Gattis’ 2019 install at Michigan

Advertisement
that was not apparently. Harbaugh hired a Co-OC bc of what happened the previous two seasons. he then promoted Matt Weiss to Co-OC following gattis leaving

regarding QBs, good coaches adjust to their talent. Gattis has a top tier talent in TVD. he hasn't adjusted to his strengths YET (big thing here).

if youre waiting for the unicorn, it may never happen.

I fully expect TVD to run this offense at a higher level than anyone he had at Michigan.

It doesn’t look good with dual threat guys like Milton and McNamara passing as often as he wants. He needs pocket passers. This could be a weakness for Gattis moving forward. I like systems that can be run by a runner or a thrower. This isn’t it.

I am waiting for a bigger sample size to see how it looks later on.

I heard a story once about a Florida-based ACC team that went on the road, and despite being the underdog, beat a considerably more talented SEC team.

I don't know, sounds pretty farfetched to me.

Yeah but that team was coached by a guy who got dominated by another Florida based team that had Malik Rosier at quarterback.

View attachment 209009

Above is Michigan’s scoring results from 2019 when Gattis installed his offense there.

There are a few things I noticed.

Michigan played a GRUELING schedule. Their four losses were to teams that FINISHED the season ranked in the top 11. Two of them were arguably the most talented in the country in Bama and OSU. They beat Iowa (finished#15) in a snooze fest.

The offense had some early struggles but picked up dramatically by midseason.

The passing attempts increased when the run game struggled. He didn’t force the pass when they were controlling games and he didn’t force the run when it was failing.

Those games vs Army, Wisky, and Iowa were tough, but the production improved greatly against similar opponents late in the year.

If we follow a similar trajectory this season, we will be much better against Clemson than aTm and dominate the majority of the remaining schedule.

If you compare performance to teams with similar talent, it isn’t unreasonable to believe that Miami can pull this thing together. Gattis handles regular conference opponents well under normal circumstances. Clemson won’t be putting Fields or Tua out against us, so that should go well. We won’t face anywhere near the gauntlet he faced then. He had games similar to the ones we have had so far this year.

We have shown we can hang with a talented team in a hostile environment, so I don’t see many opportunities to get exposed moving forward unless we are facing elite talent. All the goals we had for the season are still on the table. and I suspect pummel the mediocre ACC teams that make up the majority of our schedule.
Keep in mind in 2019 they had Shea Patterson who is doodoo and had a 56% completion %

I think we would all bet money that this offense is trending upwards rather than further regression

You better hope things improve a lot. This is a solid Fsu team. Tbh there’s not many teams we can look past. Either we make adjustments or the defense will have to keep us in every game. Not every offense will be as bad as AM
Yup. That A & M offense was awful - we will face some tougher QB's down the road than Max Johnson.

Advertisement
I expect we take off after the bye week. U can try simulating things in practicw but watching it against live opponents is another thing. Man talk like we had these awesome WRs last season but people forget when we were 2-4 people were saying the same thing then we took off.

Im excited that we have a run game and can approach 200 yards on the road against a SEC team thats talented.
Something tells me we are going to be much improved coming out of bye weeks as we have been in the past….

Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

Listen man...That FSU D is fast...Every game Travis looks better...He'll give us **** with his feet, and now he has that 6'6 WR...this won't be some comfortable 10 point win. I'll know all that I'll need to see vs UNC.....
UNC is going to score, think we can slow them down but don’t see us holding them to 17. Their defense has been abysmal, we **** well better love the ball and score. Anyway you slice it I see that as a close game.

Advertisement
eh, you'll be surprised when we hit ACC play. there are teams in there that will give us fits (Pitt, FSU, obv Clemson).

True, even year means Miami gets North Carolina, Florida State and Pittsburgh at HardRock, which helps. Virginia always a tough road out and Blacksburg is no picnic, though the Hokies looks pretty brutal this year.

Hoping both those games in Virginia are 3:30pm kickoffs and we're not dealing with either wine-and-cheese or hillbilly night crowds.

Let's start with getting a win over the Tar Heels; 0-3 the past three years. Hoping for a night game against those donkeys.

UNC is going to score, think we can slow them down but don’t see us holding them to 17. Their defense has been abysmal, we **** well better love the ball and score. Anyway you slice it I see that as a close game.
if we can't score on UNC, you guys better be ready for the funeral for this season lol. they're that bad on defense and if we can't score and move the ball through the air on them, just start firing dudes now and get the head start lol. thats the game for me. it'll be do or die on the season

For a comparison - 2022 Miami has a distinct talent at QB & TE than 2019 Michigan. Michigan had more talented OL, WR & RB.

Hard to compare - but I expect similar results. Gonna look great at times, gonna look a little painful at times.
Speaking of this talent advantage we have at TE, I'm still waiting to see it. We haven't even made the attempt to get our TEs involved in this offense. Mallory may have had 6 catches vs ATM but most of that production was later in the game and it took much too long to get him involved.

All off season I heard over and over and over again about how our TEs were going to "eat" in the Gattis offense. So far this has hardly been the case. Arroyo has not been used as the pass catching weapon we all know he can be. For a team struggling so much at WR that has all this TE talent it's astonishing to me how little they have been used in the passing game. Where is Skinner? The kid has come in here and has proven both in the spring and fall that he can play. He is essentially a freakishly tall and bulked up WR with athleticism, explosion and great hands yet he is nowhere to be found on a team struggling to pass due to issues at WR. I know the kid is a true freshman but for crying out loud play the kid! Empty the chamber!

Gattis could create some very interesting matchup problems with both Skinner and Arroyo on the field together in the passing game. Let's see it or do we have to wait until they are Juniors and Seniors? I have legit concerns about a few things but I'm still 100% behind Mario and staff. With Gattis I'm going to give him ample opportunity to figure out what he has and how to best use it. Sure there are some things that irk me but it's only been 3 games and I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

OP did a good job and he makes a valid point. I'm confident that Mario, Gattis, Ponce and TVD will get everything ironed out with the passing game. It may take a little longer than most of us initially expected but that's football. Now, if we are able to get this passing game going to go along with our rushing attack, it's going to be very fun to watch.

Advertisement
Speaking of this talent advantage we have at TE, I'm still waiting to see it. We haven't even made the attempt to get our TEs involved in this offense. Mallory may have had 6 catches vs ATM but most of that production was later in the game and it took much too long to get him involved.

All off season I heard over and over and over again about how our TEs were going to "eat" in the Gattis offense. So far this has hardly been the case. Arroyo has not been used as the pass catching weapon we all know he can be. For a team struggling so much at WR that has all this TE talent it's astonishing to me how little they have been used in the passing game. Where is Skinner? The kid has come in here and has proven both in the spring and fall that he can play. He is essentially a freakishly tall and bulked up WR with athleticism, explosion and great hands yet he is nowhere to be found on a team struggling to pass due to issues at WR. I know the kid is a true freshman but for crying out loud play the kid! Empty the chamber!

Gattis could create some very interesting matchup problems with both Skinner and Arroyo on the field together in the passing game. Let's see it or do we have to wait until they are Juniors and Seniors? I have legit concerns about a few things but I'm still 100% behind Mario and staff. With Gattis I'm going to give him ample opportunity to figure out what he has and how to best use it. Sure there are some things that irk me but it's only been 3 games and I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

OP did a good job and he makes a valid point. I'm confident that Mario, Gattis, Ponce and TVD will get everything ironed out with the passing game. It may take a little longer than most of us initially expected but that's football. Now, if we are able to get this passing game going to go along with our rushing attack, it's going to be very fun to watch.
Gattis has more to prove than any coach or player on this team. He was touted as the TE master ... but at Michigan his TE coach from 2018-2020 was given credit for the TE development and successes. That guy was made Co OC in 2021 (co oc and OL coach). Michigans offense has become more productive since Gattis left. The run game is now more effective ... and Gattis gets some credit for that along with Alex and Mario for OL technique improvements ... but so far Gattis has shown NO skill set for creative passing play installs. If you can't pass the football in 2022 your offense is dead in the water.

Advertisement
Young skill players
Young QB
New OC

Dramatic change for the style of offense. Whether you’re high on gattis or not there’s obvious reasons to why we’re struggling early on. Its not on one guy or group its a little bit of everything.

TVD missed some reads and throws, Guys dropped passes in key situations, Gattis has to be better in the redzone and putting guys in better positions to get big plays. I was one of the people not high on this shift on offense but thats just my opinions on how Miami can excel, but i believe the offense is gonna click. It wont be perfect of course but anybody expecting us to be osu in 8 months is just unrealistic. Once the receivers and tvd grasp it we’ll be good and win the coastal

Young skill players
Young QB
New OC

Dramatic change for the style of offense. Whether you’re high on gattis or not there’s obvious reasons to why we’re struggling early on. Its not on one guy or group its a little bit of everything.

TVD missed some reads and throws, Guys dropped passes in key situations, Gattis has to be better in the redzone. I was one of the people not high on this shift on offense but thats just my opinions on how Miami can excel, but i believe the offense is gonna click. It wont be perfect of course but anybody expecting us to be osu in 8 months is just unrealistic. Once the receivers and tvd grasp it we’ll be good and win the coastal
No. Fire everyone. Three games, long overdue. Bring back Lashlee!!!!!!

Young skill players
Young QB
New OC

TVD missed some reads and throws, Guys dropped passes in key situations, Gattis has to be better in the redzone. I was one of the people not high on this shift on offense but thats just my opinions on how Miami can excel, but i believe the offense is gonna click. It wont be perfect of course but anybody expecting us to be osu is 8 months is just unrealistic. Once the receivers and tvd grasp it we’ll be good and win the coastal
Agree, people like to blame ONE person but all those three things can be true at the same time (and that was the case vs TAMU).

Advertisement
Back