FSU Game Concerns

OP stated some of my concerns. we weren't able to run the ball vs duke and haven't been able to run the ball vs fsu since Duke was here.
I think Jimbo is going to pull out some trick plays, probably some wildcat with Akers who played QB in high school. he could also end up throwing the ball, hopefully we are prepared for that.

also, tackling, tackling, tackling. our linebackers MUST tackle well. mccloud and miek smith are my biggest concerns right now. make no mistake, fsu's OL might not be great, but their RBs are very talented. Wake forest's DL and linebackers did a decent job of not missing tackles and forcing a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

also, Diaz can't get cute with those blitzes and get caught on screens or short throws to the running back.

I think this game Herndon gets free down the middle. they are going to put mcfadden on Richards, probably all game. the offense seems to play best when playing with pace.

Advertisement
I'm concerned with their rb's in the passing game rather it be catching screens or wheel routes out of the backfield. Their d-line will give our o-line problems. If Miami's special teams plays like it did vs duke they might break one.

If this FSU team I've watched play this year was the same team with different uniforms I likely wouldn't be any more concerned about this game than I would with Duke, Virginia, or maybe even Toledo. Nonetheless, I won't shake the nerves until I see a win with my own eyes. I was still enjoying my 20's last time we won, now 8 years later I'm married with kids and we haven't won in their lifetime. ****'s weird. So I re-watched the Wake Forest game last night and came away with the only way I see us blowing this:

1) Our run game gets shut down and we have to resort to short passes, which leads to tipped passes and interceptions, or bad Rosier overthrow
2) They bust a few big plays with the screen on our over aggressive D. Screens are about the only thing they know how to do on offense that's a consistent concern.
3) 1 on 1 deep ball to Auden Tate. Blackman resorts to putting up 50-50 balls.

That's it. If they win it's because they get a few huge screen plays where Akers busts loose and Auden Tate catches one or more jump balls on our shorter secondary. Those are the only things they do with any confidence on offense. I imagine Diaz must be all over these two things, but that's the only way I can imagine them scoring enough points to beat us.

Anyone else got other actual gameplan concerns?
Maybe you should consider getting rid of your family instead of rewatching FSU games. Problem
Solved.

FSU will be fired up and ready to play. Count on it. I see our Canes being fired up, but we are going to be in Doak.

So..

Rosier is going to have to make some first downs with his legs. He won't have much time with their defensive line, so he's going to only get through one maybe two reads. Then he is probably running or getting crushed. His play is the biggest key and concern to win. His nerves in the Second half will be dialed up.

I really see the need for Walton to be able to play well. If not Homer will have to carry a lot of the load and get first downs and make plays. Maybe not home runs. But decent gains.

And like many others have said we must hit there QB. Get him having to make decisions faster than he is ready for.

1 turnover but costs us 3 at most.

Miami leads the series 31-30 and has won 14 times in Tally, FSU has won 19 times in Miami so home field means little in this game. Basically over half the time the road team wins.
Take a look at what you wrote, literally everything is more aptly applied to FSU than Miami, you do realize they're starting a true freshman at QB abd RB.

I know the record, but the problem is that they have won 10 of the last 12. And yes, our teams have similarities right now.

We all know Rosier is not proven yet. He seems to be a gamer, but winning twice at Duke, is not even close to winning at FSU in Doak Cambell. He is going to get a lot more pressure.

Both teams have O line inconsistency / problems, but .... it looks like we are trending up though. This will help our RB's, where we do have an advantage this year.

And like 3/4 of the other people responding to this thread have said, we need to pressure their QB. Get him very uncomfortable.

I think Richt speeds up the offense which will help Rosier remain in rhythm and hopefully tire fsu's defense out. I also anticipate more RPO's with Rosier being the third option.

I think our run game will struggle mightily. This will fall on Rosier using his arm and legs.

Advertisement
Only thing I’m concerned with on Saturday is what I’m doing that night and how the **** am I getting home!

Advertisement
This game is going to come down to Coaching. FSU has some serious problems on the oline, and they know it. So they'll mask it, with quick passes and tosses to the edge. Our offense is better, but it's still streaky as ****, and I don't think Walton is going to be a 100% for this game, so it boils down to Rosier, and the calls Richt make. If our Secondary holds up, it's going to be a long game for them, if not, then we're going to be pretty ****ed come Sunday morning. Richt has to show them something they haven't seen yet. They'll bring up James to take Walton out of the game, so Herdon, Berrios,and the other slot needs to get off. If we score 28+ on these boys, that's a wrap, but that's going to be a tough 28 tho.

Too many IFs! FACTS: Canes are a better team this year due to coaching and depth of defensive unit. Rosier has more experience, and Canes RBs are better receivers in the passing routes. Bama, NCS, and WF gave Diaz the blueprint on handling Fisher's offensive schemes, and now a true freshman is asked to run his system. Canes 28-10, and this score will not reflect a dominance performance.

I'm glad that most of you aren't taking this game for granted, because it DEFINITELY isn't going to be a cakewalk. As much as it pains me to say it, Jimbo has largely owned us in his time at FSU and I certainly haven't seen enough consistency from our offense to feel comfortable going into Doak with a streaky passer. I still think we will win, but we're going to get their best effort like we always do and something like a pick-6 or special teams TD could determine the outcome.

Advertisement
1. We haven't run consistently on FSU since the Pink Erickson era. Rick will have to figure out a way to scheme up an effective run game. By effective, I mean consistent 4 yard gains so we don't get behind the chains. The odds of us gashing them for huge yards consistently in the run game are slim and none.

If we stay basic and try the same stuff we tried against Puke, FSU will squash our offense. Puke ate our run game up, and FSU is better than they are.

2. Find a way to not let Naadi and Christmas destroy our offense. Nothing kills an offense like getting crushed in the middle.

3. Generate consistent pressure with as few pass rushers as possible. And don't take dumb penalties once you get to the QB. Those roughing penalties are like turnovers most of the time.

4. Limit coverage disasters where guys are running free and don't give up giant gash runs in the run game.

Seriously. +1000

Don't play to their strengths and our weaknesses and don't allow stupid penalties to keep them in the game.

Our guys need to solidify the tackle and NOT, I mean NOT, go for kill shots. The refs are just waiting to penalize us for it. We got away with a lot of illegal hits last year, during the season, and were flagged on plenty, especially our safeties.

You can tell the refs are looking for it the way they flagged Redwine on that hit in the Toledo game.

without Dalvin Cook this game will resemble what UL did to FSU last year.... While Blackmon isn't soft, he has to play with the bumps and bruises of power 5 ball for the 1st time

D Walker is not on FSU defense anymore and they don't have anyone who can dominate a game like he could..

Miami big

It does seem that something special has to happen for FSU to win this game. Against WF James returned a kickoff that was called back. Do not, i reiterate, DO NOT allow something like that to give FSU momentum. Badgley I want all your kicks 10 yards into end zone!

Agreed. If he was capable I would really like Badgley to just kick it out of the endzone, or atleast deep enough to force touchbacks in this game. Their O isn't good enough to risk the return, and it's not really worth the gamble of pinning them inside the 20 rather than 25. Since he rarely does though, I'm not sure he's capable of doing that consistently.

How good is fsu return game? Might we see squib kicks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I'll rebuttal your concerns with why we'll win.

-Their OL is key to their team. They need to do their job in pass protection because Blackman (QB) is taking an extra second or so more than a veteran during his reads. I predict he'll be an okay player with time, but the kid is just not used to the pace of the game yet. That puts pressure on their OL, which by the way has been terrible, even worse than ours in the first half of last year. Our front seven will punish them worse than NC State did.

-Because of their terrible OL, they haven't been able to open up creases in the run game, which is without their security blanket of Dalvin Cuck. Jacques Patrick is slow and big and Cam Akers is a true freshman making true freshman mistakes. Non-existent run game and the happy surprise of the effectiveness of our nickel package last game will help in shutting down potential plays from Tate and Murray.

-Their defensive line is great, no need to deny that, but we have playmakers on the receiving corps that can move well in space and embarass guys like Ermon Lane. Also their linebackers are average at best. Berrios and Herndon will eat on saturday.

-having Walton and Rosier's legs forces them to respect our run. Rosier isn't a wuss like Kayak, even if Burns gets around mcdoormat on a play or two, Malik can air it out in time/run away instead of eating a sack.

-Their special teams have been some of the worst in the country, and in a rivalry game that makes all the difference (see last year)

I got us winning 31-13.

Goodness. If we manhandle FSU and win 31-13, I will cry tears of pure ecstasy until I can't cry no more. I don't want to just win; I want to humiliate FSU. I want to punish FSU. I want to give them the death knell for the rest of the season. I want everyone around the country to know that without crab legs and Cuck, Jimbo is chopped liver.

Agree with wanting to put a big score on them, but if we walk out of there with a 7 point win I will be one happy dude.

Hitting. Always a lot of hitting in these games. Years ago, we hit hard, early and more often. Lately it has been them. Coaching and game plans matter but it is he who hits most that wins this game. We need to bring the lumber early and deliver it early and often. You can bet your house they will be coming for our QB. They always have -- heck they even beat up Vinny, but it just didn't matter because he was a horse.

I am not a big fan of mobile QBs, but having won should be our biggest advantage this week. Noles have never gotten ready for a Hurricane mobile QB. There is only three game of tape on a Miami team with a mobile QB. That is the delta this year. Sure they play other teams with mobile QBs but never us. You can coach and show other teams on tape but the default in noles genes if the Miami QB will be back there waiting to cut their secondary apart. This week might be difference. Oh, our QB is frigging undefeated by the way and I am really loving that.

My only concern is "focus".....this game is about taking care of bussiness...everthing is pointing to a W...

We have to get the running game going. Outside of the long run that was criminally called back last year we had nothing going.

We won't be able to run on them early with our RB's. Rosier is gonna have to account for the bulk of our rushing yds before half time. Walton and Homer gotta be utilized in the screen game.

Well said. Only thing I disagree with is the reason we won't be able to run the ball early. It's the O-line that is preventing us from running the ball effectively. I'd go to war with a healthy Homer and a 75% Walton against anyone if they had Mt. McKinnie, Romberg,Joaquin and Vernon Carey moving D linemen out of lanes.

Advertisement
Back