From Inside the U earlier tonight on AD and Coach - David Lake

Advertisement
Exactly. Why should I trust you David when you just said to not trust anything you read about this process? And lol at it not being a circus. A competent organization would have already fired Manny, hired Jurich, and told the search firm to go f their own face.
- Be skeptical of reports hinting that the board of trustees are voting on a potential AD candidate and then waiting on the final approval of President Julio Frenk. It is my understanding that the process will be Frenk and his advisors recommending an AD to the board of trustees, who are then expected to rubber stamp that recommendation. Again, President Julio Frenk and his advisors are making all of these decisions and they are not speaking to the media about candidates etc.

This is the part that sticks out the most, he’s saying that based on his understanding (meaning what he’s been told), that Julio, Fernandez & Echevarria are recommending AD candidates to the BOT & then the BOT will decide who the AD is, which makes sense because it’s simple logic that the guys paying for everything will call the shots on who gets hired.

So in that case, if we’re not to believe the names that have been leaked as the possible AD candidates, the the BOT is going to hire someone that most of us have not heard of or discussed.

He also said, to be skeptical of the names that have been leaked thus far, but that it doesn’t mean they won’t be in the Athletic department in some capacity, but that it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to be AD either, although there is some legitimate smoke about Nuñez being the next AD & there’s a high probability/certainty that Zo will be the head of Football. Which is interesting, because that’s what’s been leaked...

So either Nuñez isn’t gonna be AD & Zo & Gino aren’t going to be in the Athletic department, or they are & they just haven’t finalized it yet. Maybe Nuñez isn’t gonna be AD but serve in some other capacity & maybe Zo & Gino will also.

One thing I think we can logically deduce is that Zo & Gino will serve in the Athletic department in some capacity, I don’t think there’s much question or doubt about that. What remains to be seen is if Nuñez will be the AD or some other title or possibly not even hired at all.

Point being, if we’re supposed to be skeptical of most if not all of the info leaked regarding the AD, then that means the actual hire should be someone out of left field that most of us don’t know or simply haven’t brought up yet. But if it turns out to be Nuñez then that means the leaks weren’t as inaccurate as we’re being told they are.

I’m 100% sure Manny will be fired, regardless of what anyone says, I think Mario is already a done deal, but I also think the AD search is where the real hold up is & the reason is because aside from the Blake Baker loyalists within the BOT there’s most likely a split over who to turn the program over to, meaning either give it to the former players or give it to a bureaucrat.

IMO the tug of War happening is over who will be more controllable.

Some quick notes tonight...

- If you want change, then you want things to stay quiet. That’s because Miami’s decision makers, President Julio Frenk and his advisors, are doing their best to move in silence. There are a lot of people around UM that used to be in the loop that no longer are (board of trustee members and people inside the Hecht building) and they are frustrated by being cut out of the loop and are leaking plenty of interesting information. Take it all with a grain of salt.

- Why would these people want to leak bad information? A combination of Blake James loyalists and Manny Diaz supporters don’t like the potential for sweeping change within the athletic department and there are some hurt egos amongst the board of trustees after they were cut out of the loop on the decision to separate from Blake James. By leaking false information, it makes Miami’s AD and potential coaching search look like a circus, which it is not. There is a plan, but again, former decision makers are upset/frustrated about being cut out of the loop—and quite frankly they are validating the decision to cut people out of the loop with all these leaks.

- Again, if you desire change, things being quiet this week is a good thing. The longer a move isn’t announced during the course of this week, it is a good thing because the event to have circled on the calendar is the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday night. Again, pay attention to things not being said: 1.) Miami officially announcing Manny Diaz is coming back in 2022. 2.) A big money extension of Mario Cristobal at Oregon. 3.) A big money extension of Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss. If we don’t hear any news in this regard through Friday, it is a good thing in terms of the potential for change.

- Be skeptical of any athletic director names that leak. I’m not saying that those names being leaked won’t be at UM in some capacity moving forward (and there might be some smoke to Eddie Nunez as the AD, but his name leaking out has me skeptical too), but Miami is using a search firm for the athletic director hire and when you use a search firm, not having names leak is a huge priority. The decision makers driving this decision want to keep things quiet.

- Be skeptical of reports hinting that the board of trustees are voting on a potential AD candidate and then waiting on the final approval of President Julio Frenk. It is my understanding that the process will be Frenk and his advisors recommending an AD to the board of trustees, who are then expected to rubber stamp that recommendation. Again, President Julio Frenk and his advisors are making all of these decisions and they are not speaking to the media about candidates etc.

- Let me state this again…if you want change, quiet is good. Each passing day in which official announcements (Diaz retention, Cristobal and/or Kiffin extensions) aren’t made is a good thing. Patience is required through this weekend and we will see where the chips fall.
I’m not trying to pat myself on the back but I am pretty sure I’ve been consistently asking about points 2 and 3. Does not and has not made sense that Oregon and Ole Miss have not signed their coaches to extensions with heavy buyouts unless ….. the coaches are not currently ready to sign extensions.

Advertisement
IF there's a concerted effort by the likes of Epstein (and others) to completely undermine the school and Frenk himself then anything short of a purge of these clowns from any association with the school should be considered a massive failure and a dereliction of duty by our actual administration.
I agree with your thoughts, but do you really think that the university is going to turn its back on one of the hands that feeds it…especially when that friend has high flying wealthy friends that continue to donate and support the University?

Something needs to be done to put these power hungry people in their place. I blame Blake for allowing them to strong arm him all of this time so that they feel entitled enough to challenge the hierarchy of “power” and get the feeling like their opinion matters. Only in Miami can a nothing like Nevin rise to prominence at the U to only fall hard and end up in prison. We have such a keeping up with the Joneses mentality that it’s insane.

Does the BOT just vote on approvals? If so, what do they need? Just majority?
Depends and might even be that he doesn’t need BOT approval. There’s a lot of board members that don’t know crap or care about athletics which is common at every school. There’s a group of BOT that oversees athletics specifically (DiMare, Vilma, Epstein (guessing here) and I forget the rest). Not sure if Frenk needs their approval or the whole BOT approval.

Here’s a list. I would say that less than half those names actually influence the athletic department.

The notion that the UM Board of Trustees is going to Front the Athletic Department 30 million in Big Boy Football Money per annum and then let Julio Frenk and his coterie decide everything is laughable in its face.

Frenk’s office must be the source of the leak to Lake. They’re the only ones who could invent such Magical Bullsh*t.
They are 100% the source of his leak. He makes sure to point out their greatness and how they are the ones controlling all of this in every article he writes.

Advertisement
The BOT will need to approve the salary of the A.D. unless we go super cheap.
That is true. I simply think (I’m actually gonna do a bit of research), that the President can hire and fire any of his reports. Like the CEO of a company can make all hiring decisions, and the board of directors meets quarterly or annually to review and approve budgets, etc.

I agree with your thoughts, but do you really think that the university is going to turn its back on one of the hands that feeds it…especially when that friend has high flying wealthy friends that continue to donate and support the University?

Something needs to be done to put these power hungry people in their place. I blame Blake for allowing them to strong arm him all of this time so that they feel entitled enough to challenge the hierarchy of “power” and get the feeling like their opinion matters. Only in Miami can a nothing like Nevin rise to prominence at the U to only fall hard and end up in prison. We have such a keeping up with the Joneses mentality that it’s insane.

10000%. You're absolutely correct too about the difficulty in actually purging these people. We do seem to have some new people with deep pockets (and potential deep pockets) floating around that are hungry for power and influence. So unless Epstein is actually in cahoots with the Soffer types then I think you try to get Mas, Ruiz, etc. to muscle him with out with their own money because seemingly what is going on here is an irrevocable breach of trust.

Advertisement
I made the point last week that Manny deserved a lot of credit for being a total professional during this process. He’s not dumb. He knows what’s going on. Yet he’s Sitting there and taking some really brutal questions and not getting flustered but answering them with a singular “team” focus. Of course this situation is due to his ineptitude as a coach but the way he’s handled this has allowed all of the back channeling (Mario to the U) to happen pretty seemlessly and should be commended.

Advertisement
People have been up in arms about all these other schools hiring coaches quickly and “this is what a good school does” fail to realize that all these schools that have made changes already don’t have coaches playing for anything anymore. Oklahoma isn’t in the Big 12 championship, neither is Notre Dame. Our big target is playing in the PAC 12 championship. It only makes sense that we wouldn’t hear anything about a coaching change until after the dust has settled there

Advertisement
Back