Gainesville Sports Radio

[video=youtube;3I0K-ymOTS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0K-ymOTS4[/video]

Advertisement
I work in Gainesville and listen to the local sports radio station at lunch and on the commute home. Even though its a Gator station and I expect homers for both the callers and host, most of the time I enjoy the chatter. Yesterday that changed, they brought up the Miami/Gator game which lead to the discussion of "Is Miami ever going to be back" conversation. That quickly escalated into the host saying that Mark Richt was a terrible hire that has no chance of ever winning anything meaningful and if we couldn't win with Randy Shannon who, in his words was the "perfect" coach for us we'll never win. They went on to say how Miami is now destined to be a 7-5 team from here out. I wanted to drive to the station and punch those fools in the mouth, they were all over Randy being in Gainesville now and how great of a recruiter he is and said that he has the "head coach" swag.

They work and live in Gainesville. Their argument is invalid.

I work in Gainesville and listen to the local sports radio station at lunch and on the commute home. Even though its a Gator station and I expect homers for both the callers and host, most of the time I enjoy the chatter. Yesterday that changed, they brought up the Miami/Gator game which lead to the discussion of "Is Miami ever going to be back" conversation. That quickly escalated into the host saying that Mark Richt was a terrible hire that has no chance of ever winning anything meaningful and if we couldn't win with Randy Shannon who, in his words was the "perfect" coach for us we'll never win. They went on to say how Miami is now destined to be a 7-5 team from here out. I wanted to drive to the station and punch those fools in the mouth, they were all over Randy being in Gainesville now and how great of a recruiter he is and said that he has the "head coach" swag.

If you saw that ****pile of a team they lined up for a spring game you'd be suffering from delirium too!

How bad was their spring game? (I never bothered to check, lol. I live 50 minutes from that dung heap and get my fill of their cultist every f/n day at work.)

Advertisement
why do we care when these inbred fuggers express their inbred opinions?

All that matters is that we got that W last time and looking forward to gator poboys in 2019. fug that skool

I do agree, the administration didn't do Randy Shannon any favors. However, it still doesn't explain Randy's many other shortcomings as a head coach. He was not ready for a HC job then, and I doubt he is now. He's just not a head coach. Nothing wrong with that, unless you've got a HC job.
Randy Shannon couldn't win here because he didn't know the difference between a timeout and a turkey sandwich.
In their words, Randy is a Miami guy that had all the local relationships and had a Miami pedigree, if he couldn't do it no one can.. WTF??

Randy Shannon couldn't win here because he had no staff support, or money to get better staffers. In addition, hard to say if he even knew who to go out and get (if he did have the funding) because his whole coaching career was spent in Miami (Miami Hurricanes, Miami Dolphins, Cane as a Player, Miami Norland for High School). Only his NFL playing career was spent outside of Miami.

What short comings? Nick Saban surrounds himself with people that he expects to be phenomenal...
Clemson has a top DC and a top OC and tons of support staffers to copy Bama
Urban goes out and gets the best coaches he can...
LSU? They just snatched up who they think is a good DC

At NO POINT in Shannon's HC career did he have a good OC. You just plain can't do it all as a HC...You need the full package. Doesn't make it any better that he is 100% a defensive guy his whole career.
The only thing that can be said about Shannon that is on him, is burning relationship bridges...Aside from that, what quality OC do you expect a guy who has been confined to 1 city to be able to grab? Especially on a low budge and his first gig....People even try to bring up the Shapiro crap as a negative against Shannon when the reality is Shannon hated Shapiro and TOLD his players to stay away from him...and that **** happened before he got there (along with while he was there, not dodging that).

Wtf man? Hiring a good OC IS HIS JOB. Also winning. So basically, he sucked.

I remember calling a gainesville sports show in 2001 before the Canes beat the s**t out of the Gaytes.

The host was insistent that Taylor Jacobs was better than Andre Johnson.

Lol.

While I don't like it, I can see where the radio host was coming from.

The facts bear out... Miami HAS pretty much been a 7-5 team for the past decade and a half... why would anyone not from Miami believe that would suddenly change? Because of a head coach? Sorry, but if you put Nick Saban at Kentucky, they're still gonna be Kentucky.

There's only so much a coach can do.

So I can see where they're coming from. Also, Randy Shannon is a true Cane from the old days and gets an undeserved bad rap around here. If he had a better QB, he would of won more games in Miami. Before you crown Mark Richt wait for him to show something on the field IMO

Don't expect any respect until we've actually won some meaningful games on the field IMO that's the point

I'm sorry but you are just dead wrong. Put Saban at Kentucky and I guarantee you they become a much better program. Just look at our basketball team. What were we before Laranaga?

Head coach means everything.

Advertisement
If you're in the Gainesville area @mjl7atlas @Cribby @Cane Kenny you should listen to the Big Boy Radio morning show with Adam Reardon [MENTION=559]radiocane[/MENTION] . He's a huge Canes fan who posts on this board.

I'm on every Thursday at 8:30 to talk Canes.

If you're in the Gainesville area @mjl7atlas @Cribby @Cane Kenny you should listen to the Big Boy Radio morning show with Adam Reardon [MENTION=559]radiocane[/MENTION] . He's a huge Canes fan who posts on this board.

I'm on every Thursday at 8:30 to talk Canes.

That's the one show I did listen to, I remember one of them was a Cane fan. If memory recalls Doering was on the show at one time.

Even after I quit listening i'd click on your links you posted when you were on there

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was once up there visiting a friend that was dumb enough to go to that hellhole for grad school. This was during Teblow's senior season. They filled a solid hour of radio one day having a "serious" discussion about if Tebow right then was better than Ben Roethlisberger the NFL QB. People were calling in and having serious debate as to how the Steelers offense would be more dynamic right then if Teblows was the QB or how the Gayturd's offense would actually be less effective right then if Roethlisberger in his current freaking NFL state was allowed to QB their team. The level of discourse was probably on par with something that you'd either hear on North Korean state television or in the meetings of a hardcore religious cult.

I think they should have kept Mushump around a little longer. He was just about to get that thing turned around.

Al Golden is undefeated against the gators.

This isn't just Gator fans, though. I remember many top coaches being interviewed about Michael Vick sometime around 1999. Pattern, Bowden, and a few others. They were asked if they'd take Michael Vick or Dan Marino in his prime. They ALL said Vick. Now, I liked Vick as a player, but can you imagine Dan Marino tearing apart a college secondary as a 27 year old pro? People all get caught up in what is hot at the moment. Had they said Vick or a college Marino, I can see them saying Vick. But Marino in his prime??? Seriously? Can you imagine the 1999-2000 FSU team with Dan Marino instead of Chris Weinke? Holy ****....
I was once up there visiting a friend that was dumb enough to go to that hellhole for grad school. This was during Teblow's senior season. They filled a solid hour of radio one day having a "serious" discussion about if Tebow right then was better than Ben Roethlisberger the NFL QB. People were calling in and having serious debate as to how the Steelers offense would be more dynamic right then if Teblows was the QB or how the Gayturd's offense would actually be less effective right then if Roethlisberger in his current freaking NFL state was allowed to QB their team. The level of discourse was probably on par with something that you'd either hear on North Korean state television or in the meetings of a hardcore religious cult.

Advertisement
I think they should have kept Mushump around a little longer. He was just about to get that thing turned around.

Seriously? Muscamp had a virtually identical record to Shannon and golden despite taking over a far better situation than either of them did. Muschamp took over for Urban Meyer who won 2 national titles and by year 3 Muscamp was 4-8. The SEC East division was pretty weak in Muschamp's tenure too, no better than the ACC. I think Muschamp is an even worse coach than any of Miami's recent coaches. No matter how awful they both were, Shannon and golden never lost to a Ga Southern type opponent. How Muschamp got the SCAR job is mind boggling.

Last edited:

Seriously? Muscamp had a virtually identical record to Shannon and golden despite taking over a far better situation than either of them did. Muschamp took over for Urban Meyer who won 2 national titles and by year 3 Muscamp was 4-8. The SEC East division was pretty weak in Muschamp's tenure too, no better than the ACC. I think Muschamp is an even worse coach than any of Miami's recent coaches. No matter how awful they both were, Shannon and golden never lost to a Ga Southern type opponent. How Muschamp got the SCAR job is mind boggling.

Well if not Muschump, at least they could have brought back Ron Zook. Boy could that guy recruit!

Advertisement
Back