Former Player Insider's Perspective

I dont seem to recall JJ getting fired from a P5 program for being inadequate.

Jimmy Johnson had a .535 winning percentage at Okie State over 5 seasons. Best year was 8-4, worst year was 3-7. Fired or not, it wasn't exemplary.

Richt is Richt, I'm not into comparisons for or against him. Because the rationale we could've used when JJ was hired ("Yeah, but he did it at OKLAHOMA STATE") could've been applied to Golden ("Yeah, but he did it at TEMPLE"). Drastically different coaches, drastically different outcomes.

At the same time just because a bunch of people said Alfredo "Needs time to get his guys in" doesn't mean that Richt doesn't deserve time to assemble his own personnel. We're trying too hard to make comparisons in favor of Richt on one hand, while at the same time trying too hard to find those that make him look like Golden 2.0.

I appreciate the OP's perspective a lot. Might be spot on. That said, I personally don't think the start of one of the most beloved and exciting coaches in Miami's history is a predictor for Richt simply because their approach and even circumstance might be the same. I agree there are players who carry pyrite mindset of Golden. They've dropped balls, missed blocks and reads, generally feeding into this feeling of regression. But Richt has cost us two games in my opinion. Cycle the blame through Play Calling, OL and Kaaya, but it's relatively self-evident to me. His leadership has led directly to losses, in a window of time where he does not have a massive talent advantage against his opponents (although I dispute that he doesn't have any advantage vs UNC and VT. He does).

It's far too early to decide Richt's tenure at Miami. But because he will either succeed or fail, relatively half of the board will be right and claim their insights are borderline prophetic and they knew it all along. I'm in the middle, with lukewarm excitement and real concerns.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our OL talent is well below what is required to compete for a NC. MR has realized this since day 1.

I do not know if MR was fully ready to get back in the saddle, personally I do not think so. His offensive play calling has been mediocre as ****. Bottom lines is once MR gets his players, his record historically has been around 10-2, with no NC. This is why UGA fired him. I preferred Butch Davis for he is much hungrier to come back and finish what he started. Trust me, I've had conversations with him concerning this, however UM politics seem to have gotten in the way.

I really want to give Richt a pass because of the OL, but at the same time the play-calling is on him and that has been a huge part of the issue. I imagine the OL is creating issues with what he wants to accomplish but at the same time running into 8-9 man fronts on first and second down is reminiscent of the coker T.

Just a couple of questions, and not trying to be a smart ***. If you know that your OL aint worth a ****, what good would calling more complex plays, or running a more complex scheme, do for you? Wouldn't you rather call simple **** to actually give those less talented players a chance at being successful? Again, I'm just asking questions.

I dont seem to recall JJ getting fired from a P5 program for being inadequate.

Jimmy Johnson had a .535 winning percentage at Okie State over 5 seasons. Best year was 8-4, worst year was 3-7. Fired or not, it wasn't exemplary.

Richt is Richt, I'm not into comparisons for or against him. Because the rationale we could've used when JJ was hired ("Yeah, but he did it at OKLAHOMA STATE") could've been applied to Golden ("Yeah, but he did it at TEMPLE"). Drastically different coaches, drastically different outcomes.

At the same time just because a bunch of people said Alfredo "Needs time to get his guys in" doesn't mean that Richt doesn't deserve time to assemble his own personnel. We're trying too hard to make comparisons in favor of Richt on one hand, while at the same time trying too hard to find those that make him look like Golden 2.0.

I appreciate the OP's perspective a lot. Might be spot on. That said, I personally don't think the start of one of the most beloved and exciting coaches in Miami's history is a predictor for Richt simply because their approach and even circumstance might be the same. I agree there are players who carry pyrite mindset of Golden. They've dropped balls, missed blocks and reads, generally feeding into this feeling of regression. But Richt has cost us two games in my opinion. Cycle the blame through Play Calling, OL and Kaaya, but it's relatively self-evident to me. His leadership has led directly to losses, in a window of time where he does not have a massive talent advantage against his opponents (although I dispute that he doesn't have any advantage vs UNC and VT. He does).

It's far too early to decide Richt's tenure at Miami. But because he will either succeed or fail, relatively half of the board will be right and claim their insights are borderline prophetic and they knew it all along. I'm in the middle, with lukewarm excitement and real concerns.

Our OL talent is well below what is required to compete for a NC. MR has realized this since day 1.

I do not know if MR was fully ready to get back in the saddle, personally I do not think so. His offensive play calling has been mediocre as ****. Bottom lines is once MR gets his players, his record historically has been around 10-2, with no NC. This is why UGA fired him. I preferred Butch Davis for he is much hungrier to come back and finish what he started. Trust me, I've had conversations with him concerning this, however UM politics seem to have gotten in the way.

Compare MR to Saban and Meyer and you clearly see the differences of what it takes to win a NC. JJ had the same mindset as those two guys..

I really want to give Richt a pass because of the OL, but at the same time the play-calling is on him and that has been a huge part of the issue. I imagine the OL is creating issues with what he wants to accomplish but at the same time running into 8-9 man fronts on first and second down is reminiscent of the coker T.

Just a couple of questions, and not trying to be a smart ***. If you know that your OL aint worth a ****, what good would calling more complex plays, or running a more complex scheme, do for you? Wouldn't you rather call simple **** to actually give those less talented players a chance at being successful? Again, I'm just asking questions.

I don't think play calling needs to be more complex. I mean against Vag Tech if he simply called RB screens all game we would have scored a lot more points. They were selling out quite a bit. We never took advantage of it.

Against FSU all we needed to do was keep our foot on the accelerator and we would have won. We got conservative.

Against UNC, the middle of the middle with our TEs was wide open. We exploited it a few times in the 2nd qtr and really didn't do it the rest of the game.

For some reason we don't seem to be making any in game adjustments. Not sure why.

Advertisement
Good grief.

If Mark Richt was Jimmy Johnson, or anything even close to Jimmy Johnson, we'd ******* know it already.

There is literally no parallels with the two situations other than a disappointing record.

Did you see our OT's perform against FSU/, NC?, VATech? Kayya had less than 1-2 seconds to throw on an average, if that long! Did you see our running game in those games as well?...

Can't answer your question. Only MR can.

Good grief.

If Mark Richt was Jimmy Johnson, or anything even close to Jimmy Johnson, we'd ****ing know it already.

There is literally no parallels with the two situations other than a disappointing record.

Just pointing out what it takes to win a NC. That's all. Once again, I AM NOT NOW NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A MR SUPPORTER. You are getting a taste of why UGA fired him.

Just saying, am just saying that it would not surprise me if MR steps away from this grind at season's end. I just feel that UM talked him out of walking away from the game. He was burnt out, period. This type of work requires someone fully committed, energized, hungry and 24x7 for several years *** kicking dedicated. Don't know if Mark has that in him anymore.

Advertisement

There is no way around that...

If Richt thought the OL was somehow better than it is, and called so many east/west running plays into numbers, that's pretty incompetent.

If Richt knew the OL was as bad as it is, and still called so many east/west running plays into numbers, I don't even know what to facking call that..quitting? lack of any offensive ingenuity or creativity?

There is more to play calling than just lining up and calling quick outs, screens, TE drags. I understand Richt needed to mix it up as they will start sitting on that stuff....but the timing of some of his calls was just simply mind blowing like he thought he was still at UGA with a SEC quality OL.

UM

Darling?? Lmao he's by far not even close our best OL, just playing LT because inept recruiting and development at the position

That is exactly what I said, he cannot play. He is not qualified to be a D1 starting OT.

But he's the best one on our roster. You're trying to say we need to push out our most talented OL just because he's playing out of position due to things he can't control

Can't play OT Bro. Does not have the foot quickness. It is what it is Bro.

He's not going to be thrown off...he's going to be thrown inside. I'm willing to bet Darling's a NFL prospect playing inside

My point exactly. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that

We are not trying to compete for a NC, we are trying to not be 1-3 against decent teams.

I'm not necessarily saying the offense needs to be more complex but pointing out that running on predictable downs and distances makes it rather easy for the defense to stop.

I thought the first 2 drives were more creative and we were using the pass to set up the run. I don't think there is a perfect answer and that's why I'm struggling putting all of the blame on Richt. I just want to see Kaaya put in a spot where he can make plays.

Advertisement
MR's offense is very predictable. He has been disconnected from play calling for way too long. I do believe that the offensive game has passed him by. I lived in GA for several years and followed their program. At UGA, MR did not have a very good working relationship with his DC & OC. There was a lot of backstabbing going on and hence his departure. Now with his OC play calling, we may have found why!!

Good grief.

If Mark Richt was Jimmy Johnson, or anything even close to Jimmy Johnson, we'd ****ing know it already.

Just pointing out what it takes to win a NC. That's all. Once again, I AM NOT NOW NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A MR SUPPORTER. You are getting a taste of why UGA fired him.
I support Richt very much. I'm just saying he has a massive body of work. He isn't a mystery or a guy learning his craft. We know what he is. He can still be successful here IMO.

Advertisement
Like many of you I am very frustrated with our season, However I personally work with a former Canes player from the Schnellenberger/Johnson era that offers a different perspective I had not thought of and from a player's point of view. According to him at the beginning of the Johnson era, there were about 30 players, including him, that revolted against Jimmy's approach and regime. Jimmy was a totally cut throat coach. If you did not do your job, you were replaced immediately. These 30 players were trying to transfer to other schools such as Louisville. His point is that a new coach has to have around 3 years to have his players, culture and philosophy in place. According to this former player, MR's situation is no different. The majority of our players are sub-par players. Not only were the first 4 games were against inferior competition, our Team talent is very inferior to those of the last 3 teams we've played. Defensively we are fine but that offensive line is not of MR's caliber, and as we lose games, the Team's internal negative chatter becomes louder and louder. There will be many other players leaving the team and I guarantee you that next year's offense/offensive live will look totally different than today's.

Our talent IS NOT inferior to UNC or VT.
If your friend said this, then he has no idea what he is talking about.
And your friend and you should consider not dumping on the current players, many of whom were recruited by all the major programs. It is Richt's job to have these players prepared and playing to their collective strengths.
Period.
And back to VT, Frank Beamer did a terrible job of recuirting his last few years, which is why he no longer is working.....left Fuente less than Golden did Richt....I''m not going to bag on our coach yet like many of the hysteria queens on this board but, by the same token, not going to bag on his players either. That's wrong and your friend needs to follow the program closer.

When you travel with only 49 players. You have depth issues anyway you slice it.

Unfortunately Cougar lost that edge post Clemson.

Just saying, am just saying that it would not surprise me if MR steps away from this grind at season's end. I just feel that UM talked him out of walking away from the game. He was burnt out, period. This type of work requires someone fully committed, energized, hungry and 24x7 for several years *** kicking dedicated. Don't know if Mark has that in him anymore.

LOL wait what?

He going to resign at years end? How much you wanna bet?

no coach resigns now a days unless its urban cryer. it makes no sense to with buy out scenarios.

these players, for the most part, have no idea how to win. they are perennial losers on the playing field. brad kaaya is the start. this is a kid who tweeted about how he was sad to see golden go. if kaaya had the performance golden did he would be gone as well. this is not a sport of the weak hearted.

now when richt actually has a recruiting class (this year) lets see what happens. these players have been making freshman mistakes for 2 years plus.

So, you're saying that there's a chance!

Advertisement
Back