Freshman WRs

Advertisement
Physical upside doesn't make up for the fact that Wiggins is scared of contact.

Bet he was a beast in 7-on-7 though
Imagine thinking dropps mean your scared of contact. That’s not it at alll. Boy just not finishing plays

It’s pointless to talk about physical upside (which I don’t agree with). He can’t play.
He’s not a top level WR. He’s a avg Wr at this level at this point. He and pope Have to put it all together

so did the wr's from last year...look at the snap count...

Favoritism leads to nowhere...
I just don’t understand the favoritism line bc they sucked. Pope and Wiggins must have blackmail on likens only way they can continue to play so much

Advertisement
I just don’t understand the favoritism line bc they sucked. Pope and Wiggins must have blackmail on likens only way they can continue to play so much
they have sucked for two years...different offensive coaches, sans the HC Diaz and Cooney being around making decisions...

Someone explain the reason why these two guys play more than anyone else at the position? And let's not talk about they look great in practice B.S. as that doesn't account for much when you constantly underperform when the lights come on.

He’s not a top level WR. He’s a avg Wr at this level at this point. He and pope Have to put it all together

by year 3, you pretty much have “what you see is what you get.” Can they have a magical transformation at year 4? I don’t think so. Can they improve some? Sure, I suppose...but not enough to be a WR1/WR2 (maybe even WR3) in this offense.

by year 3, you pretty much have “what you see is what you get.” Can they have a magical transformation at year 4? I don’t think so. Can they improve some? Sure, I suppose...but not enough to be a WR1/WR2 (maybe even WR3) in this offense.
You see the improvement Harley made? Yes Wiggins and pope have more talent. It’s not a talent issue. You’ve just got to finish these plays to bring your game to the next level. As of right now they are average college wrs. If you watch teams across the country that’s exactly the category they fall into. We want them to be top of the ACC level performers. They might not put it together to be that. But it won’t be for a lack of talent

Advertisement
Imagine thinking dropps mean your scared of contact. That’s not it at alll. Boy just not finishing plays
Nothing to do with drops, that's a separate issue.

Doesn't show much desire to fight for the ball when it's in the air and I'd be interested in his yards after catch/contact metrics. He's almost always going backwards when the ball is in his hands and he gets touched. I don't think this is a hot take at all, one of the least physical 6'3" 190 lb WRs I've ever seen

You only need a working pair of eyes and a decent television to tell you Wiggins and Pope were bad this season. But when we look at their (total lack of) production relative to snap count, it provides even more context on just how terrible they were.

Here's what I could find for total 2020 WR Snaps, which includes 9 of 11 games (minus UNC and Duke, which I couldn't find info on):
Wiggins: 601
Pope: 504
Harley: 502.

Wiggins has done nothing to earn all those snaps this season and has little to show for it, and Pope clearly didn't earn all his PT either. With all those snaps, Wiggins managed 31 catches this season for 358 yards and 3 TDs. He had zero catches against UNC and Pitt. Two 1-catch games (including last night). Only two games with more than 3 receptions. Only two games with at least 60 yards receiving.

For his meager part, Pope had all of 33 catches, 403 yards, and 2 TDs. Zero catches against Clemson. Only managed to get more than 3 catches in 5 games (less than half). All of 3 games with at least 60 yards receiving. Not as unproductive as Wiggins, but nothing about that stat line would lead a sane person to believe he saw as many snaps as he did.

Considering all the snaps Wiggins and Pope ate, those two were horribly unproductive. By comparison, and notwithstanding the fact he gets dogged on CIS, Harley managed 57 catches for 799 and 7 TDs this season (with fewer snaps than either Wiggins or Harley, at least in the 9 games I could find snap distributions for). So Pope + Wiggins = 64 catches for 761 yards and 5 TDs. It's close, but Wiggins and Pope's COMBINED PRODUCTION fell below Harley's (7 fewer catches, but 38 more yards and 2 more TDs).

Advertisement
Just bring them bois in and compete..if that out perform Pope and Wiggins, they play. Wiggins was a 3star and had produced like it. Pope was a 4 star plays like a 3. Simply means both are inconsistent. Both struggled to make THE PLAY
I wouldn't insult 3 stars like that. They both play like walk-ons at UMASS.

Advertisement
Ivins said on his podcast today that Wiggins and Pope had a drop percentage of 16% and 15% respectively.

Numbers are inflated by catching easy bubble screens. Prob more like 25-35% on downfield passes. Disgraceful.

Srsly wish Manny/Lash would just push them out. They cant start next year and will be locker room cancers on the bench. Lose Lose

I still remember how Pope caught that slant for a td against VA TECH like how my mom holds her purse when she just got her nails done.

Bih was running like...

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Back