From Another Coach: Manny's Problem

Dabo didn’t have any respect until he brought in assistants and the top talent that started winning.

My brother n law played for Dabo early in his tenure. I think they thought he was a corny cheerleading rah rah guy.

He didn’t start gaining the respect like that until they won.
Every other coach that guys compare to Manny took years to get where they are. And this isn't saying I don't see plenty of stuff he can do better, but the guy deserves more than a year or 2. Can we at least finish the season and see what comes next? Does the team fold or does it take care of business the rest of the year?

Dabo stunk for a while. How long did it take coach O to win a title? Butch had to watch banners flying overhead but the revisionist history around here is everyone knew he would come good.

Advertisement
one college head coach told me:

"manny is a smart guy and a hard worker. definitely dedicated to running a good program, and always thinking. his problem though is he tries to be friends with everyone. the twitter stuff, having his kids like him, which they do. that's a big thing with him. BUT, they aren't afraid of him enough. with my kids, i keep the right amount of distance to keep them afraid. enough of a distance where i can make sure that fear of me is always there, and they know it's real and they could always be benched, chewed out, kicked off the team, just cause i say so. manny doesn't have that, or at least, he needs more of it."
That would explain why he plays the ones who’s been there the longest over the most talented. Smh

Dabo benched his starting left tackle for having two false starts. Then promptly took out his whole starting offensive line the same play. hate that mf’er but he on some boss ****. Saban be up 30 yelling at players for giving up 3 yards on defense.

Here drop a pass get more reps to make up for it. Miss a tackle get more reps to miss more until you prove you can tackle. The culture is ran backwards here for some reason.

I see why they didn’t want Alonzo around this program. He would have shook up all this weak minded bs.
That's why they didn't want him. Weak-minded equals easy to control.

Advertisement
We’ve had our opportunities at hiring badass coaches, we have always opted for the generic brands cause it’s cheaper.
Disagree.

Hiring a good coach is hard. Look at how many “can’t miss” coaches have failed in the last 5 years not to mention the last decade. Fedora, Jones, Mora … ****, there are “can’t miss” coaches failing right now.

Leach? He’ll be exposed this year. Hermans? Many feel he’s been exposed already.

Kids were not lazy or heartless or gutless or any other negative that stupid posters have vomited over the last 15 hours or so when commenting on last night’s game, they were undercoached. Not uncoached, just undercoached. This is a coaching issue MORE than a talent issue.

Coaches are either coaching it in or coaching it out, so when you see LB’ers constantly misread — or are too late to read — then it’s a coaching issue. When you see OL who can’t get a push or maintain a block or pick up a blitz or constantly making mental errors, it’s not a talent issue. These are not …”natural talents“, they’re concepts, and the best coached kids understand the concepts to a point that they accept their role in the UNIT.

Nobody predicted Orgeron could win a championship and no one predicted Dabo could…most never predicted OK would already have two losses either. Program building is hard.

Kid from Clemson got a penalty said something to Dabo or made gesture, Dabo took that *** out promptly. We reward dropped passes, misreads, penalties, etc...with more playing time. Its crazy

Which is counterproductive for the team respecting you because though they aren't saying it publicly, they know it's ridiculous they're still starting. Don't lose the locker room.

"manny is a smart guy and a hard worker. definitely dedicated to running a good program, and always thinking. his problem though is he tries to be friends with everyone. the twitter stuff, having his kids like him, which they do. that's a big thing with him. BUT, they aren't afraid of him enough. with my kids, i keep the right amount of distance to keep them afraid. enough of a distance where i can make sure that fear of me is always there, and they know it's real and they could always be benched, chewed out, kicked off the team, just cause i say so. manny doesn't have that, or at least, he needs more of it."
It's mpossibler to start out a hardass and then get nicer. The other way around is impossible in my experience.

this nitwit BOT and incompetent AD will just hire another hack lifetime coordinator from a MAC type school. THEY DON'T CARE!
Exactly. I do not understand fans calling for coach's heads when they should know there is always someone equal to or worse waiting in the wings. That dream coach is not getting the job. Mullen had a "big ego" and Shannon "had such a great interview."

Advertisement

many successful coach’s are feared by there players but you have other successful coaches who aren’t feared and still win, **** vermeil, Pete Carrol to name a few.

we aren’t Clemson yet, but now we need to finish the season strong and hopefully play again and see how we’ve grown

Disagree.

Hiring a good coach is hard. Look at how many “can’t miss” coaches have failed in the last 5 years not to mention the last decade. Fedora, Jones, Mora … ****, there are “can’t miss” coaches failing right now.

Leach? He’ll be exposed this year. Hermans? Many feel he’s been exposed already.

Kids were not lazy or heartless or gutless or any other negative that stupid posters have vomited over the last 15 hours or so when commenting on last night’s game, they were undercoached. Not uncoached, just undercoached. This is a coaching issue MORE than a talent issue.

Coaches are either coaching it in or coaching it out, so when you see LB’ers constantly misread — or are too late to read — then it’s a coaching issue. When you see OL who can’t get a push or maintain a block or pick up a blitz or constantly making mental errors, it’s not a talent issue. These are not …”natural talents“, they’re concepts, and the best coached kids understand the concepts to a point that they accept their role in the UNIT.

Nobody predicted Orgeron could win a championship and no one predicted Dabo could…most never predicted OK would already have two losses either. Program building is hard.
Did U even consider that Miami was simply OUT TALENTED on both sides of the LOS!?? duh!

In other words, I don't know what game U was watching, but it surely wasn't the Saturn night disaster in small town Carolina Sud.

The bottom line: Clemson had MEN playing all eleven positions. Whereas it seem to me, Miami was playing boys against MEN! Yikes. Albeit metaphorically speaking.

Quite telling to see folks jumping back on the Manuela is a corch bandwagon.

Where are all the Mrs Diaz's now?

Can't wait to hear some of the revisonists and "I predicted this only after it happened".

Vroom. Vroom.

With that said, play this game 10 times and the result is the same in 9.

Lashlee does not yet have the athletes in place, particularly OL, to consistently compete with Clemson.

Again, while disappointing, I believe real progress can be made with wins in the rest of the schedule where there are almost guaranteed losses if the usual past decade Canes show up.

Well said Empirical Cane. The mark of a good team is that it gets better as the season progresses and it beats the teams its supposed to beat, which for us is the reminder of the teams on our schedule. We CLEARLY need to be more mature across the board and make better decisions in almost every phase of the game and do so more consistently. We'll see if that plays out as we move forward.

Advertisement
Dabo didn’t have any respect until he brought in assistants and the top talent that started winning.

My brother n law played for Dabo early in his tenure. I think they thought he was a corny cheerleading rah rah guy.

He didn’t start gaining the respect like that until they won.
thank you!

Did U even consider that Miami was simply OUT TALENTED on both sides of the LOS!?? duh!

In other words, I don't know what game U was watching, but it surely wasn't the Saturn night disaster in small town Carolina Sud.

The bottom line: Clemson had MEN playing all eleven positions. Whereas it seem to me, Miami was playing boys against MEN! Yikes. Albeit metaphorically speaking.
Did you ever consider that the many “duh’s” make you look stupid? It does, by the way; completely unnecessary, and as you can see it hasn’t started a “thing”. No one else is doing it.

Clemson “men” started out in the same place or lower than many of Miami’s men in several positions. 4 of their 6 linebackers are 3 stars that you wouldn’t have advocated recruiting … but now they’re men? And coaching/development had nothing to do with it?

Miami has put more OL in the league the past 10 years than Clemson, but they have “men”? They have coaching and sound development plan to get the most out of every kid.

Crying about talent is excuse by loser coaches and loser fans. You play the hand you’re dealt and the great coaches find a way - relatively quickly.

The teams that believe in talent first can’t develop sustainable programs, and the teams that develop athletes first do. (see: Schnellenberger, H and Johnson, J)

Advertisement

@RedSquare I agree. Some of us here talked about it last fall when things unraveled. Some assumed Manny wouldn't make changes to the staff or team because he's such a nice guy, but he did. Hopefully, he'll recognize the importance of having a little Teddy Roosevelt in his coaching tool kit because I agree that he needs it. It will be easy to tell if he doesn't adapt because we'll lose to teams we should beat because we continue to make boneheaded mistakes we shouldn't make.

Last edited:
Pete Carroll was a players coach. One of the keys to being a good leader is to know your limitations. If you know that you're easy going then you need to hire some aggressive assistants.
People in life can tell if you're fake. No need to act like a hard *** when you're not

He can be best friends with every kid on the roster for all I care, but he needs to do his job when it needs to happen. If being their friend is keeping him from benching them then its an issue. My players know we can have a good time and I will have their back but if they aint getting the job done its the bench for you

15 penalties for 135 yards and 3 turnovers speaks for itself.

And our WRs literally never got meaningful separation, in addition to not adjusting well enough to get the football in the 1v1 matches they were in. O-line failed at generating any sort of a running game. Watch Texas A&M's o-line against Florida yesterday if you want to see what an excellent run blocking o-line looks like.

Reminded me a lot of the 2017 Hurricanes, which is good in the sense that it's a big improvement over the 2018 and 2019 teams. However, that 2017 team had some very obvious limitations that seem to be reflected in the team in 2020.

We're likely several years away from seeing Miami compete for a national title. Ultimately, Miami is just gonna have to recruit better offensively if they want to have a chance.
Brother, this is not a jab towards you, but let’s talk about offensive recruiting for a minute in a tale of the tape (I’m only going to include those still on the roster & highlight those who were top 15 at their position):

Miami-four 4 ⭐️, two 3 ⭐️ (Included the #10 OT, #7 DT QB)

Miami-six 4 ⭐️ / two 3 ⭐️ (included #1 & 8 TE, #11 WR, #7 RB, and the #5 & #12 OG)

Miami-one 4 ⭐️/ seven 3 ⭐️ (included #10 WR)

Miami-five 4 ⭐️/ five 3 ⭐️ (included #10 & #11 RBs, #12 OT, #7 Pro QB, #15 TE)

Clemson-three 4 ⭐️/ one 3 ⭐️ (included #15 RB)

Clemson-two 5 ⭐️/ two 4 ⭐️/ one 3 ⭐️ (included #1 Pro QB, # 2 OT, #7 WR, # 7 APB)

Clemson-five 4 ⭐️/ three 3 ⭐️ (included #7 & #9 WR, #5 OG, #4 DT QB, #14 RB)

Clemson-one 5 ⭐️ / four 4 ⭐️ / two 3 ⭐️ (Included #1 Pro QB, #13 WR, #5 OT, #3 & #6 OG)

If we look at just the blue chips that are active on the depth chart for yesterday’s game-Recruiting ONLY:
-Miami had 16
-Clemson had 17 (including 3 five stars)

Here’s the difference between us & them:

Their blue chips, ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE BLUE CHIPS! Ours do not. Furthermore, their 3 star guys are being developed into quality starters.

I keep saying, on paper, our talent gap is not far. But in the locker room?? Oh **** yeah!!! (In my Stone Cold’s voice)

Advertisement
Back