FSU

They're only a 3 point dog to NC State on the road this week. I was surprised to see the line that low. Saturday is a huge game for them. NC State is ranked, FSU never plays well in Raleigh, and Clemson is looming. You're right, 4-0 turning to 4-3 in 3 weeks would suck all the momentum out of them. But getting through the first 7 games at 5-2 is a major win for them.

HUGE matchup this week. Would be nice to see NCSU beat them 41-10.
Completely agree; you're 100% right on. I think NCSU is their best chance to pull out a win. 5-2 going into the bye would be a big accomplishment. Clemson is going to demolish them @ Doak. NCSU has won the last 4 out of 5, and I think they'll be amped up to play. They lost to Clemson, but they have an extremely physical defense that will push around FSU. If FSU couldn't get the ball moving against Wake's 72nd-ranked defense, I think they will have a hard time against NCSU's top 15 defense.

On the flip side, NCSU's offense hasn't looked great, and FSU has some guys on that side of the ball. We'll see what happens, but our fortunes could change very quickly over the next few weeks.

Advertisement
They're only a 3 point dog to NC State on the road this week. I was surprised to see the line that low. Saturday is a huge game for them. NC State is ranked, FSU never plays well in Raleigh, and Clemson is looming. You're right, 4-0 turning to 4-3 in 3 weeks would suck all the momentum out of them. But getting through the first 7 games at 5-2 is a major win for them.

HUGE matchup this week. Would be nice to see NCSU beat them 41-10.
I hope NC State destroys them. State needs to score early to feed off the emotion of the crowd. Then the place will become a cauldron. I need FSU to just collapse.

No, they just see improvement. They're looking at it from a micro point of view. They suffered through a bad Jimbo team in 2017, all the turmoil that came with him leaving, Willie was obviously a complete disaster in 2018, 2019 was just as bad and they fired him, 2020 they lose to Miami 52-10, but last year they were at least competitive compared to the last few years, and this year they start the season 4-0.

So, like most fans, they can't see the forest for the trees. Mike has improved the program since he took over. No doubt about it, they're a better team and much better coached now than they were in 2018, 2019, and 2020. But what's his ceiling as a coach? You can't win anything of note if you recruit in the 20's. You just can't. It's an indisputable fact. And he's not a great recruiter, so that side of the house isn't going to change much. I've said it since the day he was hired, and nothing has changed, in my opinion. He's a high floor, low ceiling coach.
Dan Mullenish

Advertisement
I’ve been trying to explain to Criminole fans these last couple of weeks that their team was akin to a **** covered in whipped cream. “Oh we’re 4-0 yadda yadda”, but if you actually watch them they are not a good team. They should have 3 losses already and I’m predicting they will lose to NC State, Clemson, Miami, Syracuse, and Florida. Norvell is now 12-14 in ACC play.
They are similar to the best teams Shannon and Golden fielded. Start hot, then the national media says you're back then by mid season you're back playing on ESPN U at noon staring a toilet bowl invite. At least they get to bowl game this year. Progress.

No, they just see improvement. They're looking at it from a micro point of view. They suffered through a bad Jimbo team in 2017, all the turmoil that came with him leaving, Willie was obviously a complete disaster in 2018, 2019 was just as bad and they fired him, 2020 they lose to Miami 52-10, but last year they were at least competitive compared to the last few years, and this year they start the season 4-0.

So, like most fans, they can't see the forest for the trees. Mike has improved the program since he took over. No doubt about it, they're a better team and much better coached now than they were in 2018, 2019, and 2020. But what's his ceiling as a coach? You can't win anything of note if you recruit in the 20's. You just can't. It's an indisputable fact. And he's not a great recruiter, so that side of the house isn't going to change much. I've said it since the day he was hired, and nothing has changed, in my opinion. He's a high floor, low ceiling coach.
He's really good at scheming opening offensive drives. I gotta give him that.

The guy is super awkward. And some of his late game strategies are questionable (ND last year, LSU this year, and halftime against wake)

Advertisement
Lost in the fspoo love here is last weekend was homecoming and they had to give away thousands of tix to get a sellout…🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Lost in the fspoo love here is last weekend was homecoming and they had to give away thousands of tix to get a sellout…🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

They postponed pretty much all homecoming activities due to the storm. And they gave away tickets to anyone who was impacted by the storm.

Huge fan of the FSU tears threads. Lots of reasons to laugh at them. Enjoy wallowing in their misery more than just about anything else. But laughing at them giving tickets away to people who were crushed by a Cat 5 hurricane ain't really it.

Back to regularly scheduled trolling, I really like NC State -3 this week, if you can find it. I saw it pretty quickly went to -3.5, if it drops back to -3, I'm going to jump on it. I think NC State has a really good defense who will be able to give FSU problems, and the FSU defense is pretty bad. NC State's offense isn't great, but I trust them vs the FSU defense more than I trust FSU's offense vs their defense. Give me NC State at home, 30-23.

One final thought there, FSU's kicker is complete toast. He missed another easy kick last week, and Norvell wouldn't even let him kick extra points the rest of the game. Then, for good measure, just to completely obliterate the kid's confidence even more and throw it into a wood chipper, he trotted him out for a 50 yarder in the last minute of the game, which the kid promptly missed. NC State's kicker is 7-7 on field goals this year and 15-15 on extra points. In a close game, that could prove to be huge.

Advertisement
They postponed pretty much all homecoming activities due to the storm. And they gave away tickets to anyone who was impacted by the storm.

Huge fan of the FSU tears threads. Lots of reasons to laugh at them. Enjoy wallowing in their misery more than just about anything else. But laughing at them giving tickets away to people who were crushed by a Cat 5 hurricane ain't really it.

Back to regularly scheduled trolling, I really like NC State -3 this week, if you can find it. I saw it pretty quickly went to -3.5, if it drops back to -3, I'm going to jump on it. I think NC State has a really good defense who will be able to give FSU problems, and the FSU defense is pretty bad. NC State's offense isn't great, but I trust them vs the FSU defense more than I trust FSU's offense vs their defense. Give me NC State at home, 30-23.

One final thought there, FSU's kicker is complete toast. He missed another easy kick last week, and Norvell wouldn't even let him kick extra points the rest of the game. Then, for good measure, just to completely obliterate the kid's confidence even more and throw it into a wood chipper, he trotted him out for a 50 yarder in the last minute of the game, which the kid promptly missed. NC State's kicker is 7-7 on field goals this year and 15-15 on extra points. In a close game, that could prove to be huge.

Just asking but.....I dont think the storm really affected the panhandle/tallahassee area much and i dont even think alot of ppl evacuated to that area in the first place. Good gesture by them but i really dont see the connection.

Just asking but.....I dont think the storm really affected the panhandle/tallahassee area much and i dont even think alot of ppl evacuated to that area in the first place. Good gesture by them but i really dont see the connection.

A lot of their fans travel from areas that were. Especially for what was supposed to be homecoming.

A lot of their fans travel from areas that were. Especially for what was supposed to be homecoming.

This makes sense. I thought Doak looked a less full than I'd expect for a top 25 match up. Lower sidelines were full, but end zones and some other areas looked sparse when they'd pan out.

Advertisement

big facts

We’ve seen this firsthand you would think our fans would understand

I’m actually convinced it’s just some sort of limp wristed coping mechanism our fans have

Norvell is trying to undo a MOUNTAIN of bull**** there

He’s a solid coach but I dunno if he can pull that off

Feels very Richt-esque (to try to put it into some kind of us perspective)

This makes sense. I thought Doak looked a less full than I'd expect for a top 25 match up. Lower sidelines were full, but end zones and some other areas looked sparse when they'd pan out.

Correct. They gave tickets away to anyone who had a valid Florida ID, but of course asked that people NOT impacted by the storm to not abuse it and take tickets. The idea was that anyone who had evacuated and were staying anywhere close could come to the game for free since they knew they weren't going to sell the tickets they expected. Was a nice gesture, and even nicer of them to lose to a school with the enrollment of Cypress Bay High School.

Pretty fair take.

I've watched a fair amount of FSU because they're almost always on local tv down here. I try to be objective and not a hater. My thoughts:

Pros
Overall, they are definitely improved.
Travis has improved significantly as a passer.
They move the ball well on offense. They can sustain drives. Travis has a great ability to extend plays. His elusiveness avoids what oftentime look like negative plays.
Did a good job in the portal. Verse is a player.

Cons
Line play is still suspect as ****.
Travis still has accuracy issues and has a WTF moment each game.
Like us, very little high-end talent on the team, particularly on offense. Isn't their primary RB a former walk on?
Credit to Norvell and staff for improving the team, but I don't see a guy that is capable of anything more than 7-5, 8-4 yearly. I don't think he can get FSU to where it wants to be, unless he just has absolute hits recruiting and gets the generational players (like the Jameis and Dalvins of the world).
Probably should have lost to UL and they're lucky LSU was in game 1.

Pretty fair take.

I've watched a fair amount of FSU because they're almost always on local tv down here. I try to be objective and not a hater. My thoughts:

Pros
Overall, they are definitely improved.
Travis has improved significantly as a passer.
They move the ball well on offense. They can sustain drives. Travis has a great ability to extend plays. His elusiveness avoids what oftentime look like negative plays.
Did a good job in the portal. Verse is a player.

Cons
Line play is still suspect as ****.
Travis still has accuracy issues and has a WTF moment each game.
Like us, very little high-end talent on the team, particularly on offense. Isn't their primary RB a former walk on?
Credit to Norvell and staff for improving the team, but I don't see a guy that is capable of anything more than 7-5, 8-4 yearly. I don't think he can get FSU to where it wants to be, unless he just has absolute hits recruiting and gets the generational players (like the Jameis and Dalvins of the world).
Probably should have lost to UL and they're lucky LSU was in game 1.

Agree with this as well. And yes, Treshaun Ward started his career as a walk-on, but is obviously now on scholarship and is a pretty solid player. Probably a testament to Norvell and Atkins and their system. Ward actually led the ACC in yards per carry last year, believe it or not. He didn't have a ton of carries, but he had enough to qualify for the official leaders, and he was #1. And he's averaging 6.5 YPC this year as well, again. Their backs are the strength of the team, for sure.

Advertisement
Back