Gainesville Sports Radio

even with awful coaches like golden and coker miami has beaten the gators even randy shannon had the game within reach at half time against their best team ever in 08 while playing a bunch of freshmen. Even if they believe richt is a bad hire they shouldnt feel over confident in beating miami

Advertisement
What shortcomings? I'll start with his inability to understand the use of timeouts, one of the most basic tools a coach has at his disposal. I thought, hoped, the Cal game was an anomaly, but it was not. He routinely was out of timeouts before the start of the second and fourth quarters. Remember how Whipple was tearing into him on the sideline after Randy called a timeout for no apparent reason? Embarrassing. Also, his recruiting was atrocious. His player development was even worse. How many first round draft picks did Randy recruit or develop? He fractured relationships, ran bad camps, and simply did about as much wrong as a coach could possibly do. Also, don't forget, he was a part of a failed program before he was promoted to HC. It's absolutely no coincidence his team 4 years in looked just like Larry Coker's towards the end. Terrible roster, lazy players, and a dumpster fire blazing.

I will give Randy credit for one thing. He did his darned best to keep Nevin Shapiro away from his players. Gotta hand it to him there, he had that guy pegged. Because of Randy Shannon, we possibly avoided a much, much worse situation.

Also, Mark Whipple wasn't a bad OC at all. He just didn't have a heck of a lot to work with. But again, I do agree with you that the administration didn't exactly break the bank for assistant coaches. Why would they when they dug their head coach out of the bottom of the bargain bin?
I do agree, the administration didn't do Randy Shannon any favors. However, it still doesn't explain Randy's many other shortcomings as a head coach. He was not ready for a HC job then, and I doubt he is now. He's just not a head coach. Nothing wrong with that, unless you've got a HC job.
Randy Shannon couldn't win here because he didn't know the difference between a timeout and a turkey sandwich.
In their words, Randy is a Miami guy that had all the local relationships and had a Miami pedigree, if he couldn't do it no one can.. WTF??

Randy Shannon couldn't win here because he had no staff support, or money to get better staffers. In addition, hard to say if he even knew who to go out and get (if he did have the funding) because his whole coaching career was spent in Miami (Miami Hurricanes, Miami Dolphins, Cane as a Player, Miami Norland for High School). Only his NFL playing career was spent outside of Miami.

What short comings? Nick Saban surrounds himself with people that he expects to be phenomenal...
Clemson has a top DC and a top OC and tons of support staffers to copy Bama
Urban goes out and gets the best coaches he can...
LSU? They just snatched up who they think is a good DC

At NO POINT in Shannon's HC career did he have a good OC. You just plain can't do it all as a HC...You need the full package. Doesn't make it any better that he is 100% a defensive guy his whole career.
The only thing that can be said about Shannon that is on him, is burning relationship bridges...Aside from that, what quality OC do you expect a guy who has been confined to 1 city to be able to grab? Especially on a low budge and his first gig....People even try to bring up the Shapiro crap as a negative against Shannon when the reality is Shannon hated Shapiro and TOLD his players to stay away from him...and that **** happened before he got there (along with while he was there, not dodging that).

In all fairness, Randy was not ready for prime time.

Randy had crap for money to hire coaches.

UM screwed us. Screwed Randy.

Donna was a walking - correction, waddling disaster.

In all fairness, Randy was not ready for prime time.

Randy had crap for money to hire coaches.

UM screwed us. UM screwed Randy.

Donna was a walking - correction, waddling disaster.

Advertisement
Maybe Miami has been a 7-5 program because they were cheap, hiring bum after bum. There's a reason Randy can't even get a DC gig anymore.

I work in Gainesville and listen to the local sports radio station at lunch and on the commute home. Even though its a Gator station and I expect homers for both the callers and host, most of the time I enjoy the chatter. Yesterday that changed, they brought up the Miami/Gator game which lead to the discussion of "Is Miami ever going to be back" conversation. That quickly escalated into the host saying that Mark Richt was a terrible hire that has no chance of ever winning anything meaningful and if we couldn't win with Randy Shannon who, in his words was the "perfect" coach for us we'll never win. They went on to say how Miami is now destined to be a 7-5 team from here out. I wanted to drive to the station and punch those fools in the mouth, they were all over Randy being in Gainesville now and how great of a recruiter he is and said that he has the "head coach" swag.

I'm trying to find an explanation for this statement that doesn't involve racism. In what possible way is randy a perfect coach for anyone?
is Unkle Luke running that station?? With that statement, he has to be

Aren't there stadium issues or uniform fashion ******ry to talk about other than hillbilly radio and Randy Shannon?

Randy Shannon was not a good head coach at the time he was the head coach at Miami. End of story. It is nearly impossible to think otherwise.

Advertisement
Well if you look at their recruiting they have like 4 guys and 3 of them are from Miami, the area of Lakeland, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville has always been their area yet they getting raped by Fsu and Clemson lately, I think they better worry about not getting beat down like Michigan did them and take care of their own area.

****, the year Golden beat the mighty gator we won 9 games. It took some really, really crappy coaching to hold this team to 8 wins.
You tell dem muther ****ers that Miami won 8 games last year. 7-5 my ***.

Advertisement
My question is, Why don't you Sirius so you don't have to listen to local radio, especially sports radio in gainesville! Think about their listening area and audience, towns like High Springs, Williston, Lake City, Starke, Waldo, Newberry, Hawthorne, Lake Butle, Raiford (looking at map of the area). What do you think the audience in those open minded metropolitan hubs of culture would want to hear? The huntin and fishin host is probably the highest paid personality.

hey Cane Kenny I live near Gainesville too and listen to all their BS but let me tell you we could kick their a__ right now but they really screwed up by scheduling us in 19 GO CANES!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I live in Gainesville and haven't listened this local crap in years.

Op you need podcast one or at least some sport apps. Nobody should have to listen to any homer radio, it all disgusts me.

While I don't like it, I can see where the radio host was coming from.

The facts bear out... Miami HAS pretty much been a 7-5 team for the past decade and a half... why would anyone not from Miami believe that would suddenly change? Because of a head coach? Sorry, but if you put Nick Saban at Kentucky, they're still gonna be Kentucky.

There's only so much a coach can do.

So I can see where they're coming from. Also, Randy Shannon is a true Cane from the old days and gets an undeserved bad rap around here. If he had a better QB, he would of won more games in Miami. Before you crown Mark Richt wait for him to show something on the field IMO

Don't expect any respect until we've actually won some meaningful games on the field IMO that's the point

Lmao the bum who starts a Bryd thread says this... Not unexpected
Lol the thread is gone now

Last edited:
I work in Gainesville and listen to the local sports radio station at lunch and on the commute home. Even though its a Gator station and I expect homers for both the callers and host, most of the time I enjoy the chatter. Yesterday that changed, they brought up the Miami/Gator game which lead to the discussion of "Is Miami ever going to be back" conversation. That quickly escalated into the host saying that Mark Richt was a terrible hire that has no chance of ever winning anything meaningful and if we couldn't win with Randy Shannon who, in his words was the "perfect" coach for us we'll never win. They went on to say how Miami is now destined to be a 7-5 team from here out. I wanted to drive to the station and punch those fools in the mouth, they were all over Randy being in Gainesville now and how great of a recruiter he is and said that he has the "head coach" swag.

So, U*** loses 7 of the last 8 meetings with UM, including the last game in 2013 to what amounted to a Temple quality coached team....and they are beating their chests about how UM will never be back and what a failure Richt will be because he struggled with UF at UGA?

Quite frankly, I can't even comprehend the bafoonery. What the **** does it mean for them if we aren't "back" as it relates specifically to playing U***?

UM

Advertisement
Back