Tears Gator Tears

BIlly's open letter:

Dear diary. What have I gotten myself into? Everyone at Louisiana loved me, I was the king of the Sun Belt and 3 star players were good enough for everyone. Now I'm in Gainesville and everyone hates me. Mario Cristobal bullies me on the daily and I can't get a single blue chip player to play for me. I don't get it! Hopefully, the administration buys me out and I can go back to G5 bliss in a borderline D1 conference. Believe me when I tell you, the grass isn't always greener in the SEC.

Love,
Little Willy Billy.

Advertisement
Man, I’d hate to have to take Vanderbilt, Missouri’s, and South Carolina’s best shot on a weekly basis. Imagine getting the gators’ best shot. Whatever would any team not in the SEC do?
Man talk about the SEC this and that, and a team like Tennessee can go almost 2 decades without even getting close to beating Bama. Them man act like they don't have Vandy and Miss St and Mizzou. These so called oh they can upset you. Yet they never do any upsetting. When they get smashed but OOC teams, oh its just Mizzou.

In total stated dollars, very possibly. In net present value, I would not be so sure.

I'll give an overly simplistic example, JUST for the math.

Let's say School #1 offers to pay a kid $1M in Y1, $2M in Y2, $3M in Y3, and $4M in Y4, for a total of $10M.

Let's say School #2 offers $3M in Y1, $2M in Y2, $1M in Y3, and $1M in Y4, for a total of $7M.

However, School #2's deal pays the same Y1-Y3 amount, but FASTER. And if a player thinks he will go pro after Y3 (or transfer at any point), then Y4 is completely speculative. If the player transfers after 2 years, School #2 has paid him $5M, while School #1 has only paid him $3M.

So, yes, there are several reasons why "advertised total contract value" is not the only thing to look at, same as NFL contracts with "voidable years" and whatnot.

Hope that helps.

You know what, I never looked at it this way and would 100% take the second offer.

Advertisement
open letter this morning from Billy Napier to Gator Fan base:

5o4o0k.gif

This is so wild. Gapier's vision statement letter wreaks of desperation and damage control....7 months in! If he wants to write that word salad as soon as he started, fine, no big deal. But to write it right after a big recruit battle? Lawd lol Bad look and he is starting to dig his grave.

They are under the mistake impression that they are some kind of blue blood institution, not just in football either.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Hilarious.

As for this "getting back to having Top 5 classes" nonsense, let's review the records.

For the last 21 years, per Rivals (and yes, I am using the one service that has been in continuous operation for the past 21 years), the Gaytors have had exactly SEVEN "Top 5 classes". Four of these were under Urban Meyer.

That means for EVERY OTHER GAYTOR COACH NOT NAMED URBAN MEYER, the Gaytors have had exactly THREE "Top 5 classes", with the last one being TEN YEARS AGO.

The Gaytors had exactly ONE "Top 5 Class" under Ron Zook (2003). The Gaytors had exactly TWO "Top 5 Classes" under Will Muschamp (2012 and 2013).

OTHER THAN THE URBAN MEYER YEARS, a "Top 5 Class" at the University of Florida is VERY RARE, and has not happened in a decade.

But to hear the Gaytors tell it, a "Top 5 Class" is not only their birthright, but it is something easily achievable, if only they can land Jaden Rashada.

Hilarious.

As for this "getting back to having Top 5 classes" nonsense, let's review the records.

For the last 21 years, per Rivals (and yes, I am using the one service that has been in continuous operation for the past 21 years), the Gaytors have had exactly SEVEN "Top 5 classes". Four of these were under Urban Meyer.

That means for EVERY OTHER GAYTOR COACH NOT NAMED URBAN MEYER, the Gaytors have had exactly THREE "Top 5 classes", with the last one being TEN YEARS AGO.

The Gaytors had exactly ONE "Top 5 Class" under Ron Zook (2003). The Gaytors had exactly TWO "Top 5 Classes" under Will Muschamp (2012 and 2013).

OTHER THAN THE URBAN MEYER YEARS, a "Top 5 Class" at the University of Florida is VERY RARE, and has not happened in a decade.

But to hear the Gaytors tell it, a "Top 5 Class" is not only their birthright, but it is something easily achievable, if only they can land Jaden Rashada.
They like to make fun of us by saying we live in the past but if you listen to them, you'd think the Urban Meyer years just ended and it hasn't been 15 years since they've been relevant.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back