Former Player Insider's Perspective

twalcott5

Freshman
Like many of you I am very frustrated with our season, However I personally work with a former Canes player from the Schnellenberger/Johnson era that offers a different perspective I had not thought of and from a player's point of view. According to him at the beginning of the Johnson era, there were about 30 players, including him, that revolted against Jimmy's approach and regime. Jimmy was a totally cut throat coach. If you did not do your job, you were replaced immediately. These 30 players were trying to transfer to other schools such as Louisville. His point is that a new coach has to have around 3 years to have his players, culture and philosophy in place. According to this former player, MR's situation is no different. The majority of our players are sub-par players. Not only were the first 4 games were against inferior competition, our Team talent is very inferior to those of the last 3 teams we've played. Defensively we are fine but that offensive line is not of MR's caliber, and as we lose games, the Team's internal negative chatter becomes louder and louder. There will be many other players leaving the team and I guarantee you that next year's offense/offensive live will look totally different than today's.

Advertisement
This is the exact same thing my sister said about Jimmy Johnson when he first came. He came in during her last semester at Miami and she said that was the chatter among the players at that time. They did not like Jimmy AT ALL.

Rick is the polar opposite of JJ and no one is revolting against him. Other than that, very insightful parallel, OP.

Rick is the polar opposite of JJ and no one is revolting against him. Other than that, very insightful parallel, OP.

This is not what I am hearing at all. Nice and sweet in front of cameras but pretty driven, fair and an sob on the field. Face it, there are many players on this team from the Golden(Entitlement) era, and many that can't play, like Darling, that will not be here next year. He has already gotten rid of about 20 of them.

For sure the losing/quitting/sucking mentallity has top be cvnt punted from the team. Too many mentally weak sacks of **** (mostly on the O line) for the winning to happen in 1 season...but....the playcalling on O has been turrbl

Advertisement
For sure the losing/quitting/sucking mentallity has top be cvnt punted from the team. Too many mentally weak sacks of **** (mostly on the O line) for the winning to happen in 1 season...but....the playcalling on O has been turrbl

Totally agree.

there are not enough scholarship players left for us to get rid of too many. We are currently well below the 85 limit. We can only bring in so many. And lets be honest, its not like we have starter level kids beating the door down to come here. We are struggling to get cbs and wr. In south florida no less! So the recruiting needs to make a pretty big push in order to be letting too many guys go. I am sure there are plenty of guys not happy with the new staff. I am actually starting to think Brad is one of them.... I think they want him under center and he can't do it. So its completely neutered the playbook. This only leaves trying to run from the shotgun and well we have all seen that so far. It works fairly well in certain situations, but once the box gets filled up theres no where to go. Heck, half the time we can't run against a 6 man front, let alone an 8 man front....

More excuses!!! Forget about FSU and Va Tech. Losing to North Carolina was totally on Richt and his play calling.

That's a huge cop-out to say our talent is inferior to the last 3 teams, and it's simply not true.

You want to blame the depth, esp with all the recent injuries, but Jesus come on.

We lost because of:
Poor OL play
Kaaya being rattled
Dumb mistakes
Poor SP play

Advertisement
I really want to give Richt a pass because of the OL, but at the same time the play-calling is on him and that has been a huge part of the issue. I imagine the OL is creating issues with what he wants to accomplish but at the same time running into 8-9 man fronts on first and second down is reminiscent of the coker T.

Got to agree with you. Plus, JJ was replacing god -- THE MAN who won our first NC just months before. Players want HC to come from his staff. Nobody wanted any coach from Golden's staff to become HC. JJ came in with chip bigger than all those players combined -- take this talent and kill OU with it. Mark should have similar chip. JJ was forced to keep Howard's leftovers; Mark got to clean house. When he fired his old roommate, Art, I had hope that he was a man possessed; then he hired his son and that hope fled. JJ had no mercy; Mark has The Bible. I am deeply religious but the good Marist brothers who educated me, made it clear -- mercy is for after the game.

Like many of you I am very frustrated with our season, However I personally work with a former Canes player from the Schnellenberger/Johnson era that offers a different perspective I had not thought of and from a player's point of view. According to him at the beginning of the Johnson era, there were about 30 players, including him, that revolted against Jimmy's approach and regime. Jimmy was a totally cut throat coach. If you did not do your job, you were replaced immediately. These 30 players were trying to transfer to other schools such as Louisville. His point is that a new coach has to have around 3 years to have his players, culture and philosophy in place. According to this former player, MR's situation is no different. The majority of our players are sub-par players. Not only were the first 4 games were against inferior competition, our Team talent is very inferior to those of the last 3 teams we've played. Defensively we are fine but that offensive line is not of MR's caliber, and as we lose games, the Team's internal negative chatter becomes louder and louder. There will be many other players leaving the team and I guarantee you that next year's offense/offensive live will look totally different than today's.

Our talent IS NOT inferior to UNC or VT.
If your friend said this, then he has no idea what he is talking about.
And your friend and you should consider not dumping on the current players, many of whom were recruited by all the major programs. It is Richt's job to have these players prepared and playing to their collective strengths.
Period.
And back to VT, Frank Beamer did a terrible job of recuirting his last few years, which is why he no longer is working.....left Fuente less than Golden did Richt....I''m not going to bag on our coach yet like many of the hysteria queens on this board but, by the same token, not going to bag on his players either. That's wrong and your friend needs to follow the program closer.

Got to agree with you. Plus, JJ was replacing god -- THE MAN who won our first NC just months before. Players want HC to come from his staff. Nobody wanted any coach from Golden's staff to become HC. JJ came in with chip bigger than all those players combined -- take this talent and kill OU with it. Mark should have similar chip. JJ was forced to keep Howard's leftovers; Mark got to clean house. When he fired his old roommate, Art, I had hope that he was a man possessed; then he hired his son and that hope fled. JJ had no mercy; Mark has The Bible. I am deeply religious but the good Marist brothers who educated me, made it clear -- mercy is for after the game.

Howard's guys won a NC, there was no reason to want to clean house.

Advertisement

If your friend said this, then he has no idea what he is talking about.
And your friend and you should consider not dumping on the current players, many of whom were recruited by all the major programs. It is Richt's job to have these players prepared and playing to their collective strengths.
Period.
And back to VT, Frank Beamer did a terrible job of recuirting his last few years, which is why he no longer is working.....left Fuente less than Golden did Richt....I''m not going to bag on our coach yet like many of the hysteria queens on this board but, by the same token, not going to bag on his players either. That's wrong and your friend needs to follow the program closer.

VT has a better O line, QB, and RBs alone

all our "nfl" players, it's all hype from practice. They haven't done sh*t except drop more balls than a **** star

That's a huge cop-out to say our talent is inferior to the last 3 teams, and it's simply not true.

You want to blame the depth, esp with all the recent injuries, but Jesus come on.

We lost because of:
Poor OL play
Kaaya being rattled
Dumb mistakes
Poor SP play

Good example of inferior talent. Hey I've never been an MR supporter. There is a reason why GA fired him! Butch has always been my man but I also have to be fair and objective here and say that most of our players could not even be back ups at Ohio State, Bama, FSU, etc... The players that have performed in the past but are not now are more than likely the ones anti-MR and Kaaya could very well be one of them. I do not think he is happy at all with the run most of the time offense.

Advertisement
usp-ncaa-football_-michigan-at-ohio-state-4_3.jpg

Went 5-7 his last year at Michigan in 2014
Was replaced by Harbaugh, who after 20 games as head coach is 17-3 overall. Went 10-3 his first season after replacing Hoke.

Wasn't expecting Richt to come in and have the program do a 180 in terms of winning. There are depth issues within the program, that won't get fixed in a season.

Miami's football program is exactly where it was a year ago. 2015, Miami's record was 4-3 and coming off Dabo the Gawwd dropping 58 points in Sun Life.
How far away is the program currently from that team 365 days ago?

This is not what I am hearing at all. Nice and sweet in front of cameras but pretty driven, fair and an sob on the field. Face it, there are many players on this team from the Golden(Entitlement) era, and many that can't play, like Darling, that will not be here next year. He has already gotten rid of about 20 of them.

Darling?? Lmao he's by far not even close our best OL, just playing LT because inept recruiting and development at the position

Not defending Rich but Sorrels has been saying since day one that we do not have any OT's. I believe MR has recognized this and hence the running game taking priority in the offense. If passing had taken precedence this season, Kaaya would be a dead man right now.

On offense, UNC has a better QB, better O-line, at least as good receivers (Bug Howard, Switzer), and at least as good RBs, so the only position we are possibly better at is TE.

On defense, we may eventually have better players but our defense is VERY young other than Corn and the ****** safeties, plus we had no Willis, Thomas, nor D-Jack in the 2H of UNC and not at all against VT.

On special teams we have a stud punter but the UNC punter was just as good and their PK hit a 55 yd game winner against FSU and another long FG against us vs the smiling ****** from Jersey.

Advertisement
Back