Gattis’ 2019 install at Michigan

TruCane81

Senior
2C145A9D-0BD5-4913-A528-D6C3A0988B0E.png

Above is Michigan’s scoring results from 2019 when Gattis installed his offense there.

There are a few things I noticed.

Michigan played a GRUELING schedule. Their four losses were to teams that FINISHED the season ranked in the top 11. Two of them were arguably the most talented in the country in Bama and OSU. They beat Iowa (finished#15) in a snooze fest.

The offense had some early struggles but picked up dramatically by midseason.

The passing attempts increased when the run game struggled. He didn’t force the pass when they were controlling games and he didn’t force the run when it was failing.

Those games vs Army, Wisky, and Iowa were tough, but the production improved greatly against similar opponents late in the year.

If we follow a similar trajectory this season, we will be much better against Clemson than aTm and dominate the majority of the remaining schedule.

If you compare performance to teams with similar talent, it isn’t unreasonable to believe that Miami can pull this thing together. Gattis handles regular conference opponents well under normal circumstances. Clemson won’t be putting Fields or Tua out against us, so that should go well. We won’t face anywhere near the gauntlet he faced then. He had games similar to the ones we have had so far this year.

We have shown we can hang with a talented team in a hostile environment, so I don’t see many opportunities to get exposed moving forward unless we are facing elite talent. All the goals we had for the season are still on the table. and I suspect pummel the mediocre ACC teams that make up the majority of our schedule.

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up. Before I even read this, I naturally expected us to be better by mid season. I think the bye week will do the offense some good. The sign of a good team and a good staff is if the team improves week to week.

How many times has Alabama looked beatable early in the year and then by the end of the season, they’re in the NC game?

View attachment 209009

Above is Michigan’s scoring results from 2019 when Gattis installed his offense there.

Michigan played a GRUELING schedule. Their four losses were to teams that FINISHED the season ranked in the top 11. Two of them were arguably the most talented in the country in Bama and OSU. They beat Iowa (finished#15) in a snooze fest.

The passing attempts increased when the run game struggled. He didn’t force the pass when they were controlling games and he didn’t force the run when it was failing.

Those games vs Army, Wisky, and Iowa were tough, but the production improved greatly against similar opponents late in the year.

If we follow a similar trajectory this season, we will be much better against Clemson than aTm and dominate the majority of the remaining schedule.

If you compare performance to teams with similar talent, it isn’t unreasonable to believe that Miami can pull this thing together. Gattis handles regular conference opponents well under normal circumstances. Clemson won’t be putting Fields or Tua out against us, so that should go well. We won’t face anywhere near the gauntlet he faced then. He had games similar to the ones we have had so far this year.

We have shown we can hang with a talented team in a hostile environment, so I don’t see many opportunities to get exposed moving forward unless we are facing elite talent. All the goals we had for the season are still on the table. and I suspect pummel the mediocre ACC teams that make up the majority of our schedule.
eh, you'll be surprised when we hit ACC play. there are teams in there that will give us fits (Pitt, FSU, obv Clemson).

I liked what I saw from the running game on Saturday, and if that continues the passing game will eventually match it.

Tune up this weekend against a patsy, and then take the juicy opportunities upcoming against UNC (who plays with a horrible defense) and VT. I'll re-assess at that point, but I think the hysterics will come down by then.

Advertisement
I expect we take off after the bye week. U can try simulating things in practicw but watching it against live opponents is another thing. Man talk like we had these awesome WRs last season but people forget when we were 2-4 people were saying the same thing then we took off.

Im excited that we have a run game and can approach 200 yards on the road against a SEC team thats talented.

Advertisement
View attachment 209009

By all accounts this offense is more complex than Lashlee's. It's reasonable to expect that production will increase as the players get more comfortable, at least compared to a simpler offense.

Does that mean that it will? No. But we have to hope that's the case.

I expect we take off after the bye week. U can try simulating things in practicw but watching it against live opponents is another thing. Man talk like we had these awesome WRs last season but people forget when we were 2-4 people were saying the same thing then we took off.

Im excited that we have a run game and can approach 200 yards on the road against a SEC team thats talented.
I think the offense will start clicking, other teams will not be able to sit with safeties deep while we gouge them with the run, you can win alot with the foundation we have. The pass plays were there to be had, I think we will be clicking soon, barring anymore injuies.. Now hearing recruits are catching injuries, not sure how true that is

Advertisement
FSU? ohh dont eb shocked if its tight esp w how we look right now.

their D is athletic and will give us fits.

Clemson is gonna destroy us w their D.

No doubt. It’s a rivalry.

I still think we take them down fairly comfortably. 7 to 10 point win.

You better hope things improve a lot. This is a solid Fsu team. Tbh there’s not many teams we can look past. Either we make adjustments or the defense will have to keep us in every game. Not every offense will be as bad as AM

Unless Gattis goes scorched earth and loses the team, I would bet we do play much better in the passing game.

No doubt. It’s a rivalry.

I still think we take them down fairly comfortably. 7 to 10 point win.
Listen man...That FSU D is fast...Every game Travis looks better...He'll give us **** with his feet, and now he has that 6'6 WR...this won't be some comfortable 10 point win. I'll know all that I'll need to see vs UNC.....

Advertisement
The offensive line winning the battle against A&M was a big shock for me and it points to better success against lesser defenses. It will keep us in every game on the schedule, including Clemson. Our offense needs to find a way to generate more explosive plays though or we’re just going to lose a bunch of close, low scoring games. 8 minute drives that end in field goals will get us beat by everyone who’s not garbage.

I think the offense will start clicking, other teams will not be able to sit with safeties deep while we gouge them with the run, you can win alot with the foundation we have. The pass plays were there to be had, I think we will be clicking soon, barring anymore injuies.. Now hearing recruits are catching injuries, not sure how true that is
This. As bad as Gattis was at times we would look at this game a lot differently if we had capitalized on the opportunities presented such as the Parrish drop, redding miss and TVD's failure to connect on any of the deep throws where guys had a step.

Advertisement
Back