FSU offense

I
The FSU boards are saying the same crap about UM...UM lost Njoku, Coley, Isadora on O and the entire starting secondary on D. I do not believe the secondary will be as good as last year at UM simply because they haven't played together. Talent wise I think it's similar. The problem with not playing together is that Um will end up giving up a few more big plays than last season. I also think UM will create more turnovers this season because the Dline is up there with any team ever. Now, on offense losing Isadora isn't that big of a deal if Donaldson steps up. I think FSU has a bigger loss on the OL with Johnson. Losing Coley is bigger than losing Rudolph. Rudolph was a classic overrated FSU WR we see time and time again. He isn't athletic (look at the combine numbers) and has a strange body type for football. Coley made big time plays in big time games. UM fans are hoping Thomas, Harley, Mullins and Cager are going to make up for the loses of Coley and Njoku. That's a big maybe by game 3. I get a chubby thinking about 4 going 80 yards on those Noles but he's a true frosh. Richards had 4 catches for 50 something yards last year against FSU.

Let's look at matchups and key losses...

1) Coley bigger loss than Rudolph +1 FSU
2) Cook bigger loss than Yearby/Gus +4 UM
3) Johnson bigger loss than Isadora +1 UM
4) Walker loss +2 UM
5) Njoku loss +2 FSU
6) FSU gets back James +3 FSU
7) UM gets back Cager + 1 UM
8) UM loss entire secondary + 2 FSU

FSU OL vs UM DL advantage UM
FSU DL vs UM OL advantage FSU (FSU will have a healthy Sweat and depth)
FSU RBs vs. UM LBs advantage UM (UM finally has depth and experience)
FSU LB's vs UM RB's equal (UMs lacks depth and FSU returns all starters)
FSU WRs vs UMs Sec. equal (New starters everywhere on both teams)
FSU Sec vs. UMs WRs equal (FSU has depth at CB and James, UM has Richards but loses Coley, can the Frosh/Cager/Mullins step up?)
FSU QB vs UM QB advantage FSU
Special Teams equal (UM better on returns but unknown at Punter)

On paper this match up is pretty equal no matter how you look at it.

Njoku is an excellent talent no doubt. However chris herndon will step right in and produce just as much

That's why I only gave it a +2 instead of a 3.

Advertisement
Rivalry game, bruh. None of that matters. They will come to play.

I keep hearing this, and I agree to an extent. They will come to play, and so will we. The intensity amplifies. We will be the underdog going in there but its a rivalry game- anything can happen.

This will be a defensive struggle all the way through. Both D's will come to play. The O's wont magically be better in week 3 simply because its a rivalry game. The team that makes the fewest mistakes, and possibly has the ball last wins. That simple. I think our D will be well prepared to hold this game all night long. If the O can get a few first downs, avoid 3 and outs and TOs, we can play the field position all night long and take it late.

People forget, we've had the lead against them 3 years in a row and have failed to get it done. You can't overlook any aspect of this rivalry, and Jimbo's track record in these games is a huge advantage. Actually, it's the biggest. He's done everything from blow us out to come from behind. My fear is that Richt enters the game trying to protect his team, especially his quarterback from getting blownout. That is the biggest mistake coaches make-- playing too keep it close vs. playing to win is a terrible message to send any team-- young or not.
Who really coaches a team to protect them in our biggest rivalry?.... come on now golden is not the coach anymore smfh. The caliber of our defense and playmakers wouldn't allow it. This Fsu team shouldn't scare anyone.... cook and winston are gone

And before that this board said the same thing about freeman. FSU has talent all over the depth chart when are you guys going to realize that and stop pumping up player like Walton as if he is a elite player
He's better than any back they have returning from last year roster. Akers is talented but I'm not going to prop him up to be as good or better than cook though without playing a down. Only position where fsu has an overwhelming talent advantage is at db and the depth at running back. Everywhere else it's either a wash or in Miami's favor

Thats my point though. Anyone on the depth chart was behind cook - doesn't mean they arent talented. Blame the refs all you want but Walton did nothing last year and that was with Kaaya as a experienced QB.

QB a wash? Francois isnt Joe Montana but using your own logic with RB - no matter who starts they are automatically worse cause he played in 2016.

People forget, we've had the lead against them 3 years in a row and have failed to get it done. You can't overlook any aspect of this rivalry, and Jimbo's track record in these games is a huge advantage. Actually, it's the biggest. He's done everything from blow us out to come from behind. My fear is that Richt enters the game trying to protect his team, especially his quarterback from getting blownout. That is the biggest mistake coaches make-- playing too keep it close vs. playing to win is a terrible message to send any team-- young or not.
Who really coaches a team to protect them in our biggest rivalry?.... come on now golden is not the coach anymore smfh. The caliber of our defense and playmakers wouldn't allow it. This Fsu team shouldn't scare anyone.... cook and winston are gone

And before that this board said the same thing about freeman. FSU has talent all over the depth chart when are you guys going to realize that and stop pumping up player like Walton as if he is a elite player
He's better than any back they have returning from last year roster. Akers is talented but I'm not going to prop him up to be as good or better than cook though without playing a down. Only position where fsu has an overwhelming talent advantage is at db and the depth at running back. Everywhere else it's either a wash or in Miami's favor

Thats my point though. Anyone on the depth chart was behind cook - doesn't mean they arent talented. Blame the refs all you want but Walton did nothing last year and that was with Kaaya as a experienced QB.

QB a wash? Francois isnt Joe Montana but using your own logic with RB - no matter who starts they are automatically worse cause he played in 2016.

Oh yeah forgot to add their starting qb to my post. My bad they have that edge too.

Walton had 43 yards receiving to go with his 40 yard rushing and also a 47 yard touchdown called back too on a phantom holding clal

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimbo will have the Noles ready for us. Always has. Some of you are putting way too much stock into Cook.

Too much stock into Cook? He has essentially beaten us single-handedly the past two years, at least as far as their offense is concerned. They will do very little against our defense this season. Akers will be good, but only third game of the season so he will not fill Cook's shoes like many FSU fans are hoping.

Last edited:
The FSU boards are saying the same crap about UM...UM lost Njoku, Coley, Isadora on O and the entire starting secondary on D. I do not believe the secondary will be as good as last year at UM simply because they haven't played together. Talent wise I think it's similar. The problem with not playing together is that Um will end up giving up a few more big plays than last season. I also think UM will create more turnovers this season because the Dline is up there with any team ever. Now, on offense losing Isadora isn't that big of a deal if Donaldson steps up. I think FSU has a bigger loss on the OL with Johnson. Losing Coley is bigger than losing Rudolph. Rudolph was a classic overrated FSU WR we see time and time again. He isn't athletic (look at the combine numbers) and has a strange body type for football. Coley made big time plays in big time games. UM fans are hoping Thomas, Harley, Mullins and Cager are going to make up for the loses of Coley and Njoku. That's a big maybe by game 3. I get a chubby thinking about 4 going 80 yards on those Noles but he's a true frosh. Richards had 4 catches for 50 something yards last year against FSU.

4) Walker loss +2 UM
5) Njoku loss +2 FSU

FSU Sec vs. UMs WRs equal (FSU has depth at CB and James, UM has Richards but loses Coley, can the Frosh/Cager/Mullins step up?)

Dee Delaney and Malek Young (not to mention Dean, Bandy, and Jackson who looked much improved this spring)? CBs will be just fine if not better. Jaquan Johnson and Redwine/Amari Carter? Yeah, the secondary will be just fine, especially considering how much easier the front seven will make it for them.

Not worried about our defense in any way against FSU. The question is whether we will be able to score enough on them. Oline will be improved and skill positions will be good, but look at teams with bad QB play recently (including Richt's last couple years at UGA) and it's easy to see how the rest is negated when the QB can't actually get the ball to them.

That's not to say it's a certainty we will have bad QB play, but if no one truly steps up, then it will unfortunately be a very long season. Probably will get DV'd into oblivion but that's the truth. Personally I think Nkosi will start and be good as the season goes on, but third game of the season in Tallahassee? That's a huge ask for a brand new QB no matter how ridiculously our fanbase will have hyped him up by that point. Defense will keep us in the game so we'll see what he (or whoever starts) is made of.

Last edited:
Advertisement

4) Walker loss +2 UM
5) Njoku loss +2 FSU

Dee Delaney and Malek Young (not to mention Dean, Bandy, and Jackson who looked much improved this spring)? CBs will be just fine if not better. Jaquan Johnson and Redwine/Amari Carter? Yeah, the secondary will be just fine, especially considering how much easier the front seven will make it for them.

Not worried about our defense in any way against FSU. The question is whether we will be able to score enough on them. Oline will be improved and skill positions will be good, but look at teams with bad QB play recently (including Richt's last couple years at UGA) and it's easy to see how the rest is negated when the QB can't actually get the ball to them.

That's not to say it's a certainty we will have bad QB play, but if no one truly steps up, then it will unfortunately be a very long season. Probably will get DV'd into oblivion but that's the truth. Personally I think Nkosi will start and be good as the season goes on, but third game of the season in Tallahassee? That's a huge ask for a brand new QB no matter how ridiculously our fanbase will have hyped him up by that point. Defense will keep us in the game so we'll see what he (or whoever starts) is made of.

I agree completely. The UM secondary should be as talented but they haven't played together. QB is the big question for UM in game 3. On paper UM should've beat FSU last season TBH.

Nkosi Perry will provide more from the QB spot that Kaaya ever did vs FSU take that to the bank.

Advertisement

4) Walker loss +2 UM
5) Njoku loss +2 FSU

This is all good if we were playing them game 1....but we are not, SO IT'S PROBABLY IRRELEVANT.

Advertisement
Back