FSU Game Concerns

It does seem that something special has to happen for FSU to win this game. Against WF James returned a kickoff that was called back. Do not, i reiterate, DO NOT allow something like that to give FSU momentum. Badgley I want all your kicks 10 yards into end zone!

Advertisement
With the way our defense plays and how much we hit the QB i dont see Blackman making it too the end of the game. Our D-line is too good and their O-line is bad.

I felt that way about frenchie last year, but he proved himself to be one tough SOB. Hopefully we can get it this year

Agreed Frenchie is tough but he has about 50lbs on Blackman. Seriously injuring Blackman isn't likely but Joe Jack or Norton or Chad giving him a bad concussion when they got 80-100+ lbs on him is very possible

Blackman isn't frail. He's taken some big hits and bounced back up. What he was, however, in the latter stages of the NCSU game was gunshy. He started turning his body after absorbing hits from Chubb for a couple quarters. As he started turning and flinching he lost zip and accuracy. If we can put hits on him like NCSU did that will bode well for us.

I wouldn't mind Miami taking an early shot on him even if it results in a 15 yarder.

It does seem that something special has to happen for FSU to win this game. Against WF James returned a kickoff that was called back. Do not, i reiterate, DO NOT allow something like that to give FSU momentum. Badgley I want all your kicks 10 yards into end zone!

Agreed. If he was capable I would really like Badgley to just kick it out of the endzone, or atleast deep enough to force touchbacks in this game. Their O isn't good enough to risk the return, and it's not really worth the gamble of pinning them inside the 20 rather than 25. Since he rarely does though, I'm not sure he's capable of doing that consistently.

The screen game concerns me. However, watching film of their game against WF the major take away should be Jimbo calls a screen 3&5+ almost every time. He doesn't trust their OL enough to let the pass pro in those situations. I could see Pinckney making a huge play on one of these if it's drilled into the LB's and DL's heads. Or maybe Chad pulls a Danny Stubbs circa 1987 and becomes part of Cane fokelore. In the early 2000's our DL dominated screens. They read them fast and blew them up consistently. If we do that again it should be a long day for FSU.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
With the way our defense plays and how much we hit the QB i dont see Blackman making it too the end of the game. Our D-line is too good and their O-line is bad.

I felt that way about frenchie last year, but he proved himself to be one tough SOB. Hopefully we can get it this year

Agreed Frenchie is tough but he has about 50lbs on Blackman. Seriously injuring Blackman isn't likely but Joe Jack or Norton or Chad giving him a bad concussion when they got 80-100+ lbs on him is very possible

Blackman isn't frail. He's taken some big hits and bounced back up. What he was, however, in the latter stages of the NCSU game was gunshy. He started turning his body after absorbing hits from Chubb for a couple quarters. As he started turning and flinching he lost zip and accuracy. If we can put hits on him like NCSU did that will bode well for us.

I wouldn't mind Miami taking an early shot on him even if it results in a 15 yarder.

Was thinking the same. Might as well try and take him out early. I have no problem with us taking cheap shots (long as it's with someone expendable) on them bc there's no doubt they'l be gunning for Walton's ankle.

Send Patachan at him like we did Francois last year.

Last edited:
I'll rebuttal your concerns with why we'll win.

-Their OL is key to their team. They need to do their job in pass protection because Blackman (QB) is taking an extra second or so more than a veteran during his reads. I predict he'll be an okay player with time, but the kid is just not used to the pace of the game yet. That puts pressure on their OL, which by the way has been terrible, even worse than ours in the first half of last year. Our front seven will punish them worse than NC State did.

-Because of their terrible OL, they haven't been able to open up creases in the run game, which is without their security blanket of Dalvin Cuck. Jacques Patrick is slow and big and Cam Akers is a true freshman making true freshman mistakes. Non-existent run game and the happy surprise of the effectiveness of our nickel package last game will help in shutting down potential plays from Tate and Murray.

-Their defensive line is great, no need to deny that, but we have playmakers on the receiving corps that can move well in space and embarass guys like Ermon Lane. Also their linebackers are average at best. Berrios and Herndon will eat on saturday.

-having Walton and Rosier's legs forces them to respect our run. Rosier isn't a wuss like Kayak, even if Burns gets around mcdoormat on a play or two, Malik can air it out in time/run away instead of eating a sack.

-Their special teams have been some of the worst in the country, and in a rivalry game that makes all the difference (see last year)

I got us winning 31-13.

Goodness. If we manhandle FSU and win 31-13, I will cry tears of pure ecstasy until I can't cry no more. I don't want to just win; I want to humiliate FSU. I want to punish FSU. I want to give them the death knell for the rest of the season. I want everyone around the country to know that without crab legs and Cuck, Jimbo is chopped liver.

Your right he was certainly gun shy but I don't know about you but I have a friend who is 6'5 and is 180lbs and if you saw him you would think he had an eating disorder. Blackman is 10lbs less than that he is frail just knows how to take a hit

Advertisement

Was thinking the same. Might as well try and take him out early. I have no problem with us taking cheap shots (long as it's with someone expendable) on them bc there's no doubt they'l be gunning for Walton's ankle.

Patchan is not on the travel squad. I really thought he would be part of the rotation. Johnson is the last DE off bench on travel team.

1. We haven't run consistently on FSU since the Pink Erickson era. Rick will have to figure out a way to scheme up an effective run game. By effective, I mean consistent 4 yard gains so we don't get behind the chains. The odds of us gashing them for huge yards consistently in the run game are slim and none.

If we stay basic and try the same stuff we tried against Puke, FSU will squash our offense. Puke ate our run game up, and FSU is better than they are.

2. Find a way to not let Naadi and Christmas destroy our offense. Nothing kills an offense like getting crushed in the middle.

3. Generate consistent pressure with as few pass rushers as possible. And don't take dumb penalties once you get to the QB. Those roughing penalties are like turnovers most of the time.

4. Limit coverage disasters where guys are running free and don't give up giant gash runs in the run game.

Not this year. So far

Your right he was certainly gun shy but I don't know about you but I have a friend who is 6'5 and is 180lbs and if you saw him you would think he had an eating disorder. Blackman is 10lbs less than that he is frail just knows how to take a hit

If he's frail it's yet to reveal itself. He took some hellacious hits from Chubb and weathered them.

1. We haven't run consistently on FSU since the Pink Erickson era. Rick will have to figure out a way to scheme up an effective run game. By effective, I mean consistent 4 yard gains so we don't get behind the chains. The odds of us gashing them for huge yards consistently in the run game are slim and none.

If we stay basic and try the same stuff we tried against Puke, FSU will squash our offense. Puke ate our run game up, and FSU is better than they are.

2. Find a way to not let Naadi and Christmas destroy our offense. Nothing kills an offense like getting crushed in the middle.

3. Generate consistent pressure with as few pass rushers as possible. And don't take dumb penalties once you get to the QB. Those roughing penalties are like turnovers most of the time.

4. Limit coverage disasters where guys are running free and don't give up giant gash runs in the run game.

Not this year. So far

Yeah. I don't care about the stats. FSU is far superior to Puke in personnel and ability on defense.

Advertisement
Their OL will be their undoing, Wake had 18 TFL's and 5 sacks, throw in the fact that they may have two guys hurt as well...

Need to run a few screens & jet sweeps of our own to keep the middle of the D honest. I think the speed we have on D is really going to rattle James Blackmon. We haven't seen anybody like them but they most certainly haven't seen anybody like us. 17-10 canes.

Advertisement

Patchan is not on the travel squad. I really thought he would be part of the rotation. Johnson is the last DE off bench on travel team.

Well DJ is our guy then.

I'm reminded of the ol Jerome Brown story when we were playing Oklahoma. Jerome said we needed to take Troy Aikman out the game. We all know what happened next.

We can not get impatient.
When they have defensive lapses we must take advantage.
NO "free" points on special teams.

Saw Amir Rasul get some burn against Wake.. Jumbo has traditionally liked to lean on the South Florida kids in this game, wouldn't be surprised to see him other tri county guys get shots to make plays.. having said that if they do we better crush them

Need to run a few screens & jet sweeps of our own to keep the middle of the D honest. I think the speed we have on D is really going to rattle James Blackmon. We haven't seen anybody like them but they most certainly haven't seen anybody like us. 17-10 canes.

Bama has a descent defense.

Advertisement
Back