From Inside the U earlier tonight on AD and Coach - David Lake

Advertisement
I actually don’t think it is. For instance, uf, FSU, Tennessee, Texas, and Nebraska illustrate how easy it is to get it wrong again and again. And think about how much money those schools have and how rabid their fans are.
The more I think about it, the more I think the key is putting a system in place like Saban and Kirby have done. After that, if you maintain the machine, the coach should matter a little less. Unfortunately, we’ve got no system so we need a home run hire every time.
This and you have to dump a lot of money in to your program to get what you want.

Lastly, I'll say I think the coaching turnover county wide has gotten to be too crazy. You have to give these coaches some time to get going. With the way football is now, as a HC you are screwed unless you hit on a star QB in one of the first two classes. Herman had a pretty decent QB and I don't think he deserved to get canned at Texas yet here we are.

Have to give coaches a little bit of time in most scenarios. For Miami, I think Diaz was a rushed bad hire. If the team tackled better, didn't commit as many penalties and looked like they were getting coached up, I'd might be ok to chalk this year up to injuries....but I can't with all the other issues

For Nunez maybe. If the majority of the BOT was on board for someone like Jurich then he would be our A.D. now.
Unless Jurich was never going to be the guy. Seems like his name would’ve been leaked by the same person leaking all the other BS, in order to achieve the same end… **** people off. Poison the well.

Who really believes anybody inside UM ever would’ve thought jurich a good idea?

Advertisement
I want to believe that Miami is going to do what needs to be done, but Occam's Razor indicates otherwise. This athletic department has been run like utter dogcrap for 20 years, with a bunch of jock sniffing idiots jerking off to "Glory Days". I'm going to say this: If it doesn't go down right, I'm not wasting another minute of my time on this crap.

Truth. Simply put, the benefit of the doubt is earned. We have a earned reputation of pure dogchit. We consistently made illogical and irrational moves/decisions for ~20 years now.

We need to have a track record of common sense and actual success to reverse the trend.

Advertisement
Unless Jurich was never going to be the guy. Seems like his name would’ve been leaked by the same person leaking all the other BS, in order to achieve the same end… **** people off. Poison the well.

Who really believes anybody inside UM ever would’ve thought jurich a good idea?

Regardless of whether we would consider him, I don’t think Jurich is an automatic home run.

Pros:

1. Long and accomplished track record as an AD. Not success as some assistant or some irrelevant position unrelated to running an athletic department.

2. Brought in Rick Pitino and along came a championship and numerous final 4 appearances.

3. Football success: Numerous conference championships, numerous ranked top 10 seasons (to finish the season) and BCS wins.

4. Great track record of raising revenues, donations and getting the necessary chit done to advance a program (e.g. building needed facilities). He wants to win, period.

5. Took them from CUSA to Big East to ACC.

6. He actually holds people accountable and will fire someone who is failing.

7. When he was AD, he was competent, passionate and had autonomy. My guess is he wouldn’t put up with anything less than autonomy. This is very different from our last ~20 years.

Cons:

1. He has been out of the game since 2017. (Not a knock or saying he is dirty) He was paid in 2018 for wrongful termination, why did it take so long to comeback (if he comes back)? No desire to comeback?

2. He is 65. Not saying he is over the hill but the combination of the above and his age make me skeptical.

I actually don’t think it is. For instance, uf, FSU, Tennessee, Texas, and Nebraska illustrate how easy it is to get it wrong again and again. And think about how much money those schools have and how rabid their fans are.
The more I think about it, the more I think the key is putting a system in place like Saban and Kirby have done. After that, if you maintain the machine, the coach should matter a little less. Unfortunately, we’ve got no system so we need a home run hire every time.
Florida as well. Zook, Muschamp, McIlteeth, Mullet.

Follow the tea leaves. Not one OC candidate has emerged. That should tell you something

Likens would be promoted in this scenario IMO

Supposedly Likens is going with Lashlee which in itself would be telling. However, if we are not hearing about OC candidates because Likens is being promoted then they would have just announced it. Yet here we are days after Lashlee left and not a peep of Likens being promoted to OC or any candidates. **** I don't remember even seeing mention of who would be the OC of the bowl game let along next year.

Advertisement
Supposedly Likens is going with Lashlee which in itself would be telling. However, if we are not hearing about OC candidates because Likens is being promoted then they would have just announced it. Yet here we are days after Lashlee left and not a peep of Likens being promoted to OC or any candidates. **** I don't remember even seeing mention of who would be the OC of the bowl game let along next year.
Yeah I think Likens is probably dragging his feet.. much better to be the OC at Miami then SMU.

If the BOT members are leaking bad information because they're butt hurt about anything, that is literally the definition of a circus, even if David Lake thinks it's not

Some quick notes tonight...

- If you want change, then you want things to stay quiet. That’s because Miami’s decision makers, President Julio Frenk and his advisors, are doing their best to move in silence. There are a lot of people around UM that used to be in the loop that no longer are (board of trustee members and people inside the Hecht building) and they are frustrated by being cut out of the loop and are leaking plenty of interesting information. Take it all with a grain of salt.

- Why would these people want to leak bad information? A combination of Blake James loyalists and Manny Diaz supporters don’t like the potential for sweeping change within the athletic department and there are some hurt egos amongst the board of trustees after they were cut out of the loop on the decision to separate from Blake James. By leaking false information, it makes Miami’s AD and potential coaching search look like a circus, which it is not. There is a plan, but again, former decision makers are upset/frustrated about being cut out of the loop—and quite frankly they are validating the decision to cut people out of the loop with all these leaks.

- Again, if you desire change, things being quiet this week is a good thing. The longer a move isn’t announced during the course of this week, it is a good thing because the event to have circled on the calendar is the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday night. Again, pay attention to things not being said: 1.) Miami officially announcing Manny Diaz is coming back in 2022. 2.) A big money extension of Mario Cristobal at Oregon. 3.) A big money extension of Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss. If we don’t hear any news in this regard through Friday, it is a good thing in terms of the potential for change.

- Be skeptical of any athletic director names that leak. I’m not saying that those names being leaked won’t be at UM in some capacity moving forward (and there might be some smoke to Eddie Nunez as the AD, but his name leaking out has me skeptical too), but Miami is using a search firm for the athletic director hire and when you use a search firm, not having names leak is a huge priority. The decision makers driving this decision want to keep things quiet.

- Be skeptical of reports hinting that the board of trustees are voting on a potential AD candidate and then waiting on the final approval of President Julio Frenk. It is my understanding that the process will be Frenk and his advisors recommending an AD to the board of trustees, who are then expected to rubber stamp that recommendation. Again, President Julio Frenk and his advisors are making all of these decisions and they are not speaking to the media about candidates etc.

- Let me state this again…if you want change, quiet is good. Each passing day in which official announcements (Diaz retention, Cristobal and/or Kiffin extensions) aren’t made is a good thing. Patience is required through this weekend and we will see where the chips fall.
So..summary..David Lake aslo really doesn’t know ****

Advertisement
Been trying to say this over and over guys but be patient… don’t set your hair on fire over every little tweet..

2 days ago I said no extension for Lane or Mario is a good thing for us. None of the things happening in the last few days had any direct implications on what we are doing. We were never linked to Riley or Kelly..

My belief which I echoed tonight. The AD is named in the next couple days and sometime this weekend we’ll know if Mario is the guy… if not I think it’s Lane
Tbf..usc was never really linked to Riley. That and especially kelly was a shock..but your 100% right. Everyone wants to break a story instead of just letting things play out..we don’t even have a AD

I've seen this question on here being asked.

Screenshot_20211201-085151.png

Advertisement
Back