Former Player Insider's Perspective

I could be mistaken but in 1984 or 1985 players loved and missed Howard Schnellenberger. I am not sold that Golden was beloved so much that much time is needed for players to buy in into Richt. Huge difference. In fact, some of Golden players have gone on record saying CMR is the best coach in the nation. I do agree that CMR needs time to get his players in and that should definitely improve the product on the field.

That being said, JJ made the necessary changes with his coaching staff after his first season to improve the program. Will CMR do the same?

Advertisement
I could be mistaken but in 1984 or 1985 players loved and missed Howard Schnellenberger. I am not sold that Golden was beloved so much time is needed for players to buy in into Richt. Huge difference. In fact, some of Golden players have gone on record saying CMR is the best coach in the nation. I do agree that CMR needs time to get his players in and that should definitely improve the product on the field.

That being said, JJ made the necessary changes with his coaching staff after his first season to improve the program. Will CMR do the same?

not brad kaaya he cried when golden left.

I could be mistaken but in 1984 or 1985 players loved and missed Howard Schnellenberger. I am not sold that Golden was beloved so much time is needed for players to buy in into Richt. Huge difference. In fact, some of Golden players have gone on record saying CMR is the best coach in the nation. I do agree that CMR needs time to get his players in and that should definitely improve the product on the field.

not brad kaaya he cried when golden left.

Very true statement. Kaaya was not happy about Golden's firing. I believe he was the exception.

Not defending Rich but Sorrels has been saying since day one that we do not have any OT's. I believe MR has recognized this and hence the running game taking priority in the offense. If passing had taken precedence this season, Kaaya would be a dead man right now.

Melvin Bratton was one of the guys who wanted to transfer out. that is a true story. alonzo highsmith was telling guys they came to play for miami dont matter who the is coach.
not only did richt say they dont have OT's. we have 4 ol not including the redshirt who are returning next year that deserve to be here he said numerous times he was shocked by the lack of explosion in our wr's. aside from coley, are most talented wideouts are true freshmen. next year i think richards and mullins can be beasts.

you guys need to get this UNC is a basketball school stuff out of your head. they are just as talented than us if not more. they have playmakers.

Im not anticipating richt fixes this because i have been burned but look at how our freshman makes less mistakes than our upperclassmen. its a culture he has to overcome.
He hired good assistants. all of them have track records of developing top talents. like i always say, how many kids on this offense play or get offered by Richt at FSU or UGA? Very few.

Like many of you I am very frustrated with our season, However I personally work with a former Canes player from the Schnellenberger/Johnson era that offers a different perspective I had not thought of and from a player's point of view. According to him at the beginning of the Johnson era, there were about 30 players, including him, that revolted against Jimmy's approach and regime. Jimmy was a totally cut throat coach. If you did not do your job, you were replaced immediately. These 30 players were trying to transfer to other schools such as Louisville. His point is that a new coach has to have around 3 years to have his players, culture and philosophy in place. According to this former player, MR's situation is no different. The majority of our players are sub-par players. Not only were the first 4 games were against inferior competition, our Team talent is very inferior to those of the last 3 teams we've played. Defensively we are fine but that offensive line is not of MR's caliber, and as we lose games, the Team's internal negative chatter becomes louder and louder. There will be many other players leaving the team and I guarantee you that next year's offense/offensive live will look totally different than today's.

Our talent IS NOT inferior to UNC or VT.
If your friend said this, then he has no idea what he is talking about.
And your friend and you should consider not dumping on the current players, many of whom were recruited by all the major programs. It is Richt's job to have these players prepared and playing to their collective strengths.
Period.
And back to VT, Frank Beamer did a terrible job of recuirting his last few years, which is why he no longer is working.....left Fuente less than Golden did Richt....I''m not going to bag on our coach yet like many of the hysteria queens on this board but, by the same token, not going to bag on his players either. That's wrong and your friend needs to follow the program closer.

VT has a better O line, QB, and RBs alone

all our "nfl" players, it's all hype from practice. They haven't done sh*t except drop more balls than a **** star

This.

Advertisement
From interactions I've had with him in Athens, you are 100% accurate in your description of CMR. He's a really good guy, but he is very competitive as he should be. He hates to lose. He will be fine here, but he does need time. We do have some nice talent right now, but not enough of it.

no coach resigns now a days unless its urban cryer. it makes no sense to with buy out scenarios.

these players, for the most part, have no idea how to win. they are perennial losers on the playing field. brad kaaya is the start. this is a kid who tweeted about how he was sad to see golden go. if kaaya had the performance golden did he would be gone as well. this is not a sport of the weak hearted.

now when richt actually has a recruiting class (this year) lets see what happens. these players have been making freshman mistakes for 2 years plus.

Richt just showed up to drop off 1 mil for the indoor.

LOL

GTFOH OP Jesus Christ

So even if what OP is spewing wasn't total BS, let's look at it from VT's perspective:

Fine, one point worse than FSU - a team with a system and scheme in place and a veteran head coach. Cool.

Fine, 7 points worse than UNC - a team with a system and scheme in place and a groomed head coach (to be kind). Cool. Whatevs.

But even if that makes you happy, what's the excuse for being 21 points worse than Virginia Tech then? A team facing the exact same scenarios (excuses) as Miami and with a less "talented" roster on paper. Are you going to tell us now that you have inside information that Virginia Tech and Frank Beamer were secretly recruiting for Justin Fuente's scheme and planned on hiring him years in advance and that's why it's okay they are so much better than Miami?

Advertisement
Once MR get his players, his record has always been that of a 10-2 team. Do not expect championships for that is not MR's forte.

Uga makes one more pass play vs Bama in SEC title game couple years ago ............they kill Notre Dame in title game and he is still HC there!!

I dont seem to recall JJ getting fired from a P5 program for being inadequate.

Jimmy Johnson had a .535 winning percentage at Okie State over 5 seasons. Best year was 8-4, worst year was 3-7. Fired or not, it wasn't exemplary.

Richt is Richt, I'm not into comparisons for or against him. Because the rationale we could've used when JJ was hired ("Yeah, but he did it at OKLAHOMA STATE") could've been applied to Golden ("Yeah, but he did it at TEMPLE"). Drastically different coaches, drastically different outcomes.

At the same time just because a bunch of people said Alfredo "Needs time to get his guys in" doesn't mean that Richt doesn't deserve time to assemble his own personnel. We're trying too hard to make comparisons in favor of Richt on one hand, while at the same time trying too hard to find those that make him look like Golden 2.0.

I appreciate the OP's perspective a lot. Might be spot on. That said, I personally don't think the start of one of the most beloved and exciting coaches in Miami's history is a predictor for Richt simply because their approach and even circumstance might be the same. I agree there are players who carry pyrite mindset of Golden. They've dropped balls, missed blocks and reads, generally feeding into this feeling of regression. But Richt has cost us two games in my opinion. Cycle the blame through Play Calling, OL and Kaaya, but it's relatively self-evident to me. His leadership has led directly to losses, in a window of time where he does not have a massive talent advantage against his opponents (although I dispute that he doesn't have any advantage vs UNC and VT. He does).

It's far too early to decide Richt's tenure at Miami. But because he will either succeed or fail, relatively half of the board will be right and claim their insights are borderline prophetic and they knew it all along. I'm in the middle, with lukewarm excitement and real concerns.

It's this, but since there are posters who claim they knew Golden was the wrong coach after 5 minutes of the Maryland game, it's the cool thing to say Richt is the wrong coach 7 games into his tenure here.

So even if what OP is spewing wasn't total BS, let's look at it from VT's perspective:

Fine, one point worse than FSU - a team with a system and scheme in place and a veteran head coach. Cool.

Fine, 7 points worse than UNC - a team with a system and scheme in place and a groomed head coach (to be kind). Cool. Whatevs.

But even if that makes you happy, what's the excuse for being 21 points worse than Virginia Tech then? A team facing the exact same scenarios (excuses) as Miami and with a less "talented" roster on paper. Are you going to tell us now that you have inside information that Virginia Tech and Frank Beamer were secretly recruiting for Justin Fuente's scheme and planned on hiring him years in advance and that's why it's okay they are so much better than Miami?

Did you happen to see the home field advantage VT had on Thursday, makes Canes home games look like a morgue.

From interactions I've had with him in Athens, you are 100% accurate in your description of CMR. He's a really good guy, but he is very competitive as he should be. He hates to lose. He will be fine here, but he does need time. We do have some nice talent right now, but not enough of it.

my friend coached knowshown moreno in HS. he said UGA practices were tough. as a matter of fact, he went to UGA because Richt told him he needed to redshirt and would never play as a true fresh. Urban meyer told him he would be starting RB day one. he chose richt because he was straight up.

Advertisement

Did you happen to see the home field advantage VT had on Thursday, makes Canes home games look like a morgue.

Ahhh okay. That's why they were 21 points better. Good deal.

I was worried it was bad coaching, bad play-calling, and an overrated QB.

If that's the case, why wait 3 years (as OP suggested it would take) for Mark Richt to get his system in place? Let's just pack the stadium and blast some Metallica before games and BOOM we're 7 - 0 and this isn't even a thread.

my friend coached knowshown moreno in HS. he said UGA practices were tough. as a matter of fact, he went to UGA because Richt told him he needed to redshirt and would never play as a true fresh. Urban meyer told him he would be starting RB day one. he chose richt because he was straight up.

Grew up in Miami. Played elsewhere. Ended up coaching HS football for years in Georgia. We did his 7v7s in the summer. Your friend is correct!

usp-ncaa-football_-michigan-at-ohio-state-4_3.jpg

Went 5-7 his last year at Michigan in 2014
Was replaced by Harbaugh, who after 20 games as head coach is 17-3 overall. Went 10-3 his first season after replacing Hoke.

Wasn't expecting Richt to come in and have the program do a 180 in terms of winning. There are depth issues within the program, that won't get fixed in a season.

Miami's football program is exactly where it was a year ago. 2015, Miami's record was 4-3 and coming off Dabo the Gawwd dropping 58 points in Sun Life.
How far away is the program currently from that team 365 days ago?

Hoke had a top 3 class right before being fired. He was starting to bring in the talent. Harbaugh had a full cupboard on defense and o-line.

Advertisement

Grew up in Miami. Played elsewhere. Ended up coaching HS football for years in Georgia. We did his 7v7s in the summer. Your friend is correct!

i remember it was when florida was really good. i said Why UGA? he said facilities were great but he felt urban was full of crap. he said he knew he was not going to be the starting rb as a true fresh. he said best thing he ever did was redshirt under richt. keep in mind, both him and thomas brown had serious injuries that prevented them from reachign their NFL potential.

Rick is the polar opposite of JJ and no one is revolting against him. Other than that, very insightful parallel, OP.

That's only partially true chise. No one left is revolting against him & although a polar opposite he's equally as demanding. You either do your job or you will be replaced. He just doesn't have any of his players to replace people with.

Their home field advantage is worth 21+ points? That's awesome. Never heard that before. So, Folden overcame an immediate 21 point deficit to defeat them in Blackturd a couple years ago?

I dont seem to recall JJ getting fired from a P5 program for being inadequate.

Jimmy Johnson had a .535 winning percentage at Okie State over 5 seasons. Best year was 8-4, worst year was 3-7. Fired or not, it wasn't exemplary.

Richt is Richt, I'm not into comparisons for or against him. Because the rationale we could've used when JJ was hired ("Yeah, but he did it at OKLAHOMA STATE") could've been applied to Golden ("Yeah, but he did it at TEMPLE"). Drastically different coaches, drastically different outcomes.

At the same time just because a bunch of people said Alfredo "Needs time to get his guys in" doesn't mean that Richt doesn't deserve time to assemble his own personnel. We're trying too hard to make comparisons in favor of Richt on one hand, while at the same time trying too hard to find those that make him look like Golden 2.0.

I appreciate the OP's perspective a lot. Might be spot on. That said, I personally don't think the start of one of the most beloved and exciting coaches in Miami's history is a predictor for Richt simply because their approach and even circumstance might be the same. I agree there are players who carry pyrite mindset of Golden. They've dropped balls, missed blocks and reads, generally feeding into this feeling of regression. But Richt has cost us two games in my opinion. Cycle the blame through Play Calling, OL and Kaaya, but it's relatively self-evident to me. His leadership has led directly to losses, in a window of time where he does not have a massive talent advantage against his opponents (although I dispute that he doesn't have any advantage vs UNC and VT. He does).

It's far too early to decide Richt's tenure at Miami. But because he will either succeed or fail, relatively half of the board will be right and claim their insights are borderline prophetic and they knew it all along. I'm in the middle, with lukewarm excitement and real concerns.

It's this, but since there are posters who claim they knew Golden was the wrong coach after 5 minutes of the Maryland game, it's the cool thing to say Richt is the wrong coach 7 games into his tenure here.

That's silly. I didn't know he was garbage until the post game presser when he was crying.

Advertisement
Back