Garcia is the best QB on the team

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pretty much everyone agrees Garcia is better than TVD. If King is healthy, he’s a difference maker with his legs and should start. People saying a 75% King is better than Garcia I disagree with completely.
King is not a pocket passer and needs full mobility as a running threat to be effective. If a team can simply contain the edges to stop rollouts and not worry about King taking off up the gut we’re in deep trouble. That would allow them to cut off all the lanes in the slot/over the middle and force King to throw deep outside or in the flat all game. Those are two throws where he struggles with more than others.
Garcia has a better touch on the ball than King. Especially on deep throws. The thing about King is he makes all the right reads and knows the offense in and out. Barring a major setback, he’s the guy. Diaz has already said as much. It’s a moot point to even entertain Garcia starting over King at this point. People quickly forget this team would’ve probably been 500 at best without King last season.

My favorite part about all of this, is just 3 months ago 80% of the board said this kid was not a take, bad stats, weak arm, drama baggage, and future portal guy.

Lmao

Nobody ever said most of this board knew a thing about football.

What I like about Garcia is how quickly he picks things up. Now can he master one when he stays somewhere more than six months or a year, that's the question. Quick study for sure.

I knew somebody would try and pull this shït. Garcia looked great and his future is very bright. He’s not better than D’Eriq King though.

That being said I love our QB room. Will finally be a strength going forward.

King is a better runner and Garcia is a better pure passer.

We've got Bama next though and unless King isn't absolutely 100 percent, he's the starter. Too many reasons why that is.

King was perfect for what we needed last year. He is amazing with his feet, but leaves a lot to be desired passing the ball. He certainly could use some help in protection and some better guys on the receiving end of his throws.

King has it though as long as he's healthy. Garcia fits what Lashlee has had success with in the past and is the future.

Advertisement
King doesn't stretch the field.
Again that was against a non-existent pass rush that couldn’t hit Garcia. Did he stretch the field when he was in? Yes. Does he still have a lot to learn? Yes. It’s King’s team if he’s healthy. And watch him do much better year #2 in Lashlee’s offense. It takes WR’s catching balls too. I think we’ll see both units play much better in 2021 than last year.

Bama will look like the Clemson game. Garcia is good insurance if King gets injured against Bama. I still don’t think our Oline is ready for Bama game one. King and Garcia would have a great shot at the rest of the schedule and the Oline will improve. But game one? King and pray for him. Brave dude.
The only dudes in my opinion that’s gonna block anybody are Zion and Jarrid. Which btw isn’t good because they’re a 3-4 front which means the big guys are gonna get to King.

Since when D’Eriq cannot make every college level throw? Since when did D’Eriq lose the ability to make big time throws in the pocket?

Some of yall are making **** up and running with it. Y’all better stop slandering the best QB we’ve had in 2 decades just because of a **** scrimmage smh

Advertisement
I’ve refrained from giving any opinions on Garcia and TVD until today. I wanted to see how they played in the Spring Game, and how they looked in different facets of the game before giving an educated opinion. No emotions involved in this for me. Just pure analysis.

1. I’ll start with both QB’s throwing motion.

Garcia looks smooth, and possesses a very natural and smooth throwing motion. Has a very quick release. Throws an accurate ball with zip and good timing.

TVD has a pronounced hitch at the top of his throwing motion. Does not look as natural or polished a passer as Garcia. Threw off of his back foot way too many times. Did not seem to set his feet well, especially when feeling the heat from the D.

2. Attacking style vs. Game manager

Garcia to me put a lot more pressure on the D down the seams and up the middle in the intermediate and long passing game. For all the talk of him not possessing a big arm, he actually looked like he had more zip on the ball than TVD. Also thought that he looked accurate, especially for a true freshman.

TVD looks more like a game manager to me. Will get rid of the ball quickly with the short game. Will occasionally challenge the defense with a deep out. Overall looked tentative and did not finish off a lot of his throws.

3. Pocket Awareness

Garcia showed a natural instinct at feeling the rush and moving laterally while in the pocket. Also took a hit on a 4th & 12, and still completed a strike for a 1st down up the middle of the field. Is a quick learner and throws his receivers open. Didn’t seem to make the same mistake twice.

TVD seemed to get caught up in the rush a few times, which caused him to not finish off his throws strongly. Had the one really nice fade pass to Restrepo for a TD, but even on that completion he was throwing off of his back foot. He also looked a bit plodding at times. Not as quick as I would like our starting QB to be.

4. Confidence

At first glance, Garcia seems to possess a lot of confidence, and it shows in his game. He’s not afraid to put pressure on the D, and seems to have a good command of the offense for such a young player.

It’s tough to grade TVD on this one, as he seemed confident out there. The drawback to me is that he seemed to go to his first short and safe throw way too often. Reminded me a bit of Tua with the Dolphins this past season. It’s hard to score lots of points and put pressure on the opposing D when your QB does not consistently attack in the intermediate and long passing game.

Overall I’d say that at this point, Garcia has a sizable lead after the Spring session.

TVD will have a chance to look at film and work hard to improve on his game. Nothing is yet decided. But having watched high level football for almost 4 decades, I usually go with what my eyes see. At this point, Garcia would be my choice.

King is a heck of a player and competitor. We’ll see if he can somehow make it back 100% healthy for the ‘Baga game.

Last edited:
The real intangible is the mental part of playing QB. So far, it's hard to know how much Lashlee trusts Garcia in that aspect. As for TVD, it's been said he's really smart and he mentioned himself yesterday being more comfortable recognizing defense and changing protections. That's important. Both TVD and Garcia can make the throws ; it's the rest of the job that remains to be seen.

I also think you cannot diminish the advantage Garcia has coming off playing in highly competitive games up until he enrolled on campus. TVD has essentially not played in a real game for probably close to 18 months at this point.

They both have a lot of positives.

Advertisement
Don’t you know? This is CIS where the backup is ALWAYS better than the starter. Our second team would wax Alabama. Our starters, not so much.

Seriously though, Garcia does have some nice traits that can really help him be an impact quarterback. His pocket awareness for a freshman is light years ahead of most college kids. He is determined to climb the pocket and keep a good base while keeping his eyes down field. His first instinct when pressured is to slide up or to the side and not just immediately start rolling out. Which is great for a guy who isn’t quick and probably won’t be running all that much. But of course it’s easier to hang in the pocket in practice when you know you can’t get hit. He still held the ball a little too long on a few plays that ended up being sacks. I won’t crown him the best quarterback on the team after watching one practice game but there’s a lot to like there

I like the way you frame that take. Im of the opinion that we lose Lashlee after this season. Maybe Garcia (and having TVD) might be something that entices him to stick around for a couple more years.
I don’t think there’s much chance of him being here after this season but it at least gives Likens or whoever the next OC is a strong starting point at QB.

The real intangible is the mental part of playing QB. So far, it's hard to know how much Lashlee trusts Garcia in that aspect. As for TVD, it's been said he's really smart and he mentioned himself yesterday being more comfortable recognizing defense and changing protections. That's important. Both TVD and Garcia can make the throws ; it's the rest of the job that remains to be seen.

I also think you cannot diminish the advantage Garcia has coming off playing in highly competitive games up until he enrolled on campus. TVD has essentially not played in a real game for probably close to 18 months at this point.

They both have a lot of positives.
I loved watching Lashlee getting all over Garcia’s *** on the sideline and he took the coaching and moved forward. Showed me that he won’t fold when things get intense.

I'll tell you this the way Garcia was moving in the pocket stepping into throws and drooping dimes 30 And 40 yards Away shows confidence and awareness that Kosi or Jarren never showed

Advertisement
Back