

Michigan played a GRUELING schedule. Their four losses were to teams that FINISHED the season ranked in the top 11. Two of them were arguably the most talented in the country in Bama and OSU. They beat Iowa (finished#15) in a snooze fest.

The offense had some early struggles but picked up dramatically by midseason.

The passing attempts increased when the run game struggled. He didn’t force the pass when they were controlling games and he didn’t force the run when it was failing.

Those games vs Army, Wisky, and Iowa were tough, but the production improved greatly against similar opponents late in the year.

If we follow a similar trajectory this season, we will be much better against Clemson than aTm and dominate the majority of the remaining schedule.

If you compare performance to teams with similar talent, it isn’t unreasonable to believe that Miami can pull this thing together. Gattis handles regular conference opponents well under normal circumstances. Clemson won’t be putting Fields or Tua out against us, so that should go well. We won’t face anywhere near the gauntlet he faced then. He had games similar to the ones we have had so far this year.

We have shown we can hang with a talented team in a hostile environment, so I don’t see many opportunities to get exposed moving forward unless we are facing elite talent. All the goals we had for the season are still on the table. and I suspect pummel the mediocre ACC teams that make up the majority of our schedule.

You can't fault the guy for putting his offense in the red zone 4 times, controlling TOP, out gaining the opponent in yards, first downs, etc. But I can fault him for his tentative red zone play calling. Other than RZ offense I thought his offense was fine, helped his defense, and overall good enough to win the game. There were other factors too outside of his control like inconsistency in TVD, and inopportune drops by WRs.

Hopefully, this game was an anomaly and not a trend when we look back at the end of the season.

This argument that we just happen to have ****** 4 stars across the board is a joke and nothing more than a flat out excuse for the lack of coaching, development and lackluster scheme that sets them up to fail.

First, you don't need 4 stars, let alone 5 stars to have WRs that produce. There are COUNTLESS amount of FBS teams who have WRs who were 2 and 3 stars coming out of high school that produce at an insanely high level at the FBS level. And not just FBS, but P5. We don't even need to look far to see those results. Below are stats from the 2021 season of receivers in the ACC who were extremely low ranked coming out of high school, who put up absurd numbers in 2021.

STOP WITH THE **** EXCUSES already that we don't have enough talent at WR. We have more than enough. The OC and WR coach, possibly the HC have failed them and this team thus far through the first 3 games of this season on the offensive side. There is is still plenty of time to turn this around, but the excuse that we don't have enough talent at WR is just that, an excuse.

NC State - Emeka Emezie
60 Receptions 802 Yards 6 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 80
Overall: 533

Virginia - Dontayvion Wick
57 Receptions 1203 Yards 9 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 888
Overall: 679

Wake Forest - A.T. Perry
71 Receptions 1293 Yards 15 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 205
Overall: 1,418

Wake Foresrt - Jaquari Roberson
71 receptions 1078 Yards 8 Touchdowns
WR Rank: 193
Overall: 1,393
We’re seeing it with the OL. Everyone was left for dead by the fanbase. Including me. Then we get this staff and now everyone is crowning them. For good reason

This is Mario’s offense, he got the OC he wanted to run HIS offensive philosophy. Y’all was worried about Mario being a QB killa and having stale *** offense, well here you go……your reservations have come true

Advertisement
Oh my god, a reasonable and level-headed take about Gattis? I’m amazed.

Everyone b*tching about the playcalling seems to completely ignore the fact that plays were open all night and they were either a)dropped by WRs/RB, or b) missed throws by the QB.

Redzone play calling did get weird, yes, particularly the QB draw.. but frankly, not sure what we wanted Gattis to do after seeing the QB/WR abortions almost every time we attempted a pass more than 5 yards.

27 first downs, zero touchdowns. Play calling must have been terrible, right? 🙄 41 pass attempts, and only 4 passes completed that went more than 5 yards. Please take a moment to process how horrific that is, especially from an execution standpoint.

If Gattis deserves major criticism for anything to this point, it should be for his duty as WR coach. I’m of the belief that we should hire a dedicated WR coach because it is clearly being neglected to an extent. Similar deal with Ponce, would love to know wtf is going on between those two positions.

Advertisement
Listen man...That FSU D is fast...Every game Travis looks better...He'll give us **** with his feet, and now he has that 6'6 WR...this won't be some comfortable 10 point win. I'll know all that I'll need to see vs UNC.....

You didn't even mention their RBs. FSU should not be taken lightly. Norvell did a great job with the portal. I really wish we kicked the tires on their big WR and Verse. Both have made an impact

Advertisement
I cannot help but laugh at the FSU comments on here. All offseason all I heard on this board was that they were hot garbage, and we need Norvell to stick around because he's a halfwit. Now all of the sudden they are all world and Norvell has done a remarkable job. Make up y'all's mind please!!

GIF by Giphy QA

View attachment 209009

Above is Michigan’s scoring results from 2019 when Gattis installed his offense there.

There are a few things I noticed.

Michigan played a GRUELING schedule. Their four losses were to teams that FINISHED the season ranked in the top 11. Two of them were arguably the most talented in the country in Bama and OSU. They beat Iowa (finished#15) in a snooze fest.

The offense had some early struggles but picked up dramatically by midseason.

The passing attempts increased when the run game struggled. He didn’t force the pass when they were controlling games and he didn’t force the run when it was failing.

Those games vs Army, Wisky, and Iowa were tough, but the production improved greatly against similar opponents late in the year.

If we follow a similar trajectory this season, we will be much better against Clemson than aTm and dominate the majority of the remaining schedule.

If you compare performance to teams with similar talent, it isn’t unreasonable to believe that Miami can pull this thing together. Gattis handles regular conference opponents well under normal circumstances. Clemson won’t be putting Fields or Tua out against us, so that should go well. We won’t face anywhere near the gauntlet he faced then. He had games similar to the ones we have had so far this year.

We have shown we can hang with a talented team in a hostile environment, so I don’t see many opportunities to get exposed moving forward unless we are facing elite talent. All the goals we had for the season are still on the table. and I suspect pummel the mediocre ACC teams that make up the majority of our schedule.
How is Michigan looking the season after Gattis left?

How is Michigan looking the season after Gattis left?

Hard to say honestly, considering all three teams they’ve played are literally bottom ten in all of CFB. No exaggeration there

Also helps that JJ McCarthy is ready this year at QB. Definitely more talented than McNamara, and maybe should’ve been the starter by the end of 2021, but hard to throw a guy out there who was (allegedly) not ready. Believe he was only 18

For a comparison - 2022 Miami has a distinct talent at QB & TE than 2019 Michigan. Michigan had more talented OL, WR & RB.

Hard to compare - but I expect similar results. Gonna look great at times, gonna look a little painful at times.
You are over rating Miami's QB big time.

Advertisement
Back